Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   I should have just pushed all-in pre-flop right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=272522)

pearljam 06-14-2005 05:06 AM

I should have just pushed all-in pre-flop right?

I have to give this guy credit, that all-in was a really good move. In fact he played very well the whole tournament which leads me to believe that his hand range is'nt that good hear. I THINK the best move is push pre- flop, and I think that even though I did limp in I should call this all-in.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

Button (t5705)
SB (t820)
BB (t335)
Hero (t1140)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls t300, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t5705 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t6455

Shilly 06-14-2005 05:08 AM

Re: I should have just pushed all-in pre-flop right?

If you're going to enter the pot at all, do so with a push. As long as the button's range of calling isn't super-loose, I'm pushing most of the time here.

Mr_J 06-14-2005 05:28 AM

His range should be extremely wide here, any 2. Calling here says you might have a good hand but are not willing to risk going in when there is 1 very short stack, and the other guy ain't to healthy either. You DON'T want to be called here, which is why you push preflop (to maximise folding equity). I really don't think this is a situation to get tricky, but to play it straight and let him know.

shadyridr 06-14-2005 10:21 AM

The BB only has 1BB here. I like the fold to get into the money.

lastchance 06-14-2005 10:29 AM

Damn, I think open-folding might be a good idea here. If Button is good, there's no way you're open-limping, except with this spot, you just ITM'd getting BB to fold down to 35 chips.

So, open-limping isn't horrible. Open-pushing doesn't get you the chips you need... And open-folding?

I think open-limping is actually better than open-folding here, cuz either BB's getting down to 35 chips, or he has two people all-in with him.

wulfheir 06-14-2005 10:38 AM

I push this PF. It's a great place to double up, but I'd be happy with just picking up the blinds.

By folding, you are now left with &lt;2BB next hand.

lastchance 06-14-2005 10:42 AM

Getting called here by Button here would REALLY, REALLY suck. If Button was calling my all-in with any 2, this is a clear fold.

Since BB is also calling with any 2, I really don't know about a push, cuz you're really not picking up the blinds.

wulfheir 06-14-2005 10:43 AM

I push this PF. It's a gre

NotReady 06-14-2005 10:55 AM

I had a hand similar to this recently with AQ. I pushed, was called by BS in SB (~4500t), and BB (~40t), folded. I lost, and finished fourth. My stack at the time was ~1500 and the other player was about ~1100.

In this situation, why not call, then if the play proceeds as happened in this hand, fold. The goal is to make sure the small stack doesn't get an easy win in the BB, for instance if the BS tries to preserve the bubble.

I don't think of myself as very good at S&amp;G's, and have only been fooling around with them a few times a week, so take this for what it's worth.

Edit: I don't remember BS hand, but it was pretty bad, I was about 70-30 and lost.

the_joker 06-14-2005 11:09 AM

Probably an easy push. If the big stack is a total maniac that will call you with any two cards, then it's an easy fold. You don't want to call especially with AK. Definitely don't call then fold.