Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Can opponents see your cards? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370380)

MRBAA 11-02-2005 12:46 PM

Can opponents see your cards?

Barry Greenstein mentions this as a possibility if you don't have an adequate firewall. Is it really possible for an opponent to get into your computer and see your hands? Has anyone heard of this happening?

dlk9s 11-02-2005 12:52 PM

Re: Can opponents see your cards?

No.

daveymck 11-02-2005 01:01 PM

Some of the cheat at poker sites mention installing a trojan or somthing on the other persons pc so you can see their cards.

How easy or hard etc it is I have no idea, but if you are on the internet you want your pc covered whether playing poker or not imho.

mattw 11-02-2005 01:11 PM

is it possible, yes. is it probable, no. you should have atleast windows firewall running. a comprimised computer can reveal everything.

Joshssj4 11-02-2005 01:13 PM

It's actually extremely possible.
There was once a trojan going around the internet that when you had it installed on someone elses computer you could view their computer screen in real-time, stuff like this still exists.

crunchy1 11-02-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was once a trojan going around the internet that when you had it installed on someone elses computer you could view their computer screen in real-time, stuff like this still exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
True - but viewing a specific opponent's cards would imply that you would also need to break into the poker site's system to retrieve the internet addresses of the other players at your table and then somehow get the trojan installed on those user's computers so you could view there screen.

I'm not losing sleep over these "longshot" possibilities.

jman220 11-02-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True - but viewing a specific opponent's cards would imply that you would also need to break into the poker site's system to retrieve the internet addresses of the other players at your table and then somehow get the trojan installed on those user's computers so you could view there screen.

I'm not losing sleep over these "longshot" possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you could design a trojan that after infecting a user's computer is designed to notify you when that player is playing online poker at a specific site, say, by sending you information via an IRC channel. You wouldn't need to target specific people, you could just move to the tables of those who were infected after you recieve the information. Now where have I heard of something like that before...

11-02-2005 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, you could design a trojan that after infecting a user's computer is designed to notify you when that player is playing online poker at a specific site, say, by sending you information via an IRC channel.

[/ QUOTE ]
You would still have to identify the recipient as a player, and get it to the computer. Blunt force (trying to send it to everyone who opens an e-mail or a web page) would certainly get noticed fast. I could see someone's "friend" doing this, but that's about it.

The "trojan" in the other thread has been questioned by posters with a background in security. (And others with a background in poker.)

phish 11-02-2005 03:00 PM

So why does this one guy keep following me around from table to table? Either I suck or he can see my cards.

BruinEric 11-02-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why does this one guy keep following me around from table to table? Either I suck or he can see my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of an opponent being able to see your cards are astronomically high against.

He probably believes you play poorly and/or he "knows how best to play you."

If you are playing on the Party network, you can remove yourself from being found in a player search. Some other online cardrooms support this as well.