Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How was my play: 'Was this a hold up attempt'? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340758)

FouTight 09-20-2005 01:13 PM

How was my play: \'Was this a hold up attempt\'?

Basically, I was working on my car stereo out on the street and I was in a prone position with parts of my car all over the place. I was wearing old basketball shorts that clearly had no pockets.

3 guys walk past me, appear younger at first then I later found out they were, one was carrying a case of 'Beast'. Then, a few seconds later, I hear one of them say "Yo" and I look up, and he's walking towards me, knife drawn and in hand.

The first thing out of his mouth is "Hey man, can I have $5" and I'm thinking, "Holy crap, I'm stuck with my leg under my seat and wedged inside this car and have no way to defend myself"

He then continues "I'll give you this knife for $5". Now, being that I don't even have pockets, I explain to him that I don't have any money. He then proceeds to ask me if I can have a ride. I reference my car, in pieces at this point.

Now, it's worth noting at this point that although there are 3 of them, they appear rather drunk and small compared to me. I think it would have been a close fight. Furthermore, these are dumb guys, either they are trying to hold me up for $5, or this genious had the bright idea of approaching someone to sell a knife with the knife out and asking for money. If not for my positioning in the car, at this point I would have probably begun my fight or flight sequence, but neither of these options were available to me.

I will post results later.

09-20-2005 01:15 PM

Re: How was my play: \'Was this a hold up attempt\'?

Start crying about how it just isnt working out

Dominic 09-20-2005 01:16 PM

I say, "hold on, let mecheck to see if I brought my wallet."

And extricate myself from the car, pat myself down, and say,"nope."

Now at least you can fight or run.

miajag81 09-20-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say, "hold on, let mecheck to see if I brought my wallet."

Reach in glove box, pull out .45, aim it at him, and say,"nope."

[/ QUOTE ]

steelcmg 09-20-2005 01:25 PM

I think these guys where probably just poor drunk bastards and the guy was selling the knife to get a pack of ciggerates.

ethan 09-20-2005 01:30 PM

Whatever you do, avoid the knife fight option if possible. Even drunks can get lucky, and getting stabbed sucks. <font color="white">Just ask jason_t.</font>

FouTight 09-20-2005 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, avoid the knife fight option if possible. Even drunks can get lucky, and getting stabbed sucks. <font color="white">Just ask jason_t.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a major part of my thought process.

So, with the following variables I made this decision...

A) They had position on me (drunks left center and right, car behind)
B) They had weapon
C) They had me out numbered

I decided to just give them a ride. I realize this could have potentially led to much much worse, but I figured I would be alright so long as I stayed on main roads and didn't wait around for them once they got out.

More to come.

Shajen 09-20-2005 01:51 PM

Don't work on your car in the street in a seedy neighborhood.

That snide-assed comment out of the way, get yourself extracated from the car, that way if it goes down, you're in a position to defend yourself.

End results: They offered you a beer after chatting you up. You drank it with them and learned a valuable life lesson.

RunDownHouse 09-20-2005 02:32 PM

I guess it was obvious that it was just something superficial you were working on? If you had been able to convince them that the car couldn't start for whatever reason (electrical), that would have been best.

FouTight 09-20-2005 02:47 PM

They would have to be REALLY dumb (they may have been though) to not realize that the RCA cables were for the stereo, plus my car is relatively new and it would be heard to believe it had any problems just judging by looking at it.

So, no more suspense, as this story has no real climax.

I agree to take them to the next town over. We got in the car, and, before we got to the end of the block, they are opening "Beers" and drinking. This is obviously not an issue for them, they must do this all the time. They were already stinking drunk, (by stinking drunk, I mean, they stunk) and I decided that if I got pulled over, I would tell the officer I was being hijacked, problem solved (I also considered intentially getting pulled over at this point).

On the trip, the one guy starts admiring my handywork (the stereo, etc) so now I'm thinking "Great, this guys are going to come back and steal my [censored] now too" so I start going on about how my stupid alarm is really sensative and goes off all the time, in an attempt to plant the seed of stealing my [censored] being a bad idea.

On the trip, Stinky #1 asks if he can use my phone... .why not, at any rate, if something bad did happen to me, they coudl trace the calls being made and at least find some sort of clues through that, so, in fact, I thought this was a fine idea. Boy, was that funny, he was literally sreaming at the top of his lungs at whoever was on the other end, he would hold it up to his ear and say "yeah, yeah, yeah" and then grab the phone, hold it up to his mouth like a mic, and yell "I need money, I'm comming to get $20!!!".

I was pretty much doing everything I can not to laugh at this point. I finally drop the Stinky Bros. off and make note of where they live (in case anything goes a missing in the coming weeks).

Got home, and deodorized the [censored] out of my car.

I feel as though I played this very poorly, and probably should have just walked away or fought them in the begining.

Eurotrash 09-20-2005 03:01 PM

i'll grant that you had to act quickly and were under duress to some extent. that said, I still think this was misplayed on every street (specifically the one where your car was parked)

what kind of neighborhood is this that you were installing your stereo (presumably) in the middle of the day and some punks walk up with a knife? I think letting them into your car was a bad idea. giving them your phone, while something I also wouldn't do, was probably an ok play. I guess once you're confined to the car you wouldn't want one of them to start slashing at you.

I'd like to know more about the neighborhood though, if you don't mind divulging

FouTight 09-20-2005 03:42 PM

perfectly typical suburban territory.

South East East of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Low crime rate, mostly middle class families. These bums, as I said, where from a town over, which is feeling the effects of the bush administaration worse then ours.

Only other encounters I've had in this area were typical growing up in grade school type of fights. The cops used to harass us weekly for being too loud as we sat out BSing with each other, so, it's pretty slow crime wise. It was a very unusual situation.

I definately agree though, I should have folded preflop and just beat it, but my car was open and all my relatively expensive stereo equipment was just laying there. I thought slightly about raising the flop and trying to knock them down before we got in the car, but I just check called the whole way. it was loose, I know

(Sorry, but I love the fact that the card game references really rub some people the wrong way)

STLantny 09-20-2005 03:52 PM

Im sorry, you may not be a complete moron normally, but giving these guys a ride is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

RunDownHouse 09-20-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry, you may not be a complete moron normally, but giving these guys a ride is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also think going for a ride with them was a horrible decision.

4_2_it 09-20-2005 04:16 PM

You should have folded pre-flop.

FouTight 09-20-2005 04:47 PM

usually I would agree, but I already posted the big blind...

During and after the situation, except for the first 15 seconds after I first saw the knife, I felt never felt like I didn't have control over the situation. The small crow bar I keep under my seat was also a a bit of comfort. I didn't want to leave the table with about 175 BB sitting there.

09-20-2005 05:19 PM

I'm sorry to say it but you fkn retarded. Rule 1 if some [censored] is going down get away. IE oh you need $5 hold on, let em go in the house and get it. Run inside and:
(A) Grab a gun/bat/tazer/kitchen knife,
(B) Call 911 and lock the door
(C) Both of the previous.
If you can't seem to get away then what do you have around you:
(A) SCREWDRIVER
(B) Pliers
(C)If your like me you keep a 3 or 4 cell maglight under or behind your seat within reach.
(D) Other tool you were using that could do serious damage to the eyes/crotch of said retards

Knife cuts are rarely fatal unless the underside of you arm, inside of the leg , or neck. Use the top of you arms to block slices and stabs as they won't do a ton of damage.

The worst thing you could do? "Sure I'm a tard, i'm give you a ride!" Think about this: These guys carjack/mug/kill people from time to time. They decide to kill you and take your car. They are drunk and don't feel like driving. So they ask you to drive them. They call up a friend who works a chop shop in his garage and the "yeah"s are I'm on the way with a car clear out the garage. They pull up one in the back grabs your head and slices you neck. You are unconsious after about 15-25 seconds and dead in around a minute. They push your body over and drive into the garage. You get dug up 15 years later when the new owners are trying to install a pool!

Congratz your a tard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pauliewalnuts 09-20-2005 05:35 PM

Giving them a ride obviously wasnt the best idea. Clearly you need watch the "Thats My Dog" episode of Six Feet Under.

Thebram 09-20-2005 05:59 PM

My wife likes to watch these horrible crime documentaries on A&amp;E and court TV. I can almost hear the Keith David voice over now...

[ QUOTE ]
Port Vue, Pennsylvania
An ideal suburban community. A small town of nice houses, nice schools and nice neighbors. Or it was, until the summer of 2005 when a string of terrible crimes and a six-pack of Beast turned a model citizen into a cleaved corpse and left the idyllic town shattered by the terrifying knowledge that a killer was among them.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothumb 09-20-2005 06:19 PM

Putting these guys in your car was really, really terrible. They're obviously amateurs if they're trying to commit a crime and idiots if they aren't (well, idiots either way really) so you treat them as such. As stated before, go in the house and call the police. It's not like you have to worry about them stealing your stuff; they're on foot and they're drunk. If you're not feeling that nasty, go in the house, then tell them to [censored] off or you'll call the police. Having a gun to wave around in this case is never a bad idea. I keep a very realistic looking air-cartridge handgun for situations like this. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally killing one if I do shoot them.

NT

MonkeeMan 09-20-2005 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having a gun to wave around in this case is never a bad idea. I keep a very realistic looking air-cartridge handgun for situations like this. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally killing one if I do shoot them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad move. If you pull a gun, it better be real, loaded, and safety off.

FouTight 09-20-2005 06:46 PM

actually, when I replayed this scenario in my head, I saw myself going into the house and saying I would be right back, and then the garage door slowly opens with me holding a shotgun in total badass stance. However, in this strongly democratic area (and I myself am a democrat, but happen to be pro gun), even pulling a gun can land you in some trouble.

Basically, the way things where setup, I felt I had control of the situation from the point that I got out of the car on. I can't explain all the details or variables but, I was constantly analying my situation and preparing for whatever may happen.

Nothing did, they turned out to just honestly need a ride, just had a very strange approach to it.

Leo99 09-20-2005 08:51 PM

Next time act real ed off cause your stereo won't work. Curse a lot. The Mofo stero ain't mofo working, I ain't got no mofo $5 and I ain't going on no mofo ride right now.

jesusarenque 09-20-2005 09:29 PM

...or maybe these were just some drunk guys who wanted $5 to buy some smokes, so they thought they would try selling a knife. When they couldn't do that, they tried to get a ride home. Not everyone is out to get you. Kudos for helping somebody out.

RunDownHouse 09-20-2005 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having a gun to wave around in this case is never a bad idea. I keep a very realistic looking air-cartridge handgun for situations like this. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally killing one if I do shoot them.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a really, really good way to get shot.

FouTight 09-20-2005 11:20 PM

I may have missed a key point here, they claimed they wanted the $5 for gas money and that their car was out of gas about 5 miles away. (although this wasn't the first thing they said, which would have made them a lot less likely to get into a fight and a lot more likley to get help)

This pretty much made sense, as they didn't live close and wouldn't otherwise be walking through my neighborhood.

and, it's not like I lied about sleeping with them...

Sully 09-20-2005 11:30 PM

This should have been posted in the high stakes forum. You were playing for the highest of stakes.

And yes, it was misplayed on every street.

HopeydaFish 09-21-2005 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...or maybe these were just some drunk guys who wanted $5 to buy some smokes, so they thought they would try selling a knife. When they couldn't do that, they tried to get a ride home. Not everyone is out to get you. Kudos for helping somebody out.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should perhaps consider selling something a little less "stabby" if they hope to attract customers. I think the sales pitch was more along the lines of "You can either buy this knife from me, or I can stick it in your chest, your choice."

roxtar 09-21-2005 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep a very realistic looking air-cartridge handgun for situations like this. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally killing one if I do shoot them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would you want to shoot someone and NOT kill them?

Mason Hellmuth 09-21-2005 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally drop the Stinky Bros. off and make note of where they live

[/ QUOTE ]
Was it in Pleasant Unity?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought slightly about... trying to knock them down before we got in the car

[/ QUOTE ]
My mental picture of this is hilarious. I think the height difference makes me think of five-year-olds.

[ QUOTE ]
but I just check called the whole way. it was loose, I know

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop doing this, seriously.

[ QUOTE ]
I keep a very realistic looking air-cartridge handgun for situations like this. That way I don't have to worry about accidentally killing one if I do shoot them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you were smarter than this. Let's say you shoot one with your airgun. Now he's not dead, but he's pissed off. Have you increased or decreased your chances of getting seriously hurt or killed? When you draw a gun, you better be ready to use it. None of this "draw to scare" or "shoot to maim" stuff. Your life is on the line.

[ QUOTE ]
I saw myself going into the house and saying I would be right back, and then the garage door slowly opens with me holding a shotgun in total badass stance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get this. Say "BRB".

[ QUOTE ]
and, it's not like I lied about sleeping with them...

[/ QUOTE ]
So you did sleep with them?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't work on your car in the street in a seedy neighborhood.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what kind of neighborhood is this that you were installing your stereo (presumably) in the middle of the day and some punks walk up with a knife?

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. This neighborhood is the farthest thing from "seedy" I have ever seen. The average area resident is far more likely to be incredibly stupid than even moderately malicious. I think that given the circumstances (which are admittedly hard to understand from his description), Hero's play is much less terrible than it sounds.

MrTrik 09-21-2005 07:16 AM

I cannot believe you drove three drunk guys with a knife somewhere. It is quite amazing you are still alive. You Sir are a criminal's dream date.

FouTight 09-21-2005 10:27 AM

Acually, I only drove 2 of them, there was too much [censored] in my car to fit 3, and the [censored] was piled ina manner that prevented stinky 1 or 2 from sitting behind me.

At any rate, you couldn't really understand the scope of the situation without being there.

RunDownHouse 09-21-2005 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At any rate, you couldn't really understand the scope of the situation without being there.

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you didn't really understand the scope of the situation even though you were there.

nothumb 09-21-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a really, really good way to get shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they had a gun, I think hero would have seen it already.

I also have the benefit of living in an area where very few people have guns, or know how to shoot one for that matter. I wouldn't pull something like this in most cities.

If the OP would have gotten in trouble simply for showing a weapon when three guys came on his property uninvited, brandishing a knife and start making vaguely threatening demands, he should seriously consider a change of locale. I'm not a hostile guy, but what's the point of allowing people to own guns if you can't use one?

NT