Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rose Bowl Champs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364352)

TomCollins 10-24-2005 01:31 PM

Rose Bowl Champs

I can take Texas +300, and VT +1150.

I think either these teams can beat USC 40% of the time. With Georgia losing their QB, Alabama with some tough games ahead and missing a key player, I don't think an SEC team will pull in front of both of these teams.

Texas will not lose, although its possible VT passes them with some wins over Miami and Florida State. If USC stumbles against Cal or UCLA, I could have a guaranteed winner as well.

Too good to pass up?

bugstud 10-24-2005 01:43 PM

Re: Rose Bowl Champs

it is ncaa, so a lock is the wrong word here, but I like your chances.

whipsaw 10-24-2005 01:44 PM

Combined you're getting about +138 for the two teams, which means you need to win over 42% of the time to be profitable. I personally don't think VaTech even hangs close to USC if they get there, and Texas hasn't seen offensive talent even close to SC's all year. I don't think either one has a 40% to win. I agree that Texas will win out, so maybe the better play is just UT at +300?

TomCollins 10-24-2005 07:09 PM

You did see USC struggle with Arizona, right? Not Arizona State, Arizona. A team that struggled with a mediocre Notre Dame. A team that struggled with Oregon. And a team that barely beat ASU.

I think way too many people are putting their money thinking USC is invincible. They are good, but I'd take 6-5 with any (healthy) top 5 team against them.

The question seems to be, is there any chance neither Texas or VT makes the game?

Page Jacobson 10-24-2005 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question seems to be, is there any chance neither Texas or VT makes the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet a lot of money that Texas plays in the Rose Bowl. Weather they win the game after they get there is a different question.

scott8 10-24-2005 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You did see USC struggle with Arizona, right? Not Arizona State, Arizona. A team that struggled with a mediocre Notre Dame. A team that struggled with Oregon. And a team that barely beat ASU.

I think way too many people are putting their money thinking USC is invincible. They are good, but I'd take 6-5 with any (healthy) top 5 team against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm, the way the schedule lays out, UCLA very likely will be a top 5 team when they play USC.

I will take this bet for whatever you want.

Regards,

SC.

TomCollins 10-24-2005 11:49 PM

I should have clarified scott. I meant any team that is one of the 5 best, not in the top 5 in the rankings. I do not consider UCLA to be a top 10 team. This is the same as when Texas beat Texas Tech. Tech was in the top 10, but clearly not one of the best 10 teams in the country.

scott8 10-25-2005 01:55 PM

All in good fun. Just saw a chance for a west coast guy to stick it to a Texan [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

-(U)SC

tolga 10-25-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the same USC that was supposed to have a battle against OU last year.

Champions play like champions, this is what it comes down to. They've stumbled a bit this year, but I think part of that is that every team comes out super psyched to take on the champs, and the champs are a little slow out of the gate because they are so used to rolling.

SC is fallible, but they are about as close to invincible as a college football team will ever be.

SC-UT will be a blast to watch, this much is for sure.

fnurt 10-25-2005 07:45 PM

If UCLA wins out, what are the chances they play in the Rose Bowl themselves? This might dampen the chances of your "guaranteed winner" scenario.