Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Am I a Nit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405717)

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 02:58 AM

Am I a Nit?

A couple of people called me a nit in the deep stack thread. Maybe I am. I don't know.

Someone give me the traditional 2+2 definition of a nit and/or the origin of the word so I can decipher if I should take offense.

Thanks.

Photoc 12-27-2005 03:19 AM

Re: Am I a Nit?

You are [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

mgsimpleton 12-27-2005 03:30 AM

well how old are you and how long have you been playing live 1/2 poker without moving up? over a year?

do you limp AK or QQ in early position?

do you pick on people who are younger and better looking than yourself merely because they have been more successful in their shorter poker careers?

i think 2/3 qualifies you...

AZK 12-27-2005 03:37 AM

If you have to ask....

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well how old are you and how long have you been playing live 1/2 poker without moving up? over a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thirty. Yes. Why do I need to move up?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AK, limp, this hand sucks. QQ, raise it up.

[ QUOTE ]
do you pick on people who are younger and better looking than yourself merely because they have been more successful in their shorter poker careers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I pick on people who let it be known that they are loaded and high rollin and going to clean up the toughest games in town, when they have had no experience doing such a thing. I do this, because I encounter these people everyday.

If I pass judgement on someone and am wrong, so be it. I have been wrong before. There are plenty of good, young, poker players. There are plenty of pretenders too.

Still didn't give me a definition.

TheMetetron 12-27-2005 04:07 AM

Bonus-

If players were placing illegal sidebets with people on rail about the color of the flop for each hand, would you feel bothered and call the floor/dealer to do something?

MrFeelNothin 12-27-2005 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I pick on people who let it be known that they are loaded and high rollin and going to clean up the toughest games in town, when they have had no experience doing such a thing. I do this, because I encounter these people everyday.

If I pass judgement on someone and am wrong, so be it. I have been wrong before. There are plenty of good, young, poker players. There are plenty of pretenders too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just keeps getting better. The definition of nit=YOU.

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonus-

If players were placing illegal sidebets with people on rail about the color of the flop for each hand, would you feel bothered and call the floor/dealer to do something?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, wouldn't care. Would a nit?

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This just keeps getting better. The definition of nit=YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad that I have been able to amuse you. So I am definately a nit because I don't raise AK in early position? Let me guess, a non-nit would just push here right?

12-27-2005 04:19 AM

do you know what a herb is? i think you might be on of these too.

sternroolz 12-27-2005 04:29 AM

Definition of a nit:

Letting a homeless guy put you on tilt enough that you call him down with Q high.

12-27-2005 04:35 AM

if you're a nit, you will never understand why, so there's no point explaining it to you.

ps, youre a nit

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 04:45 AM

And still noone can give me a definition other than to say you are one. Is being a nit about attitude, poor play, ego? What skills do I need to work on in order to be the best nit I can be?

Also, what is the diffrence between a nit and a donk? Maybe I am a donk too???

mgsimpleton 12-27-2005 05:02 AM

i would say you're more of a dipsh*t than a nit or a donk. but i haven't seen you play poker so i'm speaking only from experience.

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would say you're more of a dipsh*t than a nit or a donk. but i haven't seen you play poker so i'm speaking only from experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love working people up into a frenzy enough to call me names over nothing. You take yourself way to seriously. Now that I have control of your emotions go make me a sandwich.

Al_Capone_Junior 12-27-2005 05:46 AM

If you have to ask the question...

You probably are. Remind me to kick you in the nuts next time you are in town. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

Photoc 12-27-2005 05:57 AM

Al, Tracker is in town at all times. So let the nut kicking begin.

In some countries, it's consider an honor to be kicked in the nuts by Capone. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Al_Capone_Junior 12-27-2005 06:16 AM

nits, donks and magoos

[ QUOTE ]
And still noone can give me a definition other than to say you are one. Is being a nit about attitude, poor play, ego? What skills do I need to work on in order to be the best nit I can be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ok, enough fooling around.

A nit is a non-useful idiot troll. They tend to ruin the game by backseat dealing, being generalized jerks, and of course NIT-picking every little thing, particularly when it's to their advantage to do so. They also rarely do much for the action at the table, more likely killing it than adding to it. A nit may or may not be a winning player, but if they are, it's usually not by much.

"Donk" is much different. A donk is just a person who is playing badly at the time, whether they're usually a shark or a minnow. Donk was adapted in the modern age from the more ancient latin term [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] "magoo," which is a person who can't even read their own cards, let alone the board. Both donk and magoo can be adapted into nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and probably, if you're redneck enough, prepositions that you could end a sentence with nine of. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

shant 12-27-2005 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus-

[/ QUOTE ]

No, wouldn't care. Would a nit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome.

FatalError 12-27-2005 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I pick on people who are better than me at things . I do this, because I encounter these people everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

TakeMeToTheRiver 12-27-2005 10:27 AM

From Urbandictionary.com

[ QUOTE ]
nit
gambling term. usually found in poolrooms. Refers to:
1. Someone who's so afraid to lose a bet that they have to be coddled and convinced for an hour that they're going to have a great time and probably win, too. Eventually they may play, but by the time they get on the table the stakes are so low the table-time will eat any winnings you make.
2. someone who won't play unless they have a guaranteed sure win.
3. someone who'll squeeze a dollar 'til george's eyes pop out of the paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 3. I would add that a nit believes that he is maximizing his profits by playing ultra-tight and criticizing the actions of others that he disagrees with. In fact, most nit-like move are -EV over the long term [whether in terms of money or quality of life].

flawless_victory 12-27-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[AK, limp, this hand sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
GHAHAHAHAH. WHAT A NIT!

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 12:14 PM

Re: nits, donks and magoos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ok, enough fooling around.

A nit is a non-useful idiot troll. They tend to ruin the game by backseat dealing, being generalized jerks, and of course NIT-picking every little thing, particularly when it's to their advantage to do so. They also rarely do much for the action at the table, more likely killing it than adding to it. A nit may or may not be a winning player, but if they are, it's usually not by much.

"Donk" is much different. A donk is just a person who is playing badly at the time, whether they're usually a shark or a minnow. Donk was adapted in the modern age from the more ancient latin term [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] "magoo," which is a person who can't even read their own cards, let alone the board. Both donk and magoo can be adapted into nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and probably, if you're redneck enough, prepositions that you could end a sentence with nine of. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it to Al to step up with a straight forward answer. Upon review, I am going to say I fail to qualify for nit status.

I am a dealer so I definalty do not "backseat deal". I am generally only a jerk on the internet, less chance of being beaten up this way. I don't tend to say much at all at the table, but rather just listen and watch. You learn much more this way. As far as action, if I am running well, I will gambool it up for sure. If I am getting cold cards or missing flops I tend to tighten up maybe a bit to much. But as far as that goes, winning poker is as much about saving your money when you don't have the best of it. Its all one long session.

The_Tracker 12-27-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Urbandictionary.com

[ QUOTE ]
nit
gambling term. usually found in poolrooms. Refers to:
1. Someone who's so afraid to lose a bet that they have to be coddled and convinced for an hour that they're going to have a great time and probably win, too. Eventually they may play, but by the time they get on the table the stakes are so low the table-time will eat any winnings you make.
2. someone who won't play unless they have a guaranteed sure win.
3. someone who'll squeeze a dollar 'til george's eyes pop out of the paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 3. I would add that a nit believes that he is maximizing his profits by playing ultra-tight and criticizing the actions of others that he disagrees with. In fact, most nit-like move are -EV over the long term [whether in terms of money or quality of life].

[/ QUOTE ]

The results are in, its official. I am NOT a Nit.

1. I am usually the one offering prop bets to my friends on just about anything I can think of at the time. For example, I recently bet a friend $100 on a game of connect four.
2. No, not me.
3. I am hardly tight, I toke dealers and waitresses nickels for their service instead of dollars. If I am on a big winning streak dealers and waitresses LOVE me. (I work for tokes too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Glad we cleared all this up.

stinkypete 12-27-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The results are in, its official. I am NOT a Nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what jason_t says

GoblinMason (Craig) 12-27-2005 01:39 PM

Another thread just reminded me of another nit move:

If your friends are going to go do something fun and invite you along, do you say no because your 1/2 nl game is too good?

Also,

OP, You are definitely a nit.

-Craig

IgorSmiles 12-27-2005 07:51 PM

Limping with A/k does not make you a nit. Limping with A/K, then crying like a baby when A/9 outflops you makes you a nit.

You also are a nit if you:

Spend more than 4 seconds debating whether to post a blind or not.

Spend more than 4 seconds arguing over whether you are supposed to post a blind.

Spend more than 4 seconds arguing over whether you should table your hand or not.

Call the floor for a ruling which has no bearing on the actual outcome of the game.

steamboatin 12-27-2005 09:36 PM

Check this thread.

You might be a NIT

DrSavage 12-27-2005 09:50 PM

When you sit down at the table, look around. If you can't spot a nit, chances are it's you.

Chaostracize 12-27-2005 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I have control of your emotions go make me a sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Petty and unlikely to illicit the expected response.

yvesaint 12-27-2005 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I love working people up into a frenzy enough to call me names over nothing. You take yourself way to seriously. Now that I have control of your emotions go make me a sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, you made a thread asking "Am I a Nit?"

case closed

Chaostracize 12-27-2005 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]!! Vanessa just called me good looking!

yvesaint 12-27-2005 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored]!! Vanessa just called me good looking!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're bringing 15k to Vegas? And this is your first time? Man, you must be a young hotshot. Don't bring your whole bankroll - take my word for it, I've been here for years eking out a "living" some call it at 1/2 NL. I've seen it all.

Chaostracize 12-27-2005 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At no point did I specify what my entire bankroll was or what relation the $15k was to my bankroll. At no point in my original deep stack thread did I intend to brag about the amount of money I was bringing, rather it was a tool for others to answer the question I brought to the table, so to speak.

I don't consider the stakes I play to be high rolling. Some would agree. Some would disagree. We know which camp you are in.

In regards to having or not having experience playing live, you are once again reading all that white type that I apparently put into my deep stack post. I have played live since I was 18, legally and illegal, but that is immaterial. To argue with such conviction that there is simply no way on God's green earth that I could have played live AND have this amount of money merely shows your ineptitude regarding poker, reading comprehension, and really, life in general.

At no point in my original thread did I mention anything about "cleaning up" the games in Vegas. For all I know I may lose all the money I bring. But I am bringing it to gamble. What I do with my money is of relatively little concern of yours, although, I suppose I do appreciate it in some bizarro-world type way.

At no point in my post did I mention trying to beat the "toughest" games. Rather, as a card player, and this might be of fiscal interest to you, I try to find soft games. In games where there is relatively easy competition I am at a higher probability to win money. If the stakes are higher, I stand to win even more. In my original post I merely stated that I wanted to find deep-stacked games, because, as I originally stated, it is the best way to make the most out of a profitable situation. Plus, I find it more enjoyable.

You play 1/2 nl. I'm also assuming you buy-in anywhere from $100-$200. This is somewhat shortstack poker, especially the $100 buy in. Tight, aggressive play will win you money there. Post flop play is less mandatory. In deep stack play, poker becomes a different game, and it requires a LOT of post flop play. This is the type of play I am looking for in Vegas, Tracker.

I'm sure you have encountered many people who are unaware of their relative skill in the card-playing arena. I make no such mistake, and perhaps am on the opposite side of the spectrum in that I am well aware of how others play and strive to overcome my downfalls, and more importantly seek them out aggressively. It is this that ensures that I continue learning the specificities of this (in my humble opinion) fine craft.

I hope this clears things up for you and that you can see why you've been responded to so negatively.

Have a fine day and a fine New Years.

Ulysses 12-28-2005 01:15 AM

Chaos,

Well said. Good luck on your trip. Consider a trip out to Commerce sometime. You'll enjoy the 10-20NL games there.

andyfox 12-28-2005 01:48 AM

Someone give me the traditional 2+2 definition of a nit and/or the origin of the word so I can decipher if I should take offense.

Nit=Rick Nebiolo

12-28-2005 02:04 AM

Good luck on your trip, and don't let these idiots bother you. I love how everyone assumes $15k is your bankroll, or even close to your bankroll. How do we know that you aren't just wealthy by family, received an inheritance, had a great business idea, hit the lottery, etc?

Enjoy your time, and go to the Wynn.

Randy_Refeld 12-28-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Nit=Rick Nebiolo

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has lowered his nit level. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The_Tracker 12-28-2005 02:15 AM

Good post bro. You have earned my respect if that means anything to you. (It really shouldn't, I'm nobody special)

Nevertheless, you sound like you know your game and that is good. So many half-cocked a-holes running around like they are poker gods its hard to tell sometimes who the real deal is. Maybe you are. Maybe not. I wish you the best of luck.

Yes, it is true I play 1/2nl. I also occasinally play 2/5nl if I am running well or have some extra winnings in my bankroll. But, I am not trying to play for a living. I play for fun, and to make a little money on the side. I have a full time job and play on my days off usually. I am not always the best player at the table but am never the worst. If you are succesfull enough at the game at 21 yrs. old that you can put 15K into risk then so be it. In my own perverse way I was trying to look out for you, but it seems you have your head screwed on straight.

You're ok in my book. Again, good luck.

Chaostracize 12-28-2005 02:25 AM

Commerce is Cali, yes?

Also, El D, you are the first person I'm responding to now that I'm 21.

I'm also half cocked.

I'm going to the Borgata in early January and I've heard good things, so I'm pretty damn excited for that, too.