Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bloggers, Trolls, and the STTF (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390817)

Irieguy 12-03-2005 10:39 PM

Bloggers, Trolls, and the STTF

I just ran across a little article in Forbes while I was waiting to get my hair cut that explained how internet blogs are a legitimate threat to major corporations.

Basically, since any Tom, Dick, and/or Harry with so much as a dial-up can post a blog and start libeling at will... numerous corporations have taken significant hits at the hands of random haters or (much more commonly) dodgey competitors. Anti-blogging is actually a business now. You can hire somebody to surf the blogs and stay on top of the trash that is being talked about you... so that you have a chance to quickly respond with the truth or retaliate with your own attacks if you wish. Geesh.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a former 2+2er who is now a "famous" tournament player. I asked why he didn't post anymore and he said... "trolls."

I've since also had brief conversations with two other players whom I would consider to be in the top 20 tournament players in the world. One had only a few posts, and I asked him why. He said he tried to "break in" to the forum crowd, but the criticism was relentless. In his introduction thread he was severely criticized for certain hands he had played on TV. I don't mean fair criticism, either... a few folks were downright mean in a personal way. The other player used to be a ubiquitous poster and now almost never posts. Most assume it's because he's too busy, but it also has to do with the fact that any serious strategy post would instantly degenerate into a disgusting flame war between people attacking him and people defending him.

To some extent, this is just human nature and, you know... meh. But there is something to be said for promoting responsible posting (as SlackerMcFly calls it.)

The trolls won't go anywhere, in fact I'm sure they will dutifully reply to this. But the regulars can certainly lead by example and the moderators can do their part to continue a "zero tolerance" policy for trolls.

A fourth example may be when "DownWithFamousPoster" called out FamousPoster in a thread. He was pretty quickly banned and the post was deleted... but I haven't seen FamousPoster on the forum since. Not that DownWith... was the sole cause. There was plenty of trolling going on in the block thread anyhow.

Irieguy

PS: The difference between playful ribbing or inflammatory banter and trolling is really quite obvious. (Reference just about any SFB thread to see examples of all 3.) Though, I guess I don't expect this post-script to prevent this thread from deteriorating into an argument about whether or not I am a troll.

bones 12-03-2005 10:59 PM

Re: Bloggers, Trolls, and the STTF

[ QUOTE ]
Though, I guess I don't expect this post-script to prevent this thread from deteriorating into an argument about whether or not I am a troll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you're an anti-Negreanu troll.

12-03-2005 11:01 PM

BOO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Scuba Chuck 12-03-2005 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BOO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cripes, could SFB be anymore obvious? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Scuba Chuck 12-03-2005 11:03 PM

A good troll would put names to the faces to whom you're speaking of. FWIW, whatever troll school you went to, I would guess you went down in flames!

12-03-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just ran across a little article in Forbes while I was waiting to get my hair cut that explained how internet blogs are a legitimate threat to major corporations.

Basically, since any Tom, Dick, and/or Harry with so much as a dial-up can post a blog and start libeling at will... numerous corporations have taken significant hits at the hands of random haters or (much more commonly) dodgey competitors. Anti-blogging is actually a business now. You can hire somebody to surf the blogs and stay on top of the trash that is being talked about you... so that you have a chance to quickly respond with the truth or retaliate with your own attacks if you wish. Geesh.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a former 2+2er who is now a "famous" tournament player. I asked why he didn't post anymore and he said... "trolls."

I've since also had brief conversations with two other players whom I would consider to be in the top 20 tournament players in the world. One had only a few posts, and I asked him why. He said he tried to "break in" to the forum crowd, but the criticism was relentless. In his introduction thread he was severely criticized for certain hands he had played on TV. I don't mean fair criticism, either... a few folks were downright mean in a personal way. The other player used to be a ubiquitous poster and now almost never posts. Most assume it's because he's too busy, but it also has to do with the fact that any serious strategy post would instantly degenerate into a disgusting flame war between people attacking him and people defending him.

To some extent, this is just human nature and, you know... meh. But there is something to be said for promoting responsible posting (as SlackerMcFly calls it.)

The trolls won't go anywhere, in fact I'm sure they will dutifully reply to this. But the regulars can certainly lead by example and the moderators can do their part to continue a "zero tolerance" policy for trolls.

A fourth example may be when "DownWithFamousPoster" called out FamousPoster in a thread. He was pretty quickly banned and the post was deleted... but I haven't seen FamousPoster on the forum since. Not that DownWith... was the sole cause. There was plenty of trolling going on in the block thread anyhow.

Irieguy

PS: The difference between playful ribbing or inflammatory banter and trolling is really quite obvious. (Reference just about any SFB thread to see examples of all 3.) Though, I guess I don't expect this post-script to prevent this thread from deteriorating into an argument about whether or not I am a troll.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your "Negreanu should read the STTFs" thread should have been immediately locked as soon as it popped up?

bones 12-03-2005 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So your "Negreanu should read the STTFs" thread should have been immediately locked as soon as it popped up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning skills are so sharp, I'm shocked that you aren't crushing the 800 chip games. What gives?

12-03-2005 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning skills are so sharp, I'm shocked that you aren't crushing the 800 chip games. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Experience. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SuitedSixes 12-03-2005 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Less posting. More playing.

Freudian 12-03-2005 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Less posting. More playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less non thinking. More thinking.

12-04-2005 12:04 AM

There have been a LOT of OT posts lateley in STTF. I'm a fairly new member to 2+2 so maybe its the norm. But up until very recently the front page (mine is set to 25 topics) was always full of good questions, analysis, strategy, etc. Even the "easy" questions by us noobs were explained to us why they were considered an easy situation, which is why I'm here...to learn.

Now, I'm fully aware that alot of the respected posters here have made friends with other posters and use this forum as a form of communication amongst them. That seems perfectly acceptable. However, lately my front page seems to have 4-5 OT posts pushing the strategy posts back.

I'll admit to having a little fun with the recent OT post about the bands...I guess that just makes me as guilty as the rest. But I think there is another place for that.

My 2 cents.

REL18 12-04-2005 12:38 AM

Hopefully u never gain that experience dbach would be crime to poker humanity, dbach is just one of those guys that wants u to do his homework for him and give u nothing in return but a duh u gunna give it to me shame on anybody that sends u hh's

runner4life7 12-04-2005 01:29 AM

i will say two things,

i am drunk but can still type and think clearly

this makes me want tostop making any meaningless posts unless in OOT or the bad beat forum because the top poster's who I wont name because i dont want to miss anyone have helped me so much. When i read a post about a hand think about what I would do and read a top poster so the same thing I thought my confidence would rise which helped me play better. So thanks to irieguy and the many other regulars, please dont let trolls change how often you post, because honestly, f*** them.

GtrHtr 12-04-2005 02:13 AM

I wrote out a long answer and then deleted it. Bottom line is that a fair % of interesting, thoughtful SNG posts have recently returned to the forum. That contibutes equally to the social aspect of the forum which, as a member of the "4000" I truly enjoy.

12-04-2005 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i will say two things,

i am drunk but can still type and think clearly

this makes me want tostop making any meaningless posts unless in OOT or the bad beat forum because the top poster's who I wont name because i dont want to miss anyone have helped me so much. When i read a post about a hand think about what I would do and read a top poster so the same thing I thought my confidence would rise which helped me play better. So thanks to irieguy and the many other regulars, please dont let trolls change how often you post, because honestly, f*** them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way that trolls can make good players and regulars stop posting here, so can arrogant, know-it-all good players and regulars make newbies not want to post here. You can't sit here and say Irieguy or The Yugoslavian can get away with it because he has tenure and has valubale posts whereas a troll who doesn't contribute anything worthwhile cannot also. This is exactly what I eluded to in The Yugoslavian's "Should Yugo go" thread. If you let this kind of thing slide, it's pure hypocrisy and favoritcism being shown and practiced. I'd rather deal with a great person and player who can help me improve than someone who is a foul person with equal greatness in play who can help me improve.

zipppy 12-04-2005 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather deal with a great person and player who can help me improve than someone who is a foul person with equal greatness in play who can help me improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather deal with both.

12-04-2005 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather deal with a great person and player who can help me improve than someone who is a foul person with equal greatness in play who can help me improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather deal with both.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a bigger person than me.

HighestCard 12-04-2005 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a bigger person than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is saying you should look at the good things the posters have to offer to the forum and try to ignore the bad. If you can't ignore the bad you simply need to keep to yourself about it and let the moderators deal with it.

People need to stop taking things so personally on an impersonal means of expression, aka the internet. They get too emotionally involved and stubborn with their opinions, which blocks them from getting any good from a useful post.

HC

12-04-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is saying you should look at the good things the posters have to offer to the forum and try to ignore the bad. If you can't ignore the bad you simply need to keep to yourself about it and let the moderators deal with it.

People need to stop taking things so personally on an impersonal means of expression, aka the internet. They get too emotionally involved and stubborn with their opinions, which blocks them from getting any good from a useful post.

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a clip on TV about this white, millionaire, who by all accounts was a successful businessman and great human being. He provided jobs to others and he was a model citizen living in the suburbs. Problem was, he was committing all types of sexual abuse against young women in the basement of his home for years. Are we to ignore the bad because he provided jobs to the community and was a financial success? If we are to ignore the bad in this forum, then there would be no need to moderate and police it. Every argument I'm hearing to the contrary is supporting hypocrisy and favoriticism. This has nothing to do with whther he hurt my feelings or whether I'm taking it too personal. Wrong is wrong, there are no grounds or arguments to sugarcoating it.

zipppy 12-04-2005 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a clip on TV about this white, millionaire, who by all accounts was a successful businessman and great human being. He provided jobs to others and he was a model citizen living in the suburbs. Problem was, he was committing all types of sexual abuse against young women in the basement of his home for years. Are we to ignore the bad because he provided jobs to the community and was a financial success? If we are to ignore the bad in this forum, then there would be no need to moderate and police it. Every argument I'm hearing to the contrary is supporting hypocrisy and favoriticism. This has nothing to do with whther he hurt my feelings or whether I'm taking it too personal. Wrong is wrong, there are no grounds or arguments to sugarcoating it.

[/ QUOTE ]

as if we know what you think yugo said that was wrong.

If someone did something truly bannable, the mods will deal with it. If you don't like the way moderators moderate on a site, it truly isn't the site for you.

bawcerelli 12-04-2005 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you hear that yugo? no more basement rapings.

zipppy 12-04-2005 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you hear that irie? no more basement rapings.

[/ QUOTE ]

you hear that raptor? no more getting raped in the basement.

bawcerelli 12-04-2005 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i can't figure out who dbach thinks is the child raper

you hear that raptor? no more getting raped in the basement.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-04-2005 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as if we know what you think yugo said that was wrong.

If someone did something truly bannable, the mods will deal with it. If you don't like the way moderators moderate on a site, it truly isn't the site for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done nothing to The Yugoslavian to deserve being called that. If you don't think so, that's on you. I never got so out of line in that thread to even warrant such a response.

zipppy 12-04-2005 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i can't figure out dbach

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp...me either

12-04-2005 03:30 AM

You're hijacking another thread with your [censored] nonsense? Jesus, man. Stop it.

Everyone's aware that you think Yugo wronged you. Posting about it in every thread you can find isn't gonna change anything in your favor. All it does is piss the rest of us - who find Irie's posts quite intriguing - off.

Stop it.

12-04-2005 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i can't figure out dbach

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp...me either

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's best that you don't try.

mlagoo 12-04-2005 03:31 AM

jesus just shut up

durron597 12-04-2005 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jesus just shut up

[/ QUOTE ]

12-04-2005 05:20 AM

no means yes

pergesu 12-04-2005 05:31 AM

The good posters DO do their part in making quality posts and making this place a daily (or 2340985723495 times daily) stop for a lot of this.

It's the gay people who make gay posts that mess it up. I hate sifting through 2138947 [censored] threads before there's one worth replying to. Then when there is a decent thread, there are four or five responses before someone derails it and it turns into a contest of who can post the most retarded picture of random people holding what unverifiably are alcoholic bevarages.

That's why I'm not posting anymore. You say that the trolls will always be around...but I'll do my part here. When the gay people stop being gay, I'll stop being bitter and start posting again. In the mean time I'll just continue to have dynamite discussions with my tru niggas.

Congrats to Yugo for getting me hooked on Heineken.

Jman28 12-04-2005 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no means yes

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent gimmick account. Mostly because one who rapes is usually referred to as a rapist not a 'raper', which has a much better comic effect.

12-04-2005 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The good posters DO do their part in making quality posts and making this place a daily (or 2340985723495 times daily) stop for a lot of this.

It's the gay people who make gay posts that mess it up. I hate sifting through 2138947 [censored] threads before there's one worth replying to. Then when there is a decent thread, there are four or five responses before someone derails it and it turns into a contest of who can post the most retarded picture of random people holding what unverifiably are alcoholic bevarages.

That's why I'm not posting anymore. You say that the trolls will always be around...but I'll do my part here. When the gay people stop being gay, I'll stop being bitter and start posting again. In the mean time I'll just continue to have dynamite discussions with my tru niggas.

Congrats to Yugo for getting me hooked on Heineken.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to the $22 and $33s HH thread, the picture had nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread. I didn't initially make the thread deteriorate, it's the posters who came in talking about 40s and malt liquor forum, etc and whether or not players would send me HHs or take me serious. I'm guessing you either missed that or disregarded it like so many others have.

Irie guy admitted to making a dumb comment in a useless thread about Daniel Negreanu failing to use the term "blocking bet". Yet, when you speak of gay people messing up threads that you have to filter through, somehow I take it that you're weren't including him. Is that the type of dynamite discussions you're talikng about discussing with your true nuuuhhhs?

Jman28 12-04-2005 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Irie guy admitted to making a dumb comment in a useless thread about Daniel Negreanu failing to use the term "blocking bet". Yet, when you speak of gay people messing up threads that you have to filter through, somehow I take it that you're weren't including him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy isn't gay. I'm offended. I think this is grounds for a banning.

rbear 12-04-2005 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Irie guy admitted to making a dumb comment in a useless thread about Daniel Negreanu failing to use the term "blocking bet". Yet, when you speak of gay people messing up threads that you have to filter through, somehow I take it that you're weren't including him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha I second this.

12-04-2005 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A clear example of deterioration in a thread I'm assuming was meant to address it in some shape or form and get rid of it.

psyduck 12-04-2005 05:57 AM

I don't understand why this idiot DBACH still isn't banned. I mean, every single person in every single thread that he's replied in wants him banned. Where da modz at??/

Jman28 12-04-2005 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A clear example of deterioration in a thread I'm assuming was meant to address it in some shape or form and get rid of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are all bitches.

12-04-2005 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why this idiot DBACH still isn't banned. I mean, every single person in every single thread that he's replied in wants him banned. Where da modz at??/

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already spoken with durron597. There is no reason to ban me. I haven't gotten out of line, I haven't called anyone names, nor have I offended anyone. It has all been done to me and it has been made abundantly clear that nothing will be done about it.

Jman28 12-04-2005 06:08 AM

On a serious note, this kind of thing has come up before. It seems that a lot of the best posters here have much more leeway that brand new ones because they have earned it. I felt it was unfair at first too, but it's just like any group of people anywhere in life. The ones who have been involved longer and have proven themselves earned their status. They've earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to dumb/bad posts or whatever.

Accept it, because the money that some of these guys make, they are really giving gifts away by contributing to this forum. Keep them happy, for your own personal benefit and for everyone elses who frequents this board.