Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thinking While Playing (LC) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346544)

09-28-2005 10:33 PM

Thinking While Playing (LC)

I really don't want to make this post.

Does anyone have a nice trick for filtering out the clutter while playing such that you make a clear correct decision? I find myself often unable to quantify the many factors that I have to consider while playing. I think in general I'm pretty good at analysing hands after the fact.

Sorry for the annoying post; I hate these, but could use some help.

Firefly 09-28-2005 10:45 PM

Re: Thinking While Playing (LC)

First off: Clear your playing area: make it free of clutter and distractions (as much as possible). Second, I like listening to music when i play (I'm a very musical person), for me it's something so that i don't get bored while playing. Be comfortable while playing is generally the point i'm trying to make.
When you are thinking about a hand, i just like to take a deep breath, then replay the hand in my mind, think about it and decide on all the information -bet sizes, history of the hand, read of opponent etc..
Of course it is easier to analyze after the fact - though one caution, because after a hand takes place you are biased towards the result. That's why i, personally review my tournaments 2 weeks later because i won't remember the results. When you analyze a hand you have infinate time, whereas online you must decide in aprox 60 seconds. Therefore you will be able to use other tools to make a decision that was not as clear in the heat of battle

Wow, that's a ramble...

Exitonly 09-28-2005 10:46 PM

Music is a must.

Wayyyyy +EV for me when i listen to music. Upbeat = better.

09-28-2005 10:56 PM

You're right, music is probably +EV. I do watch TV sometimes and that is definately -EV. Don't do that.

-Chris

09-28-2005 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Music is a must.

Wayyyyy +EV for me when i listen to music. Upbeat = better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But I'm in school now, and I can't really justify playing online poker (for social reasons) without a bunch of kids doing their homework and stuff--so I won't control the music selection til winter break. I was thinking more along the lines of post-it notes on my computer or like a question to ask myself before making a play.

TomHimself 09-28-2005 10:59 PM

rap music

Lefthander 09-28-2005 10:59 PM

Adderall. No really, do you have a problem focusing in general, or just with regard to poker? I used to teach, and your "noise" comment sounds like what kids with ADD used to say.

09-28-2005 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rap music

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense. I'd rather die.

Cake- Satan is my motor is my personal favorite poker song. A close second is radiohead- idioteque.

09-28-2005 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adderall. No really, do you have a problem focusing in general, or just with regard to poker? I used to teach, and your "noise" comment sounds like what kids with ADD used to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I actually may have ADD. I tutored kids with ADD also, btw.

LethalRose 09-28-2005 11:21 PM

music is ok, but dont read. I often read when playing and I shouldnt.

Im reading right now in the stars 45k. I cant seem to put down a book until i finish reading it, i was up last night til 5 am reading.