Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Random discount => tip situation? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344601)

captZEEbo1 09-26-2005 10:35 AM

Random discount => tip situation?

Sorry about ANOTHER tipping thread, but oh well.

My 2 friends and I go into steak n shake at 4:30am (no managers are working now), we're the only ones there. We order three shakes and the price would normally be around $9.50. The waitress "accidentally" rings it up as 3 junior shakes for a final price of $4.50. How much money do you leave? I gave her $10 total for a $5.50 tip.

pokerdirty 09-26-2005 10:37 AM

Re: Random discount => tip situation?

sounds about right to me

swede123 09-26-2005 10:37 AM

Isn't Steak n' Shake a fast food place, that you can usually find in malls? Personally I would have told her she rung it up wrong, paid the correct amount and not tipped a penny.

Swede

captZEEbo1 09-26-2005 10:40 AM

It's standard to tip at steak n shake. I don't see them around malls in the midwest (USA). They have a drive-through and a dine-in, for dine-in it's pretty much like a normal restaurant.

Shajen 09-26-2005 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Steak n' Shake a fast food place, that you can usually find in malls? Personally I would have told her she rung it up wrong, paid the correct amount and not tipped a penny.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no you wouldn't have.

Or would you have? I don't know.

RunDownHouse 09-26-2005 10:48 AM

Its a fast food place, but they have table service.

swede123 09-26-2005 10:52 AM

Do they refill your drink for you? I usually don't leave a normal tip at places where you order your food at the counter, then sit down and wait for it to be delivered. To me the wait staff at places like this aren't doing anything close to what a waitress at a real sit-down restaurant is doing, so I usually leave a buck per person when it's time to leave.

Swede

RunDownHouse 09-26-2005 10:57 AM

By table service I meant full table service, yes.

SmileyEH 09-26-2005 11:04 AM

I don't understand how employees stealing from their company should be commended. I used to give my friends extra food, but I wouldn't want to receive a big tip-id just feel guilty.

-SmileyEH

jba 09-26-2005 11:07 AM

in this situation I would also have paid $10. basically when something like this happens I will usually pay at least what my check would have been, and look at it as I just saved the tip. unless it is outrageous, then I usually split the winnings with the server. for example if you'd order $20 worth of shakes and she rang you up for $5 I would have left 12-13.