Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Big Lebowski (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=152167)

nolanfan34 11-22-2004 12:42 PM

The Big Lebowski

Finally saw it for the first time this weekend. I don't see what the hype is about. People like it enough that there can be a favorite quotes thread on here?

It was OK, but nothing special IMO. I probably just didn't "get it".

Let the flaming begin.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 12:43 PM

Re: The Big Lebowski

I am the same way.

riverboatking 11-22-2004 12:47 PM

one of the greatest films of all time.
and the clincher is that John Goodman is right in the end.
so classic, if you didn't get it i am truly sorry for you.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 12:51 PM

what is there to "get"? This isn't some extremely clever film, I think if you like the humor, you'll like the film, if not, you won't like it.

namknils 11-22-2004 12:54 PM

Hmm...I haven't seen this movie yet, and I actually went to rent it on Friday night but my movie store didn't have it. I thought "what the heck, I thought this movie was awesome, why wouldn't they have it?"

nicky g 11-22-2004 01:03 PM

Me too. In fact I am usually overwhelmingly negative about it but that's probably just a reaction to people raving maniacally about it. Truly over-rated.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 01:04 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
we agree on something [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

nicky g 11-22-2004 01:06 PM

Wait a minute... I just re-watched it in the space of three seconds and now realise it's unquestionably the greatest work of art in any format of all time... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 01:08 PM

it is an amazingly average piece of film.

nicky g 11-22-2004 01:09 PM

I know.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:20 PM

Top 10 Movie of "our" generation. (18 -34) yr olds.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:22 PM

What "type" of humor is it? This is not a knock, but if you think this is just an "average" movie, you definitely do not "get it".

PhatTBoll 11-22-2004 01:25 PM

This movie sits with Scarface at the top of the pantheon of laughably overrated films.

nicky g 11-22-2004 01:26 PM

Adolescent "wacky" humour, IMO.

nolanfan34 11-22-2004 01:27 PM

What is there to get? The movie certainly had some funny parts, but I don't think it was really making a compelling or interesting point, per se.

Reminded me of English classes in high school or college, where people extracted "meaning" out of random situations and themes, because they really wanted to find something deep in the book, story, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I didn't like the movie, I thought it was good, but top-10, give me a break.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What "type" of humor is it? This is not a knock, but if you think this is just an "average" movie, you definitely do not "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]
ah thanks, you are right, I guess I don't "get" how stupid jokes are funny [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:38 PM

Top 10 may be exaggerating, but it is one of my favorites.

I'll try to write something more to explain where I am coming from, but I am at work..

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:41 PM

So I take it you are more of a RushHour fan, rather then Super Troopers.

To each his own...

If the bigL is not a brilliant comedy, please let me know what you consider to be?

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 01:43 PM

Super Troopers is funny, but thats because it actually has funny jokes. Big L is just sort of stupid, I don't hate the movie, I just don't get the intense pleasure some people have gotten out of watching it, seriously, its not that funny.

God, I am waiting for The Dude to come in here and flame all of us.

AngryCola 11-22-2004 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ah thanks, you are right, I guess I don't "get" how stupid jokes are funny

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie isn't top 10 material, but it does have a lot of funny moments. The whole bowling dance number was possibly one of the weirder things that I have ever seen in a movie.

I hope nobody thinks Monty Python movies/shows/jokes are stupid. I might have to "throw down" if anyone goes down that road. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT- Super Troopers is funny, also. The writing for that movie was surprisingly good. I was shocked at how well at was written, the first time I saw it. I had written it off, and never intended to watch it. Thankfully, a friend of mine insisted that I see this movie.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:48 PM

Yeah, you just don't like that type of humor I guess. Can't really explain to you. I also take it that me and you think Super Troopers is funny for completely different reasons.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:49 PM

Agreed with SP. Looked so stupid. Brilliant movie. "AfghanistanimatioN!"

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also take it that me and you think Super Troopers is funny for completely different reasons.

[/ QUOTE ] ummmm.... I liked it because it was funny. What other reason is there to like the film.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:52 PM

The Big Lebowski - Things to Get

Check out the Reviews on IMDB, usually good stuff there. Here is the most overtly "Deep" review. Theres a ton more on there that explain the movie, and a bunch from people, who didn't recognize how special it was until their third or fourth viewing.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a travesty that most critics only read The Big Lebowski at its most superficial level and called it a modern take on a Raymond Chandler potboiler. I simply can't begin to perceive how one could sit down in front of this cinematic pop-poetry, as it plates gold on the silver screen, and not feel so incredibly alive. The dream sequence Busbee Berkley musical numbers are unique and awe-inspiring; the humor is rich, subtle, and clever in the way it satirizes politically correct arrogance; the free-flowing story avoids (even pokes fun at) nonessentials like plot points and pay-offs. But what really makes this film such a masterpiece, such a panacea, is the incredible humanism, the care that the Coen brothers put in developing The Dude (Jeff Bridges), Walter (John Goodman), Donnie (Steve Buscemi-tremendously endearing), and Brandt (magnificently played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman). Looking at the films use of Sam Elliott to play The Stranger, who constantly rambles about the many wonders of The Dude (among other things), it is clear that the film is an ode to a Dudist way of life. And in a time where so many film promise that they have the answer to the worlds problems and end up as slick, stylistic show-off films, what more could one ask for than a good-hearted film like this? Not to mention the performance by Jeff Bridges, which ranks among the best performances of the nineties; he has a relaxed slouch, a goofy smile, an enthusiastic dance, and his buttons can only be pushed by Walter, who John Goodman plays with charm and fury. The Coen brothers have always been considered 'cold' filmmakers, but there is nothing here but warmth and humanity (as is the case with the Coens' Fargo). What we have here is one of the greatest achievements in modern cinema and if you can't see that, grab a White Russian, hit the bowling ally, and find your inner-Dude as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigL User Comments

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 01:55 PM

Re: The Big Lebowski - Things to Get

so what you and that review are saying is that if you think the film is stupid then its probably because you are to stupid to realize how un-stupid the film is, right?

The once and future king 11-22-2004 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cinematic pop-poetry

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading right there.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 01:59 PM

Yeah it's pretentious as hell...but a decent explanation.

andyfox 11-22-2004 02:00 PM

I didn't care for it either, maybe I'm too old (51). My daughter loved it. I like the Coen Brothers: loved Fargo and the Hudsucker Proxy in particular.

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 02:00 PM

Theres different levels of humor. There's a reason why there's an audience for things like Friends and BBC's The Office, both are funny, but in completely different contexts.

Sarge85 11-22-2004 02:01 PM

Bring Poker and The Big Lebowski together and you get this:

http://cardsspeak.servebeer.com/arch..._the_dude.html

Enjoy - I found it somewhat entertaining.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

IndieMatty 11-22-2004 02:04 PM

I'm not calling you stupid. But there is such a thing as "Intelligent Humor", where your average Jay Leno viewer will not be able to "get it", and yes that is because they are slightly less intelligent.

nolanfan34 11-22-2004 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't care for it either, maybe I'm too old (51). My daughter loved it. I like the Coen Brothers: loved Fargo and the Hudsucker Proxy in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also liked Fargo. I really liked O Brother Where Art Thou. I think the hype on this one just built it up too much for me.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 02:09 PM

intelligent humor is an oxymoron

nolanfan34 11-22-2004 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres different levels of humor. There's a reason why there's an audience for things like Friends and BBC's The Office, both are funny, but in completely different contexts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Friends is not really funny. The Office is outstanding. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I get your point on the whole thing Indie, and I sort of agree with you. In the end, the view of the movie probably depends a lot on what age and situation you're in when you see it. If I had seen it when it was first released, right when I was out of college and just starting work, maybe I would have connected with it more. But now that I've been working in the "real world" for as long as I have, I don't see the lifestyle of The Dude as a glamourous one that I'd want to emulate.

The once and future king 11-22-2004 02:15 PM

Of course it isnt.

Are you suggesting that all humour has to be stupid.

Intelligent stupidity is an oxymoron but humour can be catagorised in many ways.

Agree about the film, but not this comment.

spamuell 11-22-2004 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
intelligent humor is an oxymoron

[/ QUOTE ]

That is retarded.

Unless you were being cleverly ironic and therefore being humourous while at the same time self-deprecating. In which case, bravo TSC, bravo.

jakethebake 11-22-2004 02:28 PM

The Big Lebowski = Dumbest Movie of All Time

Not even the best Jeff Bridges movie and I can't stand Jeff Bridges.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that all humour has to be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ] no, I am suggesting that "intelligent" humor is bull [censored]. People assume that if you don't laugh at an "intelligent" joke its because you are to stupid to "get" it, which is bull [censored]. The person probably isn't laughing because they didn't find it funny. There is this sort of pompous attitude when it comes to humor, that if you don't like the witty, "intelligent" humor of say Rushmore its because you probably like the "dumb-downed" humor of Dumb and Dumber .

Personally, I find Jeff Daniels explosive diarreah funnier than Bridges quirkiness, which I think apparently means I am stupid.

The once and future king 11-22-2004 02:37 PM

Saying Inteligent humour is an oxymoron is different to saying it is bullshit.

Actualy what I think you are saying is that intligent humour is fine but peoples pompous attitudes about it are bullshit.

I dont have this problem because I am extremely inteligent and get and laugh at all intelligent humour which perhaps goes over the head of your average semi literate peasant.

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2004 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actualy what I think you are saying is that intligent humour is fine but peoples pompous attitudes about it are bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats probably what I meant.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont have this problem because I am extremely inteligent and get and laugh at all intelligent humour which perhaps goes over the head of your average semi literate peasant.

[/ QUOTE ] LMAO