Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A Once-Every-Three-Months Play to Add to Your Arsenal (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357426)

W. Deranged 10-14-2005 05:04 AM

A Once-Every-Three-Months Play to Add to Your Arsenal

Hi folks,

This is sort of random. I made a play today playing 3/6 6max today that reminded me of a hand I had played (and posted about) playing 10/20 in NYC this summer. Both situations were very similar, and in both cases I found the same pleasing result. I thought I'd share it with y'all so you might be on the lookout for this type of situation in your play.

The basic idea is this:

You raise in early position with a big A-high hand (AK, AQ, AJ), and get cold-called by two or more opponents.

The flop comes something like: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (The key is that the flop is low and contains two to a flush).

You bet the flop, get one or more callers, and the villain in the last position raises. Everyone calls.

Turn is a blank, say the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Everyone checks to the last position player and he checks behind.

River is another blank, not completing the flush draw, let's say the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

You should check, with the intent of check-raising a bet from the last position villain.

It's pretty cool, and it's the kind of play that'll make you feel pretty badass. And that's good for the poker psyche.

toss 10-14-2005 05:14 AM

Re: A Once-Every-Three-Months Play to Add to Your Arsenal

I like it.

ArturiusX 10-14-2005 05:15 AM

I'd prefer it from the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

W. Deranged 10-14-2005 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire point is that it is not the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

ArturiusX 10-14-2005 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire point is that it is not the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see it now.

Yeah I dig.

Shillx 10-14-2005 05:27 AM

Yup. A very good example of a time when you don't want overcalls.

newhizzle 10-14-2005 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

um... i think the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] gives vilain a flush

i like it by the way against the right opponent and once every 3 months

SackUp 10-14-2005 05:34 AM

An interesting play indeed. It is nice when players define their hands for you so you can exploit them when they try to bluff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

10-14-2005 08:16 AM

Interesting idea - Main worry would be some fish in 2/4 might call 2 cold with A9 in this spot while there will be some cases Villain has something like 45 suited and a harmless looking 6 on the river could end in disaster.

popesc 10-14-2005 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

um... i think the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] gives vilain a flush

i like it by the way against the right opponent and once every 3 months

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the river would be a misdeal since a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] already appeared on the flop.