Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Key PT stats for Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352019)

Luxorr 10-06-2005 07:32 PM

Key PT stats for Omaha/8

Hey,

I started playing omaha/8 six months ago and havent been interested in playing any other game since. I would have to say Im an addict. I purchased Poker Tracker O8 a month ago thinking the rating icon would be enough to go on when searching for the best tables. I was wrong. Could someone tell me which are the most/least important poker tracker stats to go by when trying to tell the good players apart from the bad? There are a few things that confuse me. It seems PT places a high value on "win at showdown %" There are quite a few players who have a high Win%/showdown but are losing players. They are rated ahead of players with a lower % but who are winning players! To me this is really confusing.

I am using the default ranking settings from pt. Are there any other avalible for download? I have done a search and holdem is all i come up with. I have been reading this forum for a while and would really love some input. There are alot of excellent players who post here.
thanks in advance,

Luxorr

gergery 10-07-2005 01:13 AM

Re: Key PT stats for Omaha/8

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

I started playing omaha/8 six months ago and havent been interested in playing any other game since. I would have to say Im an addict. I purchased Poker Tracker O8 a month ago thinking the rating icon would be enough to go on when searching for the best tables. I was wrong. Could someone tell me which are the most/least important poker tracker stats to go by when trying to tell the good players apart from the bad? There are a few things that confuse me. It seems PT places a high value on "win at showdown %" There are quite a few players who have a high Win%/showdown but are losing players. They are rated ahead of players with a lower % but who are winning players! To me this is really confusing.

I am using the default ranking settings from pt. Are there any other avalible for download? I have done a search and holdem is all i come up with. I have been reading this forum for a while and would really love some input. There are alot of excellent players who post here.
thanks in advance,

Luxorr

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the tools section at www.o8poker.com for some PT stats info.

-g

Wintermute 10-07-2005 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am using the default ranking settings from pt.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been said that these default rankings are for sh!t. I think others have created some custom auto-rate settings that work well (Mendacious, I think?)... but I'd hesitate to take these autorate rules outside of *limit* O8; in PLO8, the range of stats that can win/lose is so wide that autorating will just give you misconceptions about the skill of your opponent.

gergery 10-07-2005 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am using the default ranking settings from pt.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been said that these default rankings are for sh!t. I think others have created some custom auto-rate settings that work well (Mendacious, I think?)... but I'd hesitate to take these autorate rules outside of *limit* O8; in PLO8, the range of stats that can win/lose is so wide that autorating will just give you misconceptions about the skill of your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the default autorate setting are reasonable and will help newer players. But I personally just rely on the raw HUD data.

-g

Luxorr 10-07-2005 09:55 AM

Thanks for the Info guys.

Luxorr

Ironman 10-07-2005 10:03 AM

I think the autorate defaults are now the numbers that L0QtiS (I know I probably got that wrong...I'm very sorry) put together for us at the beginning of the year.

When I play, the only numbers I want to see are VPIP:

Are they less than 15%? Are they greater than 30%?

How many hands do I have against them? If it's greater than 50 hands are they a winning player?

If my opponents are between 18% and 28% VPIP, then I play the cards.

If my opponents fall outside those numbers, then I play the players.

Hope that helps. By the way, my numbers at 3/6 are 6.25 BB/100

Dave

10-07-2005 10:18 AM

I never understand the real need to play with autorate rules when I can just see directly what my opponents stats are. Less theoretical work and more user info seems a good combo.

AnyAce 10-07-2005 10:19 AM

I only play PLO8 $100. I look at VPIP, net win/loss and postflop agg factor in determining how I am going to play a hand.

I know that the range of VPIP for PLO8 is wider than for limit as Wintermute suggested, but I look for players with VPIP about 40 or higher. I know that there are winning players with VPIPs this high, but they are less common than fish with VPIP this high.

In my PT database I have 1,000 hands or more with 71 players.

VPIP < 40 = 40 winners, 19 losers (68% winners)
VPIP >= 40 = 6 winners, 6 losers (50% winners)

I realize 1,000 hands is a small sample but I think lends a little evidence to my argument.

Also, many of the people with VPIP >40 don't even make it to 1,000 hands before busting out. The "Look, I have a backdoor straight draw and a backdoor low draw, sure I'll call all my chips on the flop" crowd never lasts.

Hope this helps.
AA

Luxorr 10-13-2005 08:41 PM

Would adding b/100 to the auto ranking stats be of an use at all? If so, what would be a good b/100 for the different types of players? I would be using it for PLO $25.

thanks