Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Knicks get Eddy Curry (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349880)

IndieMatty 10-03-2005 09:55 PM

Knicks get Eddy Curry

No report on the players involved. Most likely IMO, Sweets, Tim Thomas, picks, maybe David Lee, perhaps Bill Bradleys Jersey and the rights to the soul of Alan Houston.

Phoenix1010 10-03-2005 10:22 PM

Re: Knicks get Eddy Curry

[ QUOTE ]
No report on the players involved. Most likely IMO, Sweets, Tim Thomas, picks, maybe David Lee, perhaps Bill Bradleys Jersey and the rights to the soul of Alan Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Paxon made the right decision. This is a huge gamble for the Knicks. If he turns out to have a bum ticker, we basically got screwed out whatever we gave up for him. The Bulls practiced patience and the Knicks blindly charged ahead. Typical Isiah. Anyway, it looks like my Knicks/Bulls regular season record bet just got a lot better for me.

It also says that the Bulls offered Curry $400,000 a year for 50 years if he failed the DNA test. He turns down 20 mil guaranteed?

Joe_d72 10-03-2005 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not Sweets that would suck

IndieMatty 10-03-2005 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not Sweets that would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetney is my favorite player. But he's def gone. Looks like TT, Sweets, Jermaine Jackson (for sal cap reasons), and the Spurs 1st for Curry and Antonio Davis.

mblax10 10-03-2005 10:45 PM

As a Bulls fan who dosen't really follow the rest of the league, what can I expect from Thomas and Sweetney? I remember both players from college but haven't paid attention to them since.

In Eddy Curry, you Knicks fans can expect an over-rated one-dimensional scorer. His defense is very poor, he never boxes out, and rarely puts forth much effort. He can score in bunches when he feels like it. Basically has 1 move inside, but his first step is so quick that it's effective. Heart problems or not, I'm glad to see him move on.

TomHimself 10-03-2005 10:56 PM

i didnt read the other thread where the bulls offered a DNA test or something. but why would curry refuse a test when they will give him so much money. was there some sort of twist?

god i hate isiah thomas. he sucks

JayLear 10-03-2005 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Bulls fan who dosen't really follow the rest of the league, what can I expect from Thomas and Sweetney? I remember both players from college but haven't paid attention to them since.

In Eddy Curry, you Knicks fans can expect an over-rated one-dimensional scorer. His defense is very poor, he never boxes out, and rarely puts forth much effort. He can score in bunches when he feels like it. Basically has 1 move inside, but his first step is so quick that it's effective. Heart problems or not, I'm glad to see him move on.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he was healthy, they should have kept him. But there was no doubt they needed to move him. He really seemed to come into his own last year.

I just hope everybody is considering the questions about this kid's health. There are still a lot of questions.

JayLear 10-03-2005 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt read the other thread where the bulls offered a DNA test or something. but why would curry refuse a test when they will give him so much money. was there some sort of twist?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was either a civil rights stand, or he was afraid of the results. Your guess is as good as mine. He stands to make much more than $20 million though over the life of an NBA deal.

brettbrettr 10-03-2005 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
god i hate isiah thomas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sources say the Bulls will get Michael Sweetney, Tim Thomas and Jermaine Jackson, whom the Knicks re-signed Monday. Curry could make up to $10 million in his first year—nearly double the amount of the Bulls' qualifying offer.

New York also will include a first-round draft pick and two second round picks as well. The deal still was being finalized late Monday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the Chicago Tribune website.

Most importantly, this allows me to slide Chandler over to center in my fantasy basketball league.

brettbrettr 10-04-2005 01:06 AM

Isaih is absolutely [censored] horrible.

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetney *and* a #1. That's as good as I could've hoped for as a Bulls fan.

brettbrettr 10-04-2005 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*And* *TWO* *2's*?!?!?! (Oh, and Tim Thomas)

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*And* *TWO* *2's*?!?!?! (Oh, and Tim Thomas)

[/ QUOTE ]

The #2's don't have much value, but yes, I'd rather have them than not. Thomas is a necessary evil due to the cap. How long is left on his absurd contract?

brettbrettr 10-04-2005 01:16 AM

There have been some decent players come out in the second round, I think. I don't know [censored] about bball these days. I'm a Knick fan, sort of stopped watching post-Patrick during the Layden era. If we had different owners, I'd watch. But the Dolans:

1. Hire morons to run the team
2. Didn't release Allan Houston when the Allan [censored] Houston Rule passed
3. (The biggest reason) Blocked the Jets Manhattan Stadium.

I [censored] hate them. I dont' even think L Brown could make me want to watch. Fairweather, sure. But I [censored] hate them.

Voltron87 10-04-2005 01:32 AM

the west side stadium was a pretty crappy idea for a variety of reasons.

brettbrettr 10-04-2005 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of which included the Jets playing on the West Side. That was a brilliant idea.

Voltron87 10-04-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of which included the Jets playing on the West Side. That was a brilliant idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 10-04-2005 02:02 AM

God I love the fact that Isiah has a job running a NBA team. Without that, NBA offseason would be so boring. This man is just so stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go_Blue88 10-04-2005 02:18 AM

You gotta be kidding me. [censored] [censored], that's terrible news. God, I bet he'll play out of his mind this season; he has a lot of doubters to prove wrong. Man, he was key to getting us to the playoffs; didn't they see how the Wizzard's tore us apart without him? Tyson Chandler sucks.

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta be kidding me. [censored] [censored], that's terrible news. God, I bet he'll play out of his mind this season; he has a lot of doubters to prove wrong. Man, he was key to getting us to the playoffs; didn't they see how the Wizzard's tore us apart without him? Tyson Chandler sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless what you think of Curry, this is a great deal for the Bulls. Thomas was apparently bidding against himself since no one else was interested. This is a coup for the Bulls, who had no choice but to move him at this point.

Look, he was a serious question mark as far as giving him the max deal he wanted BEFORE the heart problems. His defense, work ethic and attitude made that contract a huge risk. Yes, he's a potentially dominant low post scorer, but overpaying for potential is a disaster in the NBA (witness new Bull Tim Thomas' contract). This is as good as could have been hoped for.

And Chandler is going to be Ben Wallace Jr. Wash out your mouth.

hoyaboy1 10-04-2005 02:26 AM

If you can keep Sweetney in shape and you actually let him play 30+, he should be a lock for 15 and 10 - and he's a good compliment to Chandler.

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can keep Sweetney in shape and you actually let him play 30+, he should be a lock for 15 and 10 - and he's a good compliment to Chandler.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm excited about getting Sweetney.

Go_Blue88 10-04-2005 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless what you think of Curry, this is a great deal for the Bulls. Thomas was apparently bidding against himself since no one else was interested. This is a coup for the Bulls, who had no choice but to move him at this point.

Look, he was a serious question mark as far as giving him the max deal he wanted BEFORE the heart problems. His defense, work ethic and attitude made that contract a huge risk. Yes, he's a potentially dominant low post scorer, but overpaying for potential is a disaster in the NBA (witness new Bull Tim Thomas' contract). This is as good as could have been hoped for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the contract certainly has some risk, but the guy is very talented. Having him in the post, with Heinrich and Gordon at point is a high-powered combination. And, Noccioni (sp) is Ben Wallace Jr., except he scores more. That guy is an animal. I sort of resent Tyson Chandler, b/c he was so hyped up, and has done nothing but let me down. Maybe this season he'll fulfill the potential everyone boasts about, but as of right now I have a pretty cynical outlook. Good analysis though, I'm now less annoyed than my initial reaction.

P.S- Wash out my mouth? I don't even consider Sh.t to be a swear word, but fer some reason the mods here do. Anyways, sorry mom

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S- Wash out my mouth? I don't even consider Sh.t to be a swear word, but fer some reason the mods here do. Anyways, sorry mom

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to the swear word. I was referring to the blasphemy that Chandler sucks. He's the glue. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go_Blue88 10-04-2005 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to the swear word. I was referring to the blasphemy that Chandler sucks. He's the glue. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh ha, well a lot of the reputable analysts agree with you. We'll see. Overall though, I'm very optimistic about all of the Chicago sports teams. The Blackhawks will be great this season, the Bulls are coming off of a hot streak, the Bears have an outstanding defense and the White Sox are finally playing well again (although I'm a Cubs fan). Whenever I think about this, I feel pretty good.

Phoenix1010 10-04-2005 02:52 AM

The Bulls made the smart choice, and got about as good a deal as they could hope for. Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out. He proved that he could be a dominant scorer, it wasn't just about potential anymore. If he's going to be a productive player for the next ten years, then the Bulls got screwed out of a future allstar for the last pick in the first round draft, a decent backup PF, a salary cap killer, and some second round draft picks. If it turns out that Curry really is a health liability, then they basically got something for nothing. It's probably best for them to move on, but this a big hit, and a shame for them. They can't look forward to the same success next year.

mmbt0ne 10-04-2005 03:22 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

All he's gotta do is get out of Tayshaun Prince's weight class.

xadrez 10-04-2005 09:13 AM

I heard it was the Knicks 1st rounder in 2006.

pokerdirty 10-04-2005 09:46 AM

bust.

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. This is like poker and you can't be results orieneted. Based on all information available at the time, this is a total steal. What you wrote is like "whether or not it's a good decision to go for it on 4th down depends on if they make it." GMAB. I agree that they won't be as good, but I fully expected them to regress a little this year anyways.

Regarding Curry's talent in particular, the all-star talk is way out of line, even in the Eastern Conference. He may make one, but it's not like he's ever going to be a perennial all-star with his work ethic. And "productive player" at a max or near-max deal is just as big a salary cap killer as Tim Thomas is, but with a whole lot more years left. Ugh. I'm glad the heartache is over for the Bulls.

IndieMatty 10-04-2005 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We will find out soon enough, remember the Knicks have two picks next year. And two seconds as well. Initial reports have an exchange of picks as well. Who knows, it's a risky move, but in the end its just Sweetney for Curry, which if the doctors say fine, you have to do.

IndieMatty 10-04-2005 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. This is like poker and you can't be results orieneted. Based on all information available at the time, this is a total steal. What you wrote is like "whether or not it's a good decision to go for it on 4th down depends on if they make it." GMAB. I agree that they won't be as good, but I fully expected them to regress a little this year anyways.

Regarding Curry's talent in particular, the all-star talk is way out of line, even in the Eastern Conference. He may make one, but it's not like he's ever going to be a perennial all-star with his work ethic. And "productive player" at a max or near-max deal is just as big a salary cap killer as Tim Thomas is, but with a whole lot more years left. Ugh. I'm glad the heartache is over for the Bulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a steal for who? Deal looks to be in the 6 years at 36-40m range (similar to Crawford). I think it's even or leaning the Knicks way to be honest, and I really like Sweetney. He just needs to quit fouling so much and stay on the court.

Edit: I have no idea what the deal is now the Tribune is reporting some things, MSG others. Apparently the knicks will release AD, which makes no sense. I guess, I'll just wait.

Clarkmeister 10-04-2005 10:12 AM

Funny quote I saw from an interview with Skiles early last year.

Reporter question: "what can Curry do to improve his rebounding?"

Skiles answer: "Jump."

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

IndieMatty 10-04-2005 10:47 AM

FYI; I just picked this up yesterday.

2005-06 Knicks Micro Plan C

Knicks Micro Plan C

Philadelphia 76ers Sat Nov 26
12:30 PM

New Jersey Nets Mon Dec 26
7:30 PM

Detroit Pistons Thu Jan 19
8:00 PM

Los Angeles Clippers Tue Feb 7

Denver Nuggets Mon Mar 13

Indiana Pacers Fri Apr 7
8:00 PM

Charlotte Bobcats Mon Apr 17

xadrez 10-04-2005 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We will find out soon enough, remember the Knicks have two picks next year. And two seconds as well. Initial reports have an exchange of picks as well. Who knows, it's a risky move, but in the end its just Sweetney for Curry, which if the doctors say fine, you have to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be happier if I find out its the Spurs pick though. Regardless, the Knicks needed to make this move, I agree with you 100%.

IndieMatty 10-04-2005 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be happier if I find out its the Spurs pick though. Regardless, the Knicks needed to make this move, I agree with you 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Isiah has stocked up on draft picks, it's going to be at the point where we couldn't even sign them anymore. Vee will see. I really can't complain with a rotation like this...

C Curry/James
PF Frye/Rose/James/MoT
SF Q-Rich/Ariza?/Lee/MoT
SG Crawford/Q Rich/Ariza/Nate
PG Marbury/Crawford/Nate

xadrez 10-04-2005 12:03 PM

I like a starting 5 of

C-Curry
PF-Frye
SF-Ariza
SG-QRich
PG-Marbury

I think Ariza will develop into a starter this year. Also, Im glad we didnt give away Lee. I think he might be the best pick the Knicks made this past draft.

lil_o 10-04-2005 12:07 PM

This is a high risk/reward move. Having Larry Brown at the helm, he won't tolerate a lazy work ethic or poor attitude from Curry so he will have to earn his minutes. Jerome James will be forced to work harder if he wants minutes. Apparently Crawford and Curry were friends in Chicago so maybe there will be some positive chemistry.

If Curry dies does his salary come off the cap?

IndieMatty 10-04-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a high risk/reward move. Having Larry Brown at the helm, he won't tolerate a lazy work ethic or poor attitude from Curry so he will have to earn his minutes. Jerome James will be forced to work harder if he wants minutes. Apparently Crawford and Curry were friends in Chicago so maybe there will be some positive chemistry.

If Curry dies does his salary come off the cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, after a year.