Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Open Raise from MP (Poll) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=380403)

krishanleong 11-17-2005 04:09 PM

Open Raise from MP (Poll)

What hands do you open raise from MP?

Wynton 11-17-2005 04:16 PM

Re: Open Raise from MP (Poll)

Thanks for creating this. I found the decisions here much more difficult for some reason.

einbert 11-17-2005 04:18 PM

Most of these I will or will not raise depending on table conditions.

DMBFan23 11-17-2005 04:23 PM

time to have my inconsistencies pointed out...
T9s - raise a fair amount.
JTs - raise
98s - fold
A8o-A6o - fold
KTo - raise
K9o - fold
QJo - raise
A8s - raise
A7s - raise
A6s - fold
66 - raise
55 - raise some, but usually fold
77 - raise
44 - fold
K9s - raise
Q9s - raise some, fold a lot. basically I'm not sure.
J9s - raise
JTo - fold but perhaps I should start raising.

B Dids 11-17-2005 04:25 PM

Am I a grumpy dick if I point out again that I think these polls are wrong headed and probably encourage bad ABC play when the most important think about 6 max is the players at the table?

krishanleong 11-17-2005 04:27 PM

I need to start raising t9s and K9s. Thanks Wynton for the suggestion of posting this. I'll post a CO and Button one in a few days after we get bored of these two polls.

Krishan

jason_t 11-17-2005 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I a grumpy dick if I point out again that I think these polls are wrong headed and probably encourage bad ABC play when the most important think about 6 max is the players at the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

DMBFan23 11-17-2005 04:29 PM

no, but if you sit down at 100 tables with 1000 unknowns against whom you have zero hands, you need a good 'basic strategy'. mason talks about this in poker essays, and admits that 'basic strategy' is a misnomer, but don't you think having default plays helps?

I wholeheartedly agree that reads can sway things in many different directions obviously

TStoneMBD 11-17-2005 04:29 PM

i think T9s is a great hand from MP and youre missing alot of equity by folding it. J9s should also be raised imo. it seems that Q9s would be ranked lower than J9s but im not sure why that would be true. a queen kicker or a pair of queens is stronger than a pair of jacks. i really dont think straight value matters much between a 1 gapper and a 2 gapper. high card strength is more important. however, it is true that more queens that outkick you will enter a raised pot then jacks that outkick you which is a good reason why J9s might be better than Q9s, but i still think the high card strength is stronger.

i think its reasonable that alot of players want to fold 55 preflop and i wouldnt encourage them to play it if they dont feel comfortable doing so. i think the value of 55 in this situation depends greatly on your ability to save bets postflop when against better hands. youre often in a reverse implied odds situation with these small pairs because against alot of players they checkfolds when they miss but when they flop a pair they check call and you are forced to invest another bet on the turn. a good player should easily be able to show profit with 55 in these situations however, especially in games where the players behind him arent likely to 3bet him liberally.

i really dont think you can show profit raising A8o from MP in most situations. i remember baronzeus posted a hand in which he raised A8o from MP and alot of people said it was a bad move including me. i think there are times when A8o from MP has alot of value and it does seem a little odd that A9o is an easy raise and A8o is an easy fold. when i pick up A9o from MP i often feel that it has alot of value and makes for a very profitable raise. if thats the case then how can A8o be an easy fold and an unprofitable raise? i think there are times when A8o will show profit and i need to figure out those times.

T9s- raise
98s- i usually raise this unless i have a good reason not to
A8o- fold
KTo- raise
K9o- fold
QJo- raise
A7s- raise
A6s- i raise this alot of the time depending
55- raise
44- i sometimes raise this but i would recommend most people fold it
K9s- raise
Q9s- raise
J9s- raise
JTo- fold

krishanleong 11-17-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything depends. But it's nice to know defaults so you can shade your depends correctly based on the table.

Krishan