Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   who takes the free card? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=73902)

DiamondDave 03-16-2004 03:53 AM

who takes the free card?

B&M 6/12, full table. I've been seated for three orbits. The game is loose, but not exactly a goldmine.

When this hand was dealt, I had not yet put in a chip voluntarily. (I caught some flak for folding for one chip in the SB. But then but the BB raised his aces, bet the whole way, won a really big pot with the complainer losing the most.)

I'm in the CO with 44. Two limpers to me. I call, planning to check-n-fold unless I flop a set (or if the flop is ragged and everyone checks to me). The button folds. The SB completes. The BB raises. We all call.

The BB has raised out of position once while I have been on the table. He had a face pair, but called to the end with an ace on board.

The 2nd limper used to be a prop. Hs is tricky, plays very badly before the flop, but has seen seven billion multiway flops and has a lot of experience playing trash hands against tight young guys who raise a lot.

The flop is 246 with two clubs. The raiser bets, 1st limper folds, 2nd limper raises, I three-bet, SB folds, raiser calls, 2nd limper caps, we call.

At this point it's obvious that the preflop raiser has a pair between JJ and AA but isn't happy with his hand + position combo. He thinks the flop hit at least one of us hard, doesn't know how, and isn't folding.

I don't like the cap bet by the 2nd limper. He isn't afraid of the preflop raiser, so it doesn't look like a medium overpair. Nut flush draw? Flush draw/pair combo draw? Trips? Made straight? Two pair?

The turn is the jack of clubs, completing the flush. They both check to me.

Your play.

SpaceAce 03-16-2004 06:19 AM

Re: who takes the free card?

You don't take a free card when you have a made monster. Bet that puppy and call a raise.

SpaceAce

Joe Tall 03-16-2004 08:24 AM

Looks like the 2nd limper has 77 or 88 and the PFR could have TT or woke up to your flop raise and is laying off his overpair. NO WAY you should take a card here as you are the favorite. Bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall

novamob 03-16-2004 10:14 AM

I think you have to bet as you probably have the best hand. If you didn't, you would have heard about it when the turn hit (or if you get c/r'd). If he is on the nut flush draw (or made it), he has as many outs to hit it as you do to fill up.

josie_wales 03-16-2004 10:26 AM

Monster?

Middle set with a flush on the board?

Not that he shouldnt bet it....Just not because its a monster

JW

Schmed 03-16-2004 10:39 AM

I bet, call a raise, check call the river unless another club hits.

DiamondDave 03-16-2004 04:23 PM

who goes back for more?

I agree with Josie "The Outlaw" Wales. A set shouldn't be played like the nuts with a flush on board.

I checked. I sometimes bet in that spot, but the guy who capped the flop loves to checkraise and knows I'm really aggressive.

The river paired the jack on board. PFR checked, 2nd limper bet. I raised, PFR folded, 2nd limper 3-bet.

Your play.

MaxPower 03-16-2004 04:36 PM

Re: who goes back for more?

You are not taking a free card, you are giving a free card. That's not good. If the 4th suited card comes on the river you will be kicking yourself. Not to mention the other free cards that can hurt you here.

Bet and call a raise on the turn.

MaxPower 03-16-2004 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Josie "The Outlaw" Wales. A set shouldn't be played like the nuts with a flush on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you need the nuts to bet the turn?

Schmed 03-16-2004 04:38 PM

I would have bet out the turn like I said. If raised I call. The jack hits I C/R and call a 3 bet.

If I checked the turn I would bet/raise any on the river. At 4 bets I would call.