Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How are people this retarted? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402451)

ilya 12-21-2005 01:03 AM

Re: How are people this retarted?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing for 1st or to just survive?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a rhetorical question as you may suppose, but rather an extremely misguided one. You should never "play for first." You should play to maximize your $$ expectation.

bones 12-21-2005 01:08 AM

There's a reason poker will always be profitable, no matter how much information is made available. You cannot teach discipline (in this sense) and you cannot teach application. OP and the caller both made huge mistakes and both think the other is a retard (pretty safe assumption for caller, I'd think). In all likelihood, both will make the same mistake many times over. Long live poker, master of denial and self-deceit.

12-21-2005 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a rhetorical question as you may suppose, but rather an extremely misguided one. You should never "play for first." You should play to maximize your $$ expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. We need a bot to say this for us, and we need to convince the MTT forum of this.

ilya 12-21-2005 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. We need a bot to say this for us, and we need to convince the MTT forum of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think in multis you should play for first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

p.s. but it's really just cos of the hidden extra $EV of winning a big chunk of $$ all at once, or in the case of a TV tournament, of reaping the financial benefits of fame.

Melchiades 12-21-2005 01:16 AM

Yeah. I've been banging my head against the wall in the MTT forum sometimes over this quite a few times.

curtains 12-21-2005 01:18 AM

btw I suspect that even in a $5 it is gonig to be +EV to push there on the button. I could be wrong, but even they can see that they awnt to finish top 3. However AQ is just way too pretty to expect them to fold. But just because they call with AQ+AJ, doesnt mean the play isnt +EV.

bluefeet 12-21-2005 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In all likelihood, both will make the same mistake many times over. Long live poker, master of denial and self-deceit.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if anyone gets REALLY bored tonight, you can read this hitting on this point.

12-21-2005 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think in multis you should play for first [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

p.s. but it's really just cos of the hidden extra $EV of winning a big chunk of $$ all at once, or in the case of a TV tournament, of reaping the financial benefits of fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I just went through a bad relationship.

Melchiades 12-21-2005 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

btw I suspect that even in a $5 it is gonig to be +EV to push there on the button. I could be wrong, but even they can see that they awnt to finish top 3. However AQ is just way too pretty to expect them to fold. But just because they call with AQ+AJ, doesnt mean the play isnt +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
If both SB and BB call with 88+,ATs+,AJo+, it's still +0.7% to push with 34o.

ilya 12-21-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I just went through a bad relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at least it's over.