Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Aggro hand against FossilMan (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=85674)

The Gift Of Gab 05-12-2004 09:33 PM

Aggro hand against FossilMan

Same four-handed 5-10 NLHE as the other post. People have changed seats and Greg is now across the table from me. I think we both have over 2k.

FossilMan opens for 20 UTG. Button folds and I make it 80 straight with red 99. The BB gets out of the way and Greg calls.

Flop (170) is KQ5, all spades. Gorgeous. I bet 140 and Greg calls.

Turn (450) is 8s and we both check.

River (450) is a small, unassuming card. I bet 350.

Some of the details might be wrong and maybe Greg can correct them. Stay tuned for results.

theBruiser500 05-13-2004 12:04 AM

Re: Aggro hand against FossilMan

What immeadiately comes to mind is a touranment report fossilman made about i think foxwoods $10,000 tournament. he had a pair of dueces and called preflop, on the flop, and a significant bet on the river all unimproved. i would be very hesitant to try and push him off a hand.

cornell2005 05-13-2004 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Same four-handed 5-10 NLHE as the other post. People have changed seats and Greg is now across the table from me. I think we both have over 2k.

FossilMan opens for 20 UTG. Button folds and I make it 80 straight with red 99. The BB gets out of the way and Greg calls.

Flop (170) is KQ5, all spades. Gorgeous. I bet 140 and Greg calls.

Turn (450) is 8s and we both check.

River (450) is a small, unassuming card. I bet 350.

Some of the details might be wrong and maybe Greg can correct them. Stay tuned for results.

[/ QUOTE ]

since i know how neither of you guys play or how the 4 handed game had been going i cant comment on the hand specifically, but its interesting. like to hear what both were thinking

Acesover8s 05-13-2004 02:47 AM

If I'm going to bluff again here I'm bluffing the turn. If he calls, I shut down, unless I river two more nines. Checking the turn and betting the river looks wierd here, unless he's seen you do it before with similar hands.

theBruiser500 05-13-2004 11:41 AM

I agree with acesover8s here, I think betting the river here is a little suspicious, betting the turn looks more natural with a real holding. Aces says he'd shut down on the river but if you bet the turn and the river is a spade that might be a good place to try again, depends on how the game was going.

Greg (FossilMan) 05-13-2004 08:25 PM

I must have opened for either 25 or 30; I never mini-raise unless it's heads-up and that's enough to put somebody all-in.

I'll let you provide the results before I comment on why I played it as I did.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

The Gift Of Gab 05-14-2004 06:21 AM

This was the only time you did it, so I think it must have been a misclick.

The Gift Of Gab 05-14-2004 07:57 AM

He beat me into the pot with 64s. I was disappointed he didn't at least think a little.

On the flop I thought he might raise me with a small flush, since I could be drawing pretty live. I'd play a big spade this way pretty often, especially one that wasn't the ace. He called me so fast that I'm wondering if I get called by two pair or a set here. Also, it hurts my chances that the king and queen are out there, since he knows I have big cards and there aren't lots of big spades left.

theBruiser500 05-14-2004 08:57 AM

It looks like Fossilman was thinking a level above you. Normally a small flush would raise that flop because it could get outdrawn fairly easily but he didn't very deceptively.

I want to point out at this time that my words turned out to be prophetic, it is not a good idea to try and push Fossilman off a hand.

The Gift Of Gab 05-15-2004 06:41 AM

This hand was a mess; I think you're right about bluffing the turn or just giving up. The river bet would have carried more weight if he'd seen me play a big spade like this before, but he hadn't. Although I wouldn't have taken a third shot at it, a turn bet would be backed up by the threat of a big bet on the end. That's a lot of heat to take with a small or medium flush, especially when I'm marked with big cards.