Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400238)

Andrew Fletcher 12-17-2005 11:49 AM

Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

Anyone see this article? Pretty interesting stuff. There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?

Kurn, son of Mogh 12-17-2005 12:12 PM

Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?

You're acting like this is some kind of revelation. Pretty basic knowledge, I think.

tolbiny 12-17-2005 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?

You're acting like this is some kind of revelation. Pretty basic knowledge, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention its not as if racists tend to respond well to facts and information.

Andrew Fletcher 12-17-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Not to mention its not as if racists tend to respond well to facts and information.

[/ QUOTE ]I guess I was sort of hopeful that some people who are racist would change their mind and see how much we all have in common. Oh well.

Beer and Pizza 12-17-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention its not as if racists tend to respond well to facts and information.

[/ QUOTE ]

The white racists have to deal with the fact that they are the mutants who are oppressing the non-mutants.

The black racists have to deal with the fact that their bodies are sub-optimal for certain conditions (cold weather?)

If mutations take hold because they are better suited in certain locations, then it suggests that there is some truth to the idea that different races may naturally excel at different things (athletics, etc.), so this just continues the whole debate.....

tolbiny 12-17-2005 01:31 PM

"so this just continues the whole debate....."

What findings like this really show is that the differnces between me and a white person that i am not related to are about the same % wise as the differences between me and a black person i am not related to. Its just that one of those differences is much more visually noticeable.

Andrew Fletcher 12-17-2005 01:58 PM

Right.

And this is something that has long been well-known among black people. But white people are totally in the dark and are now going to shocked by this scientifc finding that just confirms what a lot of people have known for a long time.

NobodysFreak 12-17-2005 04:26 PM

Are you being serious? It's pretty much common knowledge unless you grew up in po-dunk hicksville somewhere and lived in a cage. I don't think that this was a "black idea" that us "white folk" just stumbled upon.

JackWhite 12-17-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If mutations take hold because they are better suited in certain locations, then it suggests that there is some truth to the idea that different races may naturally excel at different things (athletics, etc.), so this just continues the whole debate.....

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are suggesting that the reason that virtually every top sprinter and basketball player in the world is black is not total coincidence?

You are correct. It would be nice if we could acknowledge that we are the same, yet different in some ways. Unfortunately, we cannot have a rational, serious discussion on any issue involving race in this country.

Several weeks ago Air Force football coach Fisher DeBerry suggested that his team needed more black players to compete athletically with some of their rivals, and an ESPN and LA Times commentator (Bill Plaschke) said that President Bush should fire him. That is the level of debate we are allowed to have. When somebody says something that is blatantly obvious to just about everyone, people want him fired.

Andrew Fletcher 12-17-2005 04:59 PM

Where did you grow up? I would have agreed with you about three years ago and then I went to college with a bunch of people from small towns. They had never met any Jews or black people before going to college. I think there is a wide gap between how people in different parts of the country understand the world.

NobodysFreak 12-17-2005 05:10 PM

I grew up in northern NJ. I realize that some places are arguing for intelligent design and creationism, but I don't even think that these people deny the fact that humans came out of africa. To say that all black people knew about this and all white people were in the dark about it is racist.

Andrew Fletcher 12-17-2005 05:29 PM

Fair enough. I didn't mean to overgeneralize like that. It's common knowledge among some people and totally unkown to others. The implication of that seems pretty interesting to me.

Two Plus Two has been good about forcing me to be more specific with my words.

NobodysFreak 12-17-2005 05:44 PM

Personally, I think its more sensationalist than anything else. Its not really that surprising to me that science has found the gene which makes white people white. Its almost like stating the obvious, but then again I study biochem so it might just be my environment.

partygirluk 12-17-2005 05:51 PM

The physical differences between caucasians and negroes are more than just color.

Andrew Fletcher 12-17-2005 05:55 PM

JackWhite,

This debate had entered the relam of the surreal. Blacks aren't better sprinters than whites. Whites are better, what was it you said, at being in cold weather than blacks. Race doesn't exsit. We're 99.9999999999% the same.

I can't believe you are saying what I think you're saying, so I hope you'll correct me.

-waxie

JackWhite 12-17-2005 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JackWhite,

This debate had entered the relam of the surreal. Blacks aren't better sprinters than whites. Whites are better, what was it you said, at being in cold weather than blacks. Race doesn't exsit. We're 99.9999999999% the same.

I can't believe you are saying what I think you're saying, so I hope you'll correct me.

-waxie

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You don't think there are any phsyical differences based on where you are from in the world? Why do people from East Africa dominate distance running? Why do people of West African decent dominate sprints? Have you ever watched ESPN's strongest man competition? If so, you would have noticed no Kenyans, but a lot of Germans, Poles, and Russians. Coincidence?

Have you ever seen people from Central Africa? They are leaner and taller than people from other parts of the world, while Eskimos are generally short and stocky. Both of these are a result of climate, as you certainly know.

If we are all the same, why aren't there Eskimos playing in the NBA? According to your theory, they would have the same chance as anybody, since we are all the same.

12-17-2005 06:44 PM

Someone mentioned the human race beginning in Africa (ID?). If the Garden of Eden was in the general vicinity of what is now Iraq, that puts the beginning of man/woman to the East of Africa. Technical point, true. Picky, yes.

DNA-related traits of people(s) in different parts of the world would tend to argue in favor of Evolution - it seems to me. Adaptation to environment?

I'm just asking. I'm not stating a case for or jumping in on either side.

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JackWhite,

-waxie

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You don't think there are any phsyical differences based on where you are from in the world? Why do people from East Africa dominate distance running? Why do people of West African decent dominate sprints? Have you ever watched ESPN's strongest man competition? If so, you would have noticed no Kenyans, but a lot of Germans, Poles, and Russians. Coincidence?

Have you ever seen people from Central Africa? They are leaner and taller than people from other parts of the world, while Eskimos are generally short and stocky. Both of these are a result of climate, as you certainly know.

If we are all the same, why aren't there Eskimos playing in the NBA? According to your theory, they would have the same chance as anybody, since we are all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are attributing things to "climate," you shouldn't attribute them to genes...

Sure, move a group of Inuits to East Africa, give them the same diet and have them live at the same altitude as the best distance runners and pretty soon you will have excellent inuit runners.

To say one group is "taller" is a big joke outside of sub-saharan Africa. A very big joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

NobodysFreak 12-17-2005 07:20 PM

Doesn't the netherlands have the tallest average height?

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 07:25 PM

Yup, they do. We did fifty years ago. We have been, proportionately, shrinking in the United States.

Increasing research suggests that height corresponds not simply to "diet" or "environment," but also to the nebulous concept of "social health."

Dutch people are not a "race," and they are significantly taller than most people.

NobodysFreak 12-17-2005 07:26 PM

Well, aside from the dutch, I think the average height for a male in europe is 6 feet. I think its only about 5 feet 9 inches here in the states.

JackWhite 12-17-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are attributing things to "climate," you shouldn't attribute them to genes...

Sure, move a group of Inuits to East Africa, give them the same diet and have them live at the same altitude as the best distance runners and pretty soon you will have excellent inuit runners.

To say one group is "taller" is a big joke outside of sub-saharan Africa. A very big joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have no idea what I am talking about. West Africans aren't better sprinters then others. East Africans aren't better distance runners. Northern Europeans don't have better upper body strength. It is all nonsense.

In all seriousness. Anybody who is denying physical differences between different groups of human beings is ignoring a lot of evidence. Ok, forget "race" and let's say "geography." You know what is meant.

And you really believe that if you took some inuits and put them in a different climate and trained them, that you could produce some great sprinters? Have you ever seen a picture of an inuit? Evolution has given them short stocky legs. All the training in the world is not going to produce a great sprinter.

I am really amazed that there are educated people who refuse to acknowledge these physical differences. A journalist wrote a book a few years ago called "Taboo" about this topic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586480...ce&n=283155

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 07:34 PM

Yeah, thats what I mean. We are shrinking. Fifty years ago we were the tallest in the world. Makes the "social health" theory kind of appealing.

Olof 12-17-2005 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, they do. We did fifty years ago. We have been, proportionately, shrinking in the United States.

Increasing research suggests that height corresponds not simply to "diet" or "environment," but also to the nebulous concept of "social health."

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't this be explained by demographical changes to at least some degree? Asian and Latin American immigrants are hardly increasing the average height.

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 08:00 PM

"Couldn't this be explained by demographical changes to at least some degree? Asian and Latin American immigrants are hardly increasing the average height. "

Nope. So called "white people," relative to "white people" elsewhere in the world are shrinking if they live in the United States.

Bez 12-17-2005 08:51 PM

What gene makes black people like crappy R 'n' B music?

12-17-2005 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What gene makes black people like crappy R 'n' B music?

[/ QUOTE ]

R 'n B = Rhythym and Blues?

IIRC, Rhythym and Blues was originated as "Black" music.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 09:26 PM

What gene is common to most speakers of English that makes them entirely unable to spell "rhythm?"

ACPlayer 12-17-2005 09:30 PM

Does this mean that a "pure" white couple can fertilize an egg have a black gene spliced in and produce a black skinned baby? And of course, said baby would have Missy Elliots dance moves, Michael Jordan's ability to drive to the hoop, and Miles Davis' ability to juxtapose notes. Virually no chance of being a brilliant mathematician but an excellent chance of dying by lethal injection .

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 09:32 PM

Exactly ACPlayer,

Thank you for fleshing out the exciting implications of this entirely stale biology story!

Don't tell our resident neo-eugenicists though, they might get ideas.

12-17-2005 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What gene is common to most speakers of English that makes them entirely unable to spell "rhythm?"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's little known. Usually referred to as "the-gene-that-occasionally-tempts-one-to-plant-
an-error-in-a-post-that-causes-pompous-asses-to-make-snotty-replies."
As you can see, it's quite effective.

<ul type="square"> http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a2...wgs/aetsch.gif[/list]

wmspringer 12-17-2005 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in northern NJ. I realize that some places are arguing for intelligent design and creationism, but I don't even think that these people deny the fact that humans came out of africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I dunno...wasn't the Garden of Eden supposed to be in Iraq?

NobodysFreak 12-18-2005 01:03 AM

I don't get where you're going with that. Iraq isn't in Europe either. Are you saying that Creationists would think that Africans have some sort of genetic defect that makes them black?

InchoateHand 12-18-2005 01:03 AM

Actually Nut4Dawgs, I think you have proved your idiocy in so many venues that no one should be charitable enough to consider it an intentional "mistake." Nope. You are just stupid.

12-18-2005 01:55 AM

Inchoatehand places his little yellow shovel beside his little red pail, rises from his seat in the sand box and goes to his little room. He walks over to his little computer desk and climbs up the three-step riser placed there especially for him. Wiping his snotty nose with the back of his shirt sleeve, he places his pudgy little fingers on the keyboard and types these memorable words…

[ QUOTE ]
Actually Nut4Dawgs, I think you have proved your idiocy in so many venues that no one should be charitable enough to consider it an intentional "mistake." Nope. You are just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you can go back to your little friends, Inch, and play some more. Behave yourself and mommy will probably get you a cookie.

Aytumious 12-18-2005 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this.

Matty 12-18-2005 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Welcome to, like, 60 friggin years ago.

Funny, the last time I posted on these forums I made a thread about race being strictly a social concept. Here I am again, and this is on top. Weird.

12-18-2005 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I second this.

[/ QUOTE ]

&lt; note to self: try to care what this person thinks &gt;

The once and future king 12-18-2005 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone see this article? Pretty interesting stuff. There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it explain why white men cant jump?

The4Aces 12-18-2005 08:08 AM

black people have faster mussle twitch fibers than white people.