Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Online poker demographics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=57344)

dm34 12-14-2003 05:56 PM

Online poker demographics

Anyone have info on this? My friend keeps trying to tell me that most players (amount and money-wise) are college students, but I disagree.

Griffin 12-14-2003 06:31 PM

Re: Online poker demographics

I am interested in this too. I don't have an answer, but hope someone else does.

I also wonder how the demographics change as you move up in limits. I would think that the type of people playing 5/10 and higher are probably different from your typical 2/4 and lower limit players.

FWIW, I play limits between .5/1 and 2/4 and I'm a 37 year old, middle income, father of three.

Webster 12-14-2003 08:50 PM

Well - there are probebly a LOT of Students wasting mmmoney playing poorly (because of the WPT) but I'd say it runs the gamut! Probebly early 30's (I'm 50 and 2 friends of mine that play and win are 50's).

luckycharms 12-14-2003 09:10 PM

I just turned 18 two weeks ago [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].... but I read up and win (last 2 months: +512) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Roy Munson 12-14-2003 09:42 PM

40 year old married man.
BS University of Maryland Class of 85

JKratzer 12-14-2003 10:20 PM

I turned 21 yesterday, attend the U of Iowa, have been playing poker online since I was 18, and have never bought in on a site more than the once. I have three roommates, two of whom each are winning online poker players (the other doesn't play). I know many people at college that play poker, few play online.

From my own experience, I think most online players are not college students, although there are a decent number. Also, I think the students are on average better. I give more credit to someone I know is in college, their money means more to them and not many college students can keep throwing money away if they're not good. I play mainly 1/2 NLHE, 50 or 100 SNG's, and occasionally some various limit games.

Brian 12-15-2003 12:41 PM

19 year old high school drop-out.

-Brian

RustedCorpse 12-15-2003 12:53 PM

24 ex military college student. 1/2 3/6 tables usually on Paradise poker.
I have a question in regards to online play as well, has anyone noticed the players usually seem to be a little more competent? My home/club games seem to have a lot more of the "no flop" mentality going on then I encounter in online play, speaking for the most part.

Nottom 12-15-2003 01:08 PM

I think in general online plays a little tougher than the comparable live game. I think there are more players out just to have a good time and gamble live then there are online.

Nottom 12-15-2003 01:11 PM

27 year old semi-drop out of Virginia Tech. Married with a kid on the way. Been working as a computer tech for the past 6 years or so at a local company and have begun to attend class again as a Math major so I can follow in Mason's footsteps.