Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (LC) How many SNGs do you guys play a month? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404920)

Sykes 12-25-2005 06:13 AM

(LC) How many SNGs do you guys play a month?

And at what level?

Also, How do you guys know when to move up?
Is it when your bankroll hits a certain level?
When you beat a level at a certain ROI%?

I'm thinking of putting in 1000 Sngs a month along with 20K hands a month starting in Jan of 2006. Is 1000 enough?

applejuicekid 12-25-2005 07:11 AM

Re: (LC) How many SNGs do you guys play a month?

I would be happy if I could actually get in 1000 a month. I play the 55s and probably get in around 500 to 800 a month.

I have no idea when to move up as I have only done so once, and it was when my bankroll reached 100 buy ins for the 55s. My bankroll has been more than sufficient to play the 109s for a while now, but moving up doesn't feel right. I'm not happy with my game right now, and will move up when I feel I have improved significantly.

I wouldn't move up based on my ROI nor would I not move up cuz my ROI is low. Bankroll and comfort level are more important in my opinion.

chisness 12-25-2005 08:33 AM

I think most full time pros like to put in 20-25 hours a week. Your # of games will be at least that, so I'd say it's definitely enough.

12-25-2005 11:35 AM

I shoot for 800 sng's a month at the $55's for now. I move up when I have beaten the $55's for a good ROI over 2000+ tournaments and am confident I can beat the $109s. My bankroll is big enough already.

curtains 12-26-2005 12:13 AM

Im going to try to play close to 1000 a month now with 10 tabling in sets for 3 hours per day. At some point I may even decide to play more, but we will see..

Sykes 12-26-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im going to try to play close to 1000 a month now with 10 tabling in sets for 3 hours per day. At some point I may even decide to play more, but we will see..

[/ QUOTE ]

Another question:

How many Sngs ($11) would I have to play to reach the top of the Party TLB? Also, I hear #1 on the list gets 5K, true or not?

Also, How do I get 300 views and only 4 replies? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Snarf 12-26-2005 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, How do I get 300 views and only 4 replies? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about how you guys structure your (semi) pro-SnG life style. ... but that is YEARS away for me if ever...
The difference between the volume youguys are talking about and my volume is laughable - so I just read...

I'm probably not alone?

Hendricks433 12-26-2005 12:49 AM

I thought that use to be a ton but when you start adding alot of tables youll be suprised by how many games you get in.

Snarf 12-26-2005 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that use to be a ton but when you start adding alot of tables youll be suprised by how many games you get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how you get there multi-tablin' it...

but my game needs enough work I try to keep it to 1-3 tables.

I can four table, but my game suffers enough its not worth it.

Mr_J 12-26-2005 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many Sngs ($11) would I have to play to reach the top of the Party TLB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many for you to play. Why would you spend more than a couple of hundred sngs at the $11s anyway?

Sykes 12-26-2005 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many Sngs ($11) would I have to play to reach the top of the Party TLB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many for you to play. Why would you spend more than a couple of hundred sngs at the $11s anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what, should I not even bother with the $11 and just jump straight to the $22? I have 60 buyins at the 22 in my BR but 95% of that money is from my limit play.

So how many SNGs would it take to reach top of the leaderboard? Plus, is it true that 1st gets 5k?

Mr_J 12-26-2005 01:13 AM

I'd only jump straight to the $22s if you are confident you are a decent player. By decent, I mean beat the $22s for a worthwhile amount. If you have no idea, stick to the $11s. I'm just saying that there isn't any reason to stay at the $11s for TLB type volume, since that'd mean staying there for thousands of sngs, which is a waste when you could've moved up.

[ QUOTE ]
So how many SNGs would it take to reach top of the leaderboard?

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is a piece of string?? Lower limits?? Thousands. As in 3k+.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, is it true that 1st gets 5k?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check for yourself

You can figure out how many tournies you need by estimating your ITM, and then using the calculator at the bottom of the page.

Sykes 12-26-2005 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd only jump straight to the $22s if you are confident you are a decent player. By decent, I mean beat the $22s for a worthwhile amount. If you have no idea, stick to the $11s. I'm just saying that there isn't any reason to stay at the $11s for TLB type volume, since that'd mean staying there for thousands of sngs, which is a waste when you could've moved up.

[ QUOTE ]
So how many SNGs would it take to reach top of the leaderboard?

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is a piece of string?? Lower limits?? Thousands. As in 3k+.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, is it true that 1st gets 5k?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check for yourself

You can figure out how many tournies you need by estimating your ITM, and then using the calculator at the bottom of the page.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I would need to play like 2K sngs at $11-22 to even reach 100th on the TLB.

ClockWyze 12-26-2005 01:28 AM

1000 +55's

if you were playing for a living you couldn't play less

Sykes 12-26-2005 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1000 +55's

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

I dunno. 30% ROI on the $11 over 1000 SNG isn't so bad.. I mean, there are families that live on less than $3000 a month, let alone a single guy.

Mr_J 12-26-2005 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1000 +55's

[/ QUOTE ]

What a silly thing to say.

Al P 12-26-2005 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1000 +55's

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

I dunno. 30% ROI on the $11 over 1000 SNG isn't so bad.. I mean, there are families that live on less than $3000 a month, let alone a single guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

$3000 a month is ok for someone young but not something to write home about if you're over 24.

FlyWf 12-26-2005 03:15 AM

Even if you're really sure you can beat the $22s and have the BR for it, what's the harm of playing a couple of hundred $11s? Work on your multi-tabling skills if not poker. If after 150 $11s you're beating them and (more importantly) you're confident that you are better than the competition, move up.

FlyWf 12-26-2005 03:24 AM

It's not a matter of whether it's something to "write home about", it's whether you could make a living off it. As many, many Americans make a living on less than $36k a year, it's clearly possible.
I doubt there are many $11 pros out there because after 500 30% ROI SNGs you might think about moving up, but it's possible. I'm sure a good multitabler with a lot of time and a mental block against moving up could make $5k in a month at the $11s(2272 20% ROI 11s, which is about 40 hours a week 10tabling). Is $5k "something to write home about"?

As to the OP's question, here's a simple forumla:
N=Monthly nut/(buyinxROI)
If you need $3000 a month to live, that's 1363 20% ROI $11s. Or it's 279 5% ROI $215s.

nthn2fancy 12-26-2005 04:10 AM

umm, no.

Al P 12-26-2005 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which is about 40 hours a week 10tabling).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's pretty realistic.

curtains 12-26-2005 05:09 AM

People work 8 hour per day jobs, why cant they do the same with poker?

FlyWf 12-26-2005 05:25 AM

That's pretty well missing my entire point to key on an aside. Nice work. It would be difficult but not impossible to make $5000 in one month playing only $11s. After 2200 SNGs in 30 days you'd probably want to kill yourself, but it could be done. Thankfully not everyone needs $5000 a month and the fine people at Party Poker have seen fit to provide SNGs with a buyin higher than $11.

The original guy claiming that you need to play >1000 >$55s to make a living was grossly incorrect. I imagine most pros only satisfy one of those conditions and it's entirely possible to make a living satisfying neither.

z32fanatic 12-26-2005 05:52 AM

If I were doing this for a living, I would probably only feel comfortable if I were doing 1500 $55s or 750+ $109s. I guess the total combined buyin per month is the determining factor. At least 75k buyins per month would be my minimum.

FlyWf 12-26-2005 06:13 AM

Dude, I dunno how it works where you live, but when I told the people at the electric company that I had totally wagered enough last month they still wanted their filthy lucre.

The determining factor for "Are you making a living?" is pretty freaking simple: Is (Funds made)-(Funds spent)>=$0? If you play 1500 $215s poorly you aren't making a living, if you live in Sierra Leone you can make a living playing a couple of dozen $6s.

BradleyT 12-26-2005 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The determining factor for "Are you making a living?" is pretty freaking simple: Is (Funds made)-(Funds spent)>=$0?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have horrible financial skills if you believe this.

Mr_J 12-26-2005 08:12 AM

Just because you need 6 figs to make a living doesn't mean everyone does.

A good $22er can make a pretty decent living. Say 20% ROI, 10k sngs a year, that's 50k with rakeback.

That's a low limit player working 20hrs a week, 10 months a year.