Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Minors at home games? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296581)

oneeye13 07-22-2005 05:56 AM

Re: Minors at home games?

are all dead. did not read OP.

666 07-22-2005 06:18 AM

No one under the age of 18 has been playing long enough to be good.

kodonnell 07-22-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the teacher said that she was excellent at math, and could do the problems very quickly, but the teacher was confused when she asked sis to ad 7 and 15, and her answer was "Too Many".

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

MrBrightside 07-22-2005 02:02 PM

... exactly.. that's why we have a "no girlfriends or wives" (even at tourneys). Sorry, it's a guys nite for smoking cigars, cusing, etc. Most of us are married w/children and "guy time" is hard to come by.

Heck, I play poker with my 11-year-old at home (he's actually a pretty good bluffer heads up) and he'll watch me play a tourney on the 'net, but I wouldn't invite him along... no way.

Quicksilvre 07-23-2005 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I respect those of you who disagree with me, but I wonder if anyone with school age kids thinks I'm out of line here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 17, going on 18, and I did fine starting out at seven in football pools; I did a little better than even over three years. Still, I think your decision is pretty reasonable. It's not necessary to expose 11-year-olds to the environment of home poker games. It might be okay to bring one to a charity tournament, since the level of etiquette would (probably) be higher, but I wouldn't bring one to a guy's night out sort of situation. I never went into the bar where I placed my bets; my father always placed the bets for me.

Thirteen or fourteen for a charity tournament and sixteen for a home poker game ought to be pretty reasonable minimum age limits. By sixteen a kid can shoot the [censored] as well as anyone, and by thirteen they're close enough to be in a somewhat friendlier environment.

All in all, if you don't think a kid is ready (socially, etc.) for your game, don't let 'im in.

wonkadaddy 07-25-2005 01:34 AM

i'd suggest letting the kids come in for a little while.

i used to sit in on my dad's home games when i was 4. i loved it. it was obviously more of a novelty than anything, but it gave me a huge sense of pride to be allowed in on "dad's poker game." and i believe that in some way it encouraged me to keep playing games and developing math and logic skills.

i wasn't, however, allowed to ALWAYS play. i'd occasionally come in for a few hours. that way everyone could laugh up losing to the little kid AND still have their "guys time" after. playing games w/my dad were some of my best childhood memories and i would encourage other fathers to bring their kids to the occasional poker nite

Snoogins47 07-25-2005 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play with an 11 year old at the table.

I wouldn't play with a 15 year old at the table.

And I'm not sure if I'd play with a 17 year old at the table.

For me it's just a question of maturity and I find the majority (not all!) of teenagers are lacking. If I'm going to play in a home game I want the players there to be able to behave like grown ups and if that means tossing out the occasional 20 or 30 year old that acts like a child then so be it. And in the case of an 11 year old I just can't see how they'd have enough of a grasp of the game to be able to keep the game running smoothly, although I may be underestimating what an 11 year old can do.

Anyone under the age of 20 or so would really have to prove themselves to me before they'd get a seat in my game.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20, and have been playing for... basically forever and I'll be the first to admit that your average teenager is basically, a fuckwit or a hothead, when it comes to poker. The problem is, I haven't seen a trend of diminishing ass-hattery based on the player getting older.

If it's really just a matter of the mechanics of the game, I don't think you have to assume that's automatically a factor. I played 5-draw with my grandma for years when I was in the single digits, and used to win a good chunk of money whenever our family had a card-night and played penny-nickel-dime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think you're giving about the right amount of credit to teens, I just think you're overestimating the maturity level of the adult-folks.