Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Critique (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=226569)

blahblah 04-05-2005 05:28 PM

Critique

I'm was in early middle position with ATh, I raise to $2.00 in a .25/.50 cent NLHE game. I get 4 callers and the pot is $9.75 total. The board is 3c Jd 5s. Two people check to me. I bet $10. Everyone folds. Before folding someone makes a comment and another person made a comment after about how "interesting" it was that I bet $10 in a pot of $9.75. I picked up the $10 pot on a bluff and am wondering if there was a better way to play this.

I'm feeling a bit self-conscious about the remarks and am wondering how others would have played it.

swolfe 04-05-2005 05:34 PM

Re: Critique

a pot-sized continuation bet is pretty standard after raising pre-flop.

how many players? i don't raise ATs from anywhere on a full table.

blahblah 04-05-2005 05:35 PM

Full table, 10 players. 4 took the flop.

xorbie 04-05-2005 05:37 PM

Yeah, you really shouldn't be playing ATs in MP for a raise, if you are going to be getting 4 people to the flop. The problem is that you end up having to make a huge continuation bet, and then when someone check/raises you (say with a set, or maybe just raises from behind with JJ), you end up losing a huge percentage of your stack.

blahblah 04-05-2005 05:38 PM

xorbie, would you have limped at least? Or would you not have played it at all?

edge 04-05-2005 05:39 PM

Limp preflop. ATs is not strong enough to be playing out of position if anyone calls your preflop raise. Even if you're at a really loose table, punish loose limpers by raising weaker hands in position, not out of it.

TrailofTears 04-05-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm feeling a bit self-conscious about the remarks

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me chuckle to myself under my breath.

[ QUOTE ]
wondering how others would have played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand or your emotional breakdown when questioned? For the former, that depends a whole hell of a lot on the table texture, but your line won you $10 with A high, so it was fine. For the latter, I like to build an arrow out of chips pointing at the jackass who questions me, and let him know he is my next target. Then avoid all pots with him.

xorbie 04-05-2005 05:42 PM

I would definitely limp with this in MP, even in EP at most tables. The key is that someone with JJ/QQ is going to be raising if they have it behind you, so you can just dump your hand (don't ever call raises with ATs or AJs unless you have a good read).

swolfe 04-05-2005 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i muck it in EP at a full table. but i'm tight.

NiR 04-05-2005 05:52 PM

i second that but i would play it on the button.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i muck it in EP at a full table. but i'm tight.

[/ QUOTE ]