Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ever give credit for quads (when holding second nuts)? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291848)

deadmoney98 07-13-2005 03:49 AM

Ever give credit for quads (when holding second nuts)?

PartyPoker NL50 (10 handed)

Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and has $41.20
MP has $22.35
Villain has us both covered with $47.15

Pre-flop
Folds to MP who min raises to $1, Villain calls, Hero calls.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checks around

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $0.50
Villain raises to $3
Hero calls

River 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $5
Villain raises all-in
Hero???

and yes I know AA would be the second nuts...

Macquarie 07-13-2005 04:04 AM

Re: Ever give credit for quads (when holding second nuts)?

Why bet the river here? Villain is not calling without an ace or a nine, so you're splitting or losing. I think I'd check-call a small bet, and might fold to a huge overbet.

webmonarch 07-13-2005 08:40 AM

I might not give credit for quads if there were only two cards of my concern (i.e., he would need the PP for quads), but only needing one card? Yeah, I def. would consider that he happens to have that one card.

wslee00 07-13-2005 11:18 AM

if I have QQ
and flop comes Q T T

I do NOT give credit for quads - all my money is going in the middle if someone goes all-in

if I have QQ and flop comes KKQ, then I become wary of KQ beating me and may lay it down, but I do not give him credit for KK

and I agree with the other posters that yes, I give him credit for quads IF the other 3 cards of that rank are out there

theben 07-13-2005 11:52 AM

yes, once. i had JJ and he had TT

the flop was J 3 3. turn and river were T, T. after he put in a 4th raise on the end, i realized he didnt have JT or AT, and had flopped 3's or hit T's. of course i called

Go_Blue88 07-13-2005 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why bet the river here? Villain is not calling without an ace or a nine, so you're splitting or losing. I think I'd check-call a small bet, and might fold to a huge overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

By betting on the river, he at least gave himself a chance to get away from the hand. If he checks, and Villian bets big, then he's in a tough spot. Betting 5 allowed him to get away from this hand cheaply in my opinion...

GrunchCan 07-13-2005 11:58 AM

Cancel that, I'm a donk.

soah 07-13-2005 11:59 AM

It also allows him to give up half of the pot when he is wrong.

Go_Blue88 07-13-2005 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It also allows him to give up half of the pot when he is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, then how would you play the river?

GrunchCan 07-13-2005 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By betting on the river, he at least gave himself a chance to get away from the hand. If he checks, and Villian bets big, then he's in a tough spot. Betting 5 allowed him to get away from this hand cheaply in my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Hero make the hand difficult for himself when he probe-bet the turn? Wouldnt it have been better to put out a more reasonable bet, say $2.00? Isn't villan's only real response to the probe-bet a pot-sized raise, which is what he did? I really have trouble with the tiny little bet on the turn.