Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   pokertracker and taxes (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321672)

illini99 08-24-2005 03:03 AM

pokertracker and taxes

Does anyone use pokertracker as their only record for paying taxes? Is it sufficient?
If you don't use pokertracker as your record, what do you use and how do you record your sessions?

Lost Wages 08-24-2005 08:38 AM

Re: pokertracker and taxes

That's what I use. I export my sessions to a spreadsheet at the end of each month. If you are not filing as a professional then you need to total your winning sessions and report that as income, then total your losing sessions and report that as a deduction.

Lost Wages

HoldEmKillah 08-24-2005 03:19 PM

And what if you ARE filing as a pro?

unreal_nh 08-24-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what if you ARE filing as a pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then i believe you file a schedule C. tell me if i'm wrong.

StacysMom 08-24-2005 05:16 PM

I have yet to hear of someone getting in trouble for not filing as a professional and not reporting session by session. I just report net income as other income and leave it at that. I cannot imagine jsomeone getting in trouble for doing it this way, especially when all your transfer recoreds reflect the amount of income you made.

Lost Wages 08-25-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to hear of someone getting in trouble for not filing as a professional and not reporting session by session.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't actually report session by session, just your total wins and total losses. The IRS requires you to keep a session log as a record but you don't send it in. If you are audited you can most definitely be fined for inadequate record keeping and you risk having your deductions (losses) disallowed.

Lost Wages

Python49 08-25-2005 04:24 PM

It basically comes down to "none of us know sh*t for a fact so let's hope we arent the guy that's made an example and have to find out what's really the case the hard way..."

lozen 08-25-2005 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to hear of someone getting in trouble for not filing as a professional and not reporting session by session. I just report net income as other income and leave it at that. I cannot imagine jsomeone getting in trouble for doing it this way, especially when all your transfer recoreds reflect the amount of income you made.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a serious mistake. Being A CDN who knows US tax law very well you pay a higher tax rate on other income( commonly known on the form as unearned income) than you do if declaring as a main source of income. I do believe Billy Baxterbattled the IRs on this and won about 15 years ago.

Nigel 08-25-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I use. I export my sessions to a spreadsheet at the end of each month. If you are not filing as a professional then you need to total your winning sessions and report that as income, then total your losing sessions and report that as a deduction.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost,

Can you do that from PT or do you just do it manually from Access?

Thanks,

Nigel

RunDownHouse 08-25-2005 05:04 PM

I ran across these two posts on taxes and poker today. Thanks to Iggy (the BlogFather) for linking them.

Taxes and Online Gambling, Pt. 1
Taxes and Online Gambling, Pt. 2