Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Continuation bet when an A flops against 2 or 3 opponents, EV+?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=380595)

11-17-2005 09:18 PM

Continuation bet when an A flops against 2 or 3 opponents, EV+??

I play 6 handed, 50 NL.

Raise 4x BB and get two callers, lets say they cold called, other times lets say they limped then called.

You have QJ and u get a flop like

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Is continuation bet worth it here when a lot of opponents could be calling your raise with an A in hand?

11-17-2005 09:35 PM

Re: Continuation bet when an A flops against 2 or 3 opponents, EV+??

Depends on position, if it's checked to me, I will represent the ace. If called, I shut down.

xorbie 11-17-2005 09:47 PM

You're example sucks because you have a double gutter to the nuts both ways on a no flush draw board, so that's a pot bet anyway. But yeah, this type of board has a lot of FE and I almost always c-bet.

soah 11-17-2005 09:53 PM

It depends on what your opponents are calling with preflop. If they are coming in with cards hoping to bust your top pair, then this is an easy and obvious bluff. If they are coming in with cards hoping to flop top pair, (and you don't have a hugely deceptive nut draw...) then I usually just give it up.

11-17-2005 10:24 PM

3/4 bet this every day and twice on sundays.

11-18-2005 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're example sucks because you have a double gutter to the nuts both ways on a no flush draw board, so that's a pot bet anyway. But yeah, this type of board has a lot of FE and I almost always c-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok pardon my example. What is c-bet? check then bet turn?

orentha 11-18-2005 01:35 AM

c-bet = continuation bet

11-18-2005 01:45 AM

what position are you and what are your reads on other players?

11-18-2005 01:47 AM

first of all, im not even going to get involved in this hand OOP for a raise. Second of all if there lags im not cont. betting unless it was HU and just the opposite for tight players, i would cont bet becuase i would take it down in most cases.

derick 11-18-2005 04:01 PM

The basics of Continuation bets.

[ QUOTE ]
I play 6 handed, 50 NL.

Raise 4x BB and get two callers, lets say they cold called, other times lets say they limped then called.

You have QJ and u get a flop like

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Is continuation bet worth it here when a lot of opponents could be calling your raise with an A in hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally I get to contribute something rather than leaching off you guys' brains!

I think you're asking if you should be worried that people play a lot of hands like AXo.

But in the example you showed this is not a continuation bet hand.

You need to semi bluff your double belly buster. Raise about 3/4 to 5/4 of the pot.

I suspect that the OP needs to keep posting and asking questions and working on his hand reading skills.

Things to keep in mind when you are considering a continuation bet.

1. Position
2. Less than 3 opponents , preferably HU.
3. Is the opponent loose? How often do they fold on the flop?
4. Do I have something that I want to show down rather than risk getting bluffed off if he reraises?
5. Texture of the flop.
6. Position
7. Position

Find another example where you made a continuation bet and post it with an analysis of the above 7 things.

Keep posting and asking questions ... I posted a lot of stupid questions to the forum and people helped me a great deal.