Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   QJs in the CO - questions PF and on the Turn (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=109227)

btspider 08-03-2004 12:31 PM

QJs in the CO - questions PF and on the Turn

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

if I were MP3, I would just call. in CO, I raised to buy the button, should I just let him and the blinds come along?

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Should I cap? If I had KJ or KT there is room for another face card flush that I beat.. but not with QJ. I'm not sure how well the flop bet 'disguises' my flush in other players' eyes.

River: (12.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.50 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

easypete 08-03-2004 12:39 PM

Re: QJs in the CO - questions PF and on the Turn

Limp pf. QJs is a strong drawing hand... why scare people off? Not very strong heads-up.

other than that... good all around.

btspider 08-03-2004 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp pf. QJs is a strong drawing hand... why scare people off? Not very strong heads-up.

other than that... good all around.

[/ QUOTE ]

i posted this because it is in between several PF ideas for me.

I would limp in MP3 after 2 limpers.
I would limp in CO after 3 limpers.
I would raise in CO after 1 limper.

I really like to have the button with the big drawing hands, but the button may still fold anyway.. hmm..

nolanfan34 08-03-2004 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a raise here is intended to get anything heads up. The question is whether it's a +EV play to raise or limp in a multiway pot with this hand. I think it's close either way, and I'd probably raise on Party .50/1 here too.

I think the rest of the play is fine. You're probably drawing dead after that 3-bet on the turn more times than you're ahead of a smaller flush, so the call on the river is fine.

cold_cash 08-03-2004 01:05 PM

I think you played this one way too soft.

Raise pre-flop, yes.

Cap the turn, raise the river.

The other player doesn't know you have a flush, trust me. (And even if he did, he still has to beat it.)

If this is the one time in a hundred that he has a higher one, them's the breaks, but you're going to win this hand way, way, way more often than your opponent is.

easypete 08-03-2004 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like to have the button with the big drawing hands, but the button may still fold anyway.. hmm..

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this argument w/ a friend all the time. He defends his button and will try to buy the button w/ marginal hands to gain the advantage.

I think this is a good plan for NL (which is what he was playing, now switching to limit), but I don't think it's a good reason for limit.

I think in limit, you have to be more concerned w/ playing your hands for what they are worth. You have a suited connector with not a lot of top-card power. These are good in multiway pots, but not very good HU.

You need a big pot to play this, why not let the blinds in?

The reason you need a big pot, is because you need to get paid off for a hand that is going to hit a flop about 15%-20% (probably wrong here) of the time. You want 4 or 5 players in the pot (at least) to pay you off for taking this risk.

DMBFan23 08-03-2004 01:10 PM

crap, I've been raising this PF in all those situations...

I also would have called the turn instead of capping.

DMBFan23 08-03-2004 01:13 PM

I think this would own a lot of hands HU, I'd love to have it.

Sarge85 08-03-2004 01:14 PM

Raise-and re-raise on all streets.

PF Raise was good as well.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

nepenthe 08-03-2004 01:15 PM

You should cap the turn. If he still bets into you on the river, I can then decide whether to call or raise 1 more. I'd lean towards raising once unless I had a read suggesting otherwise.