Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Has anyone else not told their parents they are a poker pro? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320608)

betgo 08-22-2005 07:11 PM

Has anyone else not told their parents they are a poker pro?

I have been playing full time for 1/2 year and as a major source of income for 1 1/2 years. Told my parents I am still doing software development. Haven't even told them I play poker recreationally. Was at my uncle's funeral Saturday and told everyone I did software work.

Victor 08-22-2005 07:46 PM

Re: Has anyone else not told their parents they are a poker pro?

i told my whole family. they think i am crazy but have no serious problems. my 80 yr old grandpa wants me to teach him this "internet thing." my grandma is the only one who disapproves. my dad is jealous.

heres the thing. i hate lying, especially to people i like and respect.

Ed Miller 08-22-2005 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing full time for 1/2 year and as a major source of income for 1 1/2 years. Told my parents I am still doing software development.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise. Everyone I know still thinks I work for Microsoft. Any ideas on how to break the news?

thejameser 08-22-2005 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing full time for 1/2 year and as a major source of income for 1 1/2 years. Told my parents I am still doing software development.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise. Everyone I know still thinks I work for Microsoft. Any ideas on how to break the news?

[/ QUOTE ]

first, tell them you are wanted in 3 states for a series of homocides. and oh yeah, you play poker for a living. when they calm down tell them truth. simple.

TheIrishThug 08-22-2005 09:24 PM

i just told my parents i play for money online. they knew i played with friends and stuff, but seem to not aprove of me playing online. which i knew from the get go (hence the not telling them for 9 months).

i told them because i really didn't like having them in the dark of my major hobby. i figured i had built up a big enough bankroll from, litterally, nothing. but apparently not. they gave me the whole, "well its nice that u r up now..." but since i'm going back to school soon, it won't be an issue until i have to tell my dad he needs to add x in as other income on my tax form.

jokerthief 08-22-2005 09:27 PM

Send them your book.

Justin A 08-22-2005 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Start by telling them you moved to Vegas.

Daliman 08-22-2005 09:48 PM

My wife still hasn't told her parents I play for a living.

Dominic 08-22-2005 11:23 PM

I don't know....show them one of your books?

Felix_Nietsche 08-23-2005 12:06 AM

Here is what you do..........

Tell them a drug dealer or pimp.
It is better than telling them you're a poker pro. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]