Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   starting hands for making big multiway pots (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243218)

Texas Pete 05-01-2005 12:53 AM

starting hands for making big multiway pots

Can someone provide an example of a starting hand/situation where one would want to make a big pot?

Niediam 05-01-2005 12:58 AM

Re: starting hands for making big multiway pots

Hands which have a legitimate change of winning both the high and low.

For example: ATs23

A23 is a terrific low hand as A2 obviously gives you the best low and you have counterfeit protection with the 3. Having three cards to a wheel also gives you a chance of making a straight if a lot of low cards come which will often win the high.

Having a suited Ace gives you another solid chance to win the high as a nut flush will usually take half of the pot.

Texas Pete 05-01-2005 01:17 AM

thx

Phat Mack 05-01-2005 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone provide an example of a starting hand/situation where one would want to make a big pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the flop?

By "make a big pot," do you mean raise when one is sure it won't drive anybody out, and the sole purpose of such a bet is to increase pot size?

Playing limit, pot limit or no limit?

Generally speaking, in limit games I make pot-building raises BFT when creating a big pot will cause opponents to take foolish actions on the later (big bet) streets.

Texas Pete 05-01-2005 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, in limit games I make pot-building raises BFT when creating a big pot will cause opponents to take foolish actions on the later (big bet) streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I don't understand, because a bigger pot makes more calls correct later on. Please 'splain.

Phat Mack 05-01-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This I don't understand, because a bigger pot makes more calls correct later on. Please 'splain.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are correct calls and incorrect calls, and of the correct calls some are more correct than others.

There are players looking for reasons to call, and there are players looking for reasons to fold. Players looking for reasons to call should be encouraged in their endevors. They will rationalize situations to make their plays +EV. Big pots help them to do so. Second nut low AND second nut flush? Even with the board paired, there's no way they can fold a 20 BB pot for 1 BB. And it may even be correct for them to call (think of how often 2nd nut low is good). But it may be even more correct for you to scoop them.

Lucy

Texas Pete 05-01-2005 11:51 PM

Makes sense. Thanks!

IronDragon1 05-02-2005 12:46 AM

I don't see how anything other than a suited ace and 23 makes any sense at all.

(of course I'm leaving out freak hands like AA23 ds and the like)

Niediam 05-02-2005 01:03 AM

It's because of the pot equity of the hands.