Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pushing Jacks Preflop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386498)

ajmargarine 11-28-2005 12:21 AM

Pushing Jacks Preflop

.50/$1 NLHE 6-handed

UTG ($95)
Hero ($105)
CO ($150)
BB ($12)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $4.50, CO calls $4.50, 2 folds, BB pushes all in for $12 total, UTG calls $11, Hero pushes all-in for $105.

Standard or overboard (or you can't play post-flop so probably a good move for you, aj)?

beset7 11-28-2005 12:23 AM

Re: Pushing Jacks Preflop

i'd just call and take a flop or raise the pot. UTG has a whole stack that would like nice over on your side of the table.

zaphod 11-28-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard or overboard (or you can't play post-flop so probably a good move for you, aj)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not standard for me. I guess you must have some reads to make this play?
Care to comment on your reasons for making this move?

EMcWilliams 11-28-2005 12:33 AM

I also probably just call and take a flop, or wouldnt push, but would place in a healthy raise.

Malachii 11-28-2005 12:36 AM

Nice. I like it.

orange 11-28-2005 12:46 AM

I like it. Nice isolation play. Are you doing the same with AK?

ajmargarine 11-28-2005 12:52 AM

Hmmm. I almost didn't post this because I thought my push was pretty standard. But, the first 3 responders disagree, so here's the reasoning:

--there's $33 in the middle right now. That's 1/3 of a buy-in so I would be happy to have that. And I have a chance to get it by effectively putting only $7.50 more in the middle and play it HU agst the shortstack. That's good odds.

--Both CO and UTG have shown the strength of their hands, UTG twice. Doubtful either has QQ-AA, so I am ahead of both of them. (And if either held QQ, they might lay it down to my push)

--If I just call, CO is priced in to call as well. Now we are playing a 4-way set main pot. And we are playing 3-way for a sidepot which has $0 in it at the moment.

Any Q, K, A on the flop and it's very tricky for me to play sandwiched between two players. If it's all undercards, I'm probably getting it all in the middle, but only someone who flopped a set (pp=likely UTG hand) is going to go all the way with me more often than not, and then I get stacked. So really, only if I flop a set will I be happy if I just call.

--If I raise, any reasonable raise (PSR) from me commits me to the pot anyway (and whoever calls me, as well) as it will be around half my stack. So I chose to get it all in the middle.

Thoughts?

ajmargarine 11-28-2005 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. Nice isolation play. Are you doing the same with AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I PFR'd, so I'd probably do this with whatever hand I had there. Including the bottom of the barrel AT/KQ type hands. Think of the metagame implications. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

UTG and CO have shown their strength. Which isn't much. I've shown my strength, which is huuuuge. They should fold most everything they were just calling with initially.

ryanghall 11-28-2005 01:02 AM

I like to do this w/ JJ/QQ type hands. Push it.

Ryan

zaphod 11-28-2005 01:02 AM

I like your reasoning.