Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ($33) AQ TPTK out of position against another biggish stack (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394517)

ilya 12-08-2005 10:29 PM

($33) AQ TPTK out of position against another biggish stack

If the stacks had been shallower, I would have had no problem 3-betting the flop or betting the turn, but I didn't want to bloat the pot OOP against another guy with plenty of chips. Then that ugly river card came...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t730)
Button (t775)
SB (t1200)
BB (t745)
UTG (t985)
Hero (t1265)
MP1 (t1600)
MP2 (t700)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, MP1 calls t30, 3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets t70</font>, MP1 raises to t140</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t70.

Turn: (t400) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: (t400) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets t200</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t600

Scuba Chuck 12-08-2005 10:40 PM

Re: ($33) AQ TPTK out of position against another biggish stack

I hate the mini-raise situations. The thing that makes this difficult to me is his turn check. I certainly don't think 2 pair is checking throuh on the turn, and I don't think that a $33er is smart enough to do so with a set. I have plenty of experience on calling down to the river here. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I think you're up against AQ/KQ.

The only hand that usually surprises me here is the guy who limps AA/KK after another limper. Again, I'd be suprised by this because he checked the turn.

My final thought is that if you're up against a known thinking player, I can understand a fold. Furthermore, I hate playing AQ, especially the way you did. I think I find myself in more trouble than its worth.

wuwei 12-08-2005 11:18 PM

Meh. I really want to call there, but the reasonable range of hands you can beat or split with was just reduced to AQ or KQ. Fold works for me.

durron597 12-09-2005 12:02 AM

Is he the sort of player who would limp Q8? Otherwise you are only behind to a set on the flop. Do you think he's the sort of player who would fastplay a set? I think you can make it 400 on the flop and fold to a push with a clear conscience.

On the river, I think you are good 1 in 3 times, What hands is he miniraising you with on the flop that contain a ten? Against a strong opponent I can see folding the river, but an average donk could be betting KQ here for value, or even a hand like 77 or ace high if he thinks he can get you to fold a better hand on a scary board.

200 is about the max I call.

wuwei 12-09-2005 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What hands is he miniraising you with on the flop that contain a ten?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that you no longer beat QJ and QT on the river, which some donks would min raise flop/check turn with.

You still might be right about 1 in 3, though.

alphatmw 12-09-2005 12:28 AM

i would reraise the flop or bet the turn hard. the flop is perfect for a set, no flush or draw worries so i doubt one would raise there; 2 pair is the only thing you should be worried about, and a weaker queen is much more likely.