Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The relationship between MTT and STT play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405436)

Dan Mezick 12-26-2005 04:44 PM

The relationship between MTT and STT play

I suspect playing STTs may serve many of the practice needs and other mastery goals of the primarily MTT player. MTT and STT play does not appear related but I suspect it is. I suspect many accomplished MTT players routinely use STTs for practice, experimentation and tune-up tasks.

I'm interested in hearing from serious MTT players about this. Of particular interest would be any of the more renowned and well-known posters in this forum.

JeanieJ 12-26-2005 06:16 PM

Re: The relationship between MTT and STT play

I often like to use STT's for warm ups. More often than not I'll play the 2 table STT's but they help my brain prepare for playing MTT's.

They do have lots of similarities but there are many differences as well. Learning to play a good STT game can help your MTT game, but if that's all you have you're screwed.

I hope you get a better answer than mine, but I figured I'd help with a bump.

-Jeanie
xo*Kisses*xo @ Stars

BPA234 12-28-2005 09:28 AM

I am just an average player. But, IMO, for the end game of a MTT, there is no better training ground than STT.

12-28-2005 10:13 AM

First of all, I am not among the well-known posters in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

Anyway, since becoming quite successful in STTs that it is now my game of choice and use my modest profits from it to fund my MTTs. I found that some of my STT strategies are quite effective in MTTs to the point that if and when I reach the last 3 tables in an MTT, I am confident that I will make it to the final table. So far, I am not disappointed yet.

Degen 12-28-2005 10:45 AM

many many top SNG players have taken to destroying MTT's-obvious simlarities...though i think switching from MTT to SNG would be a lot more difficult as tricky play is not nearly as important or useful-some pro's lag up the sng's but they are definately in the minority of big winners-i'd estimate that standard tag's are in the minority of big MTT winners...

11t 12-28-2005 11:18 AM

I agree, however I would say that TAG MTT play will be more successful than LAG STT play.

That is to say that TAG is good STT and moderately decent MTT play whereas LAG is good MTT but very rarely decent STT play.

If that makes sense.

STT play comes into play mainly at final tables.

12-28-2005 11:44 AM

I play mostly MTTs and thus tend not to do very well in STTs. Not sure why that is. I know that TAG in an MTT has worked fairly well for me, though I would say I am more a Loose TAG, and take a few chances that others may not. I also dont think that STTs have improved my FT play either. I havent made too many FTs on Stars, however on another site, I FT 4 tourneys in a row. I give part of that credit to playing on Stars actually. The better competition translates well to softer sites.

Sam T. 12-28-2005 03:07 PM

Since most payouts are so steep, and final tables are so rare, you gotta win when you get there. The best practice for destroying FTs is the endgame of STTs when aggression is more important than cards.

Vuron00 12-28-2005 04:06 PM

For bubble play and FT play, STT are the perfect practice.

12-28-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For bubble play and FT play, STT are the perfect practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get dead-on reads of weak bubble players and FT LAGs that are identical to MTTs. Also, it is a confidence booster to win a few SnGs while in a MTT drought.