Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is this result above average? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=373104)

11-06-2005 07:33 PM

Is this result above average?

I recently started going to a game at my college. $.10/$.20 NLHE, $10 buy-in for first three hours, $20 after that. There were 9 guys total. After 8 hours, I had $300 in front of me. They were all really bad, and kept rebuying because they felt that I was just lucky.

In most of you all's experience, is this normal? Poker is my hobby, I study it like a chess player studies his game. How often do you hear of players getting a five-fold return on their buy-in? Was I just incredibely lucky, or can I expect returns like this on average?

smoore 11-06-2005 08:25 PM

Re: Is this result above average?

The good end of variance, I'd imagine.

orange 11-06-2005 08:40 PM

Depends how bad/stupid your opposition is. And rich. I imagine you won't be walking away with 30/15x the buy-in normally though.

flatline 11-06-2005 10:43 PM

Nice brag thread.

11-07-2005 08:36 AM

I took 100k off my grandma earlier tonight playing HU. Above average?

11-07-2005 09:35 AM

I do not think it is possible to consistently win this. There are two main reasons for this. The first is that you were just lucky and can expect your long term results to reflect that. The second is that if you were not particularly lucky then you can expect them to forget to invite you fairly shortly.

varoadstter 11-07-2005 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently started going to a game at my college. $.10/$.20 NLHE, $10 buy-in for first three hours, $20 after that. There were 9 guys total. After 8 hours, I had $300 in front of me. I won a lot of money.

Am I the best ever? Should I leave college and turn pro? Enough about me, let's talk about you. Don't you think I'm great?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

jojobinks 11-07-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I recently started going to a game at my college. $.10/$.20 NLHE, $10 buy-in for first three hours, $20 after that. There were 9 guys total. After 8 hours, I had $300 in front of me. I won a lot of money.

Am I the best ever? Should I leave college and turn pro? Enough about me, let's talk about you. Don't you think I'm great?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

aw snap.
seriously though, you are the best ever.

11-07-2005 11:14 PM

Love these sarcastic responses. If you hadn't gotten the picture yet, no, this is not average. And as they say, take the money and run.

Honestly, I'd play a few hands like crap to get invited back. Welcome a bad beat, cause it's the only thing that'll keep you getting invited.

But don't worry- you'll see the ass end of the variance soon; happens to everyone.

Richie Rich 11-10-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently started going to a game at my college. $.10/$.20 NLHE, $10 buy-in for first three hours, $20 after that. There were 9 guys total. After 8 hours, I had $300 in front of me. They were all really bad, and kept rebuying because they felt that I was just lucky.

In most of you all's experience, is this normal? Poker is my hobby, I study it like a chess player studies his game. How often do you hear of players getting a five-fold return on their buy-in? Was I just incredibely lucky, or can I expect returns like this on average?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are The One.