Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sagarin Predictor rulezzz! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390256)

lastchance 12-02-2005 10:09 PM

Sagarin Predictor rulezzz!

I think this is one of the best articles I have seen:
FO: Which are better, close wins or blowouts?

kyro 12-02-2005 11:22 PM

Re: Sagarin Predictor rulezzz!

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is one of the best articles I have seen:

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack agrees with you.

MCS 12-03-2005 07:12 PM

Lastchance, as one of the Sagarin predictor's most vocal boosters on 2+2, I am ecstatic you posted this.

You have made me so happy.

jstnrgrs 12-03-2005 07:15 PM

It makes sense that using margin of victory is a good way to predict results of future games. However, I don't think it is approprate to use it to award championships (or places in a championship game).

DougOzzzz 12-03-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes sense that using margin of victory is a good way to predict results of future games. However, I don't think it is approprate to use it to award championships (or places in a championship game).

[/ QUOTE ]

who (in this thread) said it was?

jstnrgrs 12-03-2005 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anyone said it was, I was just stating my opinion. Afterall, A few years ago, points based computer rankings were used in the BCS.

Jack of Arcades 12-03-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anyone said it was, I was just stating my opinion. Afterall, A few years ago, points based computer rankings were used in the BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Points-based computer rankings are far better than ELO-Chess rankings.

DougOzzzz 12-03-2005 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Points-based computer rankings are far better than ELO-Chess rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are vastly superior for predicting outcomes. But it is up for debate whether they should be used for awarding championships. Afterall, if an NFL team wins 52-0 in the first round, 49-0 in the 2nd round, and loses 21-20 in the conference championship, they normally don't advance to the Super Bowl despite a better computer rating in the playoffs.

Jack of Arcades 12-03-2005 08:26 PM

Doug,

But a playoff system has nothing to do with this. Given that we're using objective and subjective rankings it makes sense to use Sagarin over ELO Chess.

DougOzzzz 12-03-2005 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doug,

But a playoff system has nothing to do with this. Given that we're using objective and subjective rankings it makes sense to use Sagarin over ELO Chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. As I said it is up for debate. I am not sure where I stand on the issue myself.

Edit:

On one hand I feel that the best teams should be in the championship game. On the other hand I feel that the goal of a football game is to win, and not win by 150 points. These opinions conflict when it comes to deciding whether or not MOV should be used to determine BCS championship teams.