Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Bush administration takes a positive step (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=304267)

ACPlayer 07-31-2005 12:09 AM

Bush administration takes a positive step

As far as I know this has not been reported widely in the press. I think it is a good step.

White house to drop "war on terror"

The entire exercise should never have been called a war. It is not possible, IMO, to have a war against a concept or a tactic. It is only possible to fight against a political group or nation. The use of this term has encouraged some to consider this as a war against Islam as that is the only real political entity that is in common with the criminals. Clearly too, this is not a war against Islam.

The war on terror should correctly be categorized as part of normal (though spotlighted) criminal enforcement. I hope we can drop that expression from our lexicon. I hope the Bush administration follows up. I hope the Bush administration turns its attention to understanding the psychology of the terrorists rather than focussing on the tactics. Eventually there will be a political solution -- the sooner the better.

Matty 07-31-2005 12:12 AM

Re: Bush administration takes a positive step

This is good news. Now if only we could turn this light onto the war on drugs.

JoshuaD 07-31-2005 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if only we could turn this light onto the war on drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

DVaut1 07-31-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The entire exercise should never have been called a war. It is not possible, IMO, to have a war against a concept or a tactic.

[/ QUOTE ]

"We declared war on terror. We declared war on terror -- it's not even a noun, so, good luck. After we defeat it, I'm sure we'll take on that bastard ennui " - Jon Stewart

FishHooks 07-31-2005 04:35 AM

Well what would you call this "war on terror then?"

ptmusic 07-31-2005 04:49 AM

War on Al Queda; perhaps even more specific than that (i.e. war on Bin Laden's Al Queda). If Bush had called it that from the get-go, it would have focused our efforts, and we could have avoided costly mistakes.

-ptmusic

MMMMMM 07-31-2005 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well what would you call this "war on terror then?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"War against violent extremism" (most politically correct version) or "War against violent Islamic extremism" (most accurate version).

whiskeytown 07-31-2005 07:12 AM

the most positive step the Bush Administration could take right now is the first one out of the White House -

Democrats have been saying this for years...so have Military Strategists who point out that a war is unwinable without clear objectives.

rb

FishHooks 07-31-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
War on Al Queda

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone were fighting in this war on terror is part of Al Queda.

FishHooks 07-31-2005 12:30 PM

Yea calling this a war against violent islamic extremism would really isolate the islamic community, lets try to piss of the least amount of islamics as we can.