Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hand with Chief (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281350)

QTip 06-27-2005 09:05 AM

Hand with Chief

I don't know if he'll show up today, but I played this hand with him this weekend in NY.

We were both just having some fun (high VPIPs - his was probably at least double mine though....I can't quite get myself to play 92o yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) However, we were trying to use our brains postflop, though.

I think I have the details right here...

Chief is UTG and limps, a loose player limps, a laggy player limps, another loose player limps, I limp in the co with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], the sb completes and the bb checks.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

It's checked to me, and I bet, folded to Chief and he raises, folded to me, and I 3 bet. Chief calls.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Chief bets, I raise, he 3 bets, I call.

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Chief bets, I raise

Any thoughts on my play?

thejameser 06-27-2005 09:12 AM

Re: Hand with Chief

89,78,6x lower mid pocket pair?

except for not folding PF you did well.

Grease 06-27-2005 09:55 AM

You bet/raised at every opportunity with what should be the best hand. Seems good to me, unless chief 3-bets the river. Even if he does, I think you still played it well. NH.

QTip 06-27-2005 09:58 AM

2 things:

1. I'm thinking maybe the better line is to cap the turn and just call the river if he bets into me, but bet if checked to and call a raise.

2. I'm not sure how much value the river raise has. Would a good player muck something like J8 to the river raise?

sekrah 06-27-2005 10:01 AM

I would have called instead of raising on the river.. After the previous action, he's not betting out if he can't beat trip 8's.

I think you're 95% dead... Here's my breakdown of percentage of what he has.. 6-6 40%, 3-3 40%, 8-10 10%, 6-8 5%.

Grease 06-27-2005 10:02 AM

I didn't realize you didn't 3 bet the turn. Yeah, in that case, cap it and call a bet on the river. He probably won't pay off with a worse 8 unless it's K8, and you could be staring a full in the face, which means you'd be getting 3-bet here. Either way it sucks for you.

Are you playing live or online (only reason I ask is if there's a cap HU, because getting 5-bet on the turn would blow).

QTip 06-27-2005 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing live or online (only reason I ask is if there's a cap HU, because getting 5-bet on the turn would blow).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is live. I don't play much live, but I was thinking that the "no cap" thing was just on the river...but, it's not, is it.

If that's the case, It would seem that I just need to call down his turn 3 bet....I just think that's really, really weak given his flop play.

chief444 06-27-2005 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, in that case, cap it and call a bet on the river. He probably won't pay off with a worse 8 unless it's K8, and you could be staring a full in the face, which means you'd be getting 3-bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was my thought. I told him after the hand that I fold anything worse than exactly K8 and even that I thought was close. I considered it a crying call with A8 as was because I didn't think he should have raised the river.

I believe there was one other opponent who hung around until my turn 3-bet though so he could have capped the turn. Since I may 3-bet the turn with 8x then that's a better option IMO because I'm not leading the river with 8x and he doesn't have to worry about a reraise on the turn. But I had a few drinks by then and I could be wrong about the third opponent.

I think if you look at the combinations it probably doesn't look too bad because he's good pretty often after the turn 3-bet. But as you point out, I'm not paying off with much he beats.

thejameser 06-27-2005 11:06 AM

so no battle of A2o vs. A8o or anything goofy like that, huh? did you both have A8? is that what i heard in your "crying call comment"?

QTip 06-27-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so no battle of A2o vs. A8o or anything goofy like that, huh? did you both have A8? is that what i heard in your "crying call comment"?

[/ QUOTE ]

chopped it.