Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Superman vs. Jesus (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355298)

jason1990 10-11-2005 12:57 PM

Superman vs. Jesus

The story of Superman, as told in the Christopher Reeve film, bears some isolated but rather curious similarities to the story of Jesus.

Jesus:
God sends him to Earth. He is raised as a human by his Earth family, but he is obviously different from the other children, as evidenced by his teaching in the temple. At some point, he leaves his Earth family to wander the desert. He presumably does a lot of praying and talking to God. Then, at about age 30, he returns to begin his life of teaching and healing people. He is called a blasphemer and killed.

Superman:
Jor-El sends him to Earth*. He is raised as a human by his Earth family, but he is obviously different from the other children, as evidenced by his powers. At some point, he leaves his Earth family to wander the northern icelands. He builds his fortress of solitude and studies under the ghost of his father. Then, at about age 30, he returns to begin his life of inspiring and saving people. He is called a hero and not killed. (Okay, so it ends differently.)

* Marlon Brando as the ghost of Jor-El with an echoing "God-like" voice says, "it is because of their [humans] capacity for good that I have sent them you, my only son.

10-11-2005 01:17 PM

Re: Superman vs. Jesus

[ QUOTE ]
He is called a hero and not killed. (Okay, so it ends differently.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's difficult to sell (movies or books) if the main characer is dead.
(hmmmm???)

eOXevious 10-11-2005 01:50 PM

Good points

10-11-2005 02:22 PM

When I saw the thread title, I was going to take Superman in the first round.

Unabridged 10-11-2005 03:18 PM

superman is killed and then reborn

shakingspear 10-11-2005 03:53 PM

My favorite bible passages are the ones where Jesus uses his heat vision and freeze breath.

KeysrSoze 10-11-2005 06:46 PM

Superman vs. Jesus? Well I'd have to ask are we talking about Golden-Age Superman or Post-Crisis Superman.

Ah, the topic is not what I thought it was about [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Bigdaddydvo 10-11-2005 07:12 PM

Literature, movies, and art are replete with figures who by design emulate Christ in one way or another (typically for love, wisdom, or redemption). Two that come to mind are Simon from Golding's Lord of the Flies, and the Lion from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

Actually had some good conversations about Christ-like literary figures in high school English/Literature classes. Wonder if the ACLU would argue that such conversations were unconstitutional....but I digress.

chezlaw 10-11-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Literature, movies, and art are replete with figures who by design emulate Christ in one way or another (typically for love, wisdom, or redemption). Two that come to mind are Simon from Golding's Lord of the Flies, and the Lion from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

Actually had some good conversations about Christ-like literary figures in high school English/Literature classes. Wonder if the ACLU would argue that such conversations were unconstitutional....but I digress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Brian.

chez

Darryl_P 10-11-2005 07:22 PM

It just hit me that 2+2 is probably the forum whose readership has the highest percentage of people that know that Kal-el is Superman's real name among all forums on the internet, except maybe those that deal specifically with Superman. Spooky thought.