Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Rambling thoughts about the US military (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401350)

Sponger15SB 12-19-2005 01:06 PM

Rambling thoughts about the US military

So I don't post much in this forum but I had this bad idea that I haven't thought much about so I'm hoping people can expand on it, tell me why its wrong, or point me in a direction where I can read more ideas on it...

So why don't we just leave? Like, hey, maybe one day we can realize that 90% of the military is a humongous waste and we should just leave a lot of courties and stop interfering and caring and save everyone trillions of dollars. Its cool, I got this idea while watching one of those national geographic shows about the latest bizillion dollar aircraft carier and it got me thinking about how much of a massive waste the thing is. Not only in contstruction but time wasted in training and housing and paying all of the military people who are most likely doing something that isn't necessary anyways. So what if we just said [censored] everyone and left.

Sponger for prez '08

BCPVP 12-19-2005 01:09 PM

Re: Rambling thoughts about the US military

Do you like chinese food?

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 01:10 PM

Because if we left, we wouldn't be able to protect our overseas interests, which, as the world's only remaining superpower, is all that matters.

Sponger15SB 12-19-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if we left, we wouldn't be able to protect our overseas interests, which, as the world's only remaining superpower, is all that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we have to protect this? Why do we have to be interested in anything overseas?

Sponger15SB 12-19-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Now answer my question, politics boy.

BCPVP 12-19-2005 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Now answer my question, politics boy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good.

Short answer is that in the past when we've "disarmed", we've been ill-prepared for the next war and have probably suffered tens of thousands (if not hundreds) of unnecessary casualties because of it.

lehighguy 12-19-2005 01:17 PM

What next war? There are no more wars. We have nuclear weapons. Why doesn't anyone understand this? Conventional warfare is a thing of the past.

Sponger15SB 12-19-2005 01:18 PM

How long ago did this plan take place? WW1? The US military doesn't die anymore in conflicts. If we did, we could probably just build bigger bombs and launch them from US soil or something?

Also, we could be so ill-prepared that the next war won't even happen. Which would be all part of my plan.

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we have to protect this? Why do we have to be interested in anything overseas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because ultimately the most important political force in America is the state of our economy and much of our economy relies on overseas markets. Therefore, we maintain a heavy presence throughout the world in order to protect our business interests.

BCPVP 12-19-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What next war?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm talking historically. Especially between WWI and WWII.

[ QUOTE ]
We have nuclear weapons. Why doesn't anyone understand this? Conventional warfare is a thing of the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we're too pussy to use them anymore except maybe if attacked in kind.