Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   yet another Tunica trip report (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=261887)

tylerdurden 05-30-2005 01:36 AM

yet another Tunica trip report

I'm in Memphis visiting the folks for the weekend, and I had a few hours free today, so I snuck down to Tunica for a few hours.

Traffic is surprisingly light. Arrived at the Grand around 1:00. Two tables of 7.5/15, three or four 4/8 tables, and a 2-10 stud game running. I get seating at the must-move pink chip table within about five minutes. As another poster noted, the Grand is only raking max $2/hand on the pink chip game this weekend, and someone pointed out that this was likely to attract rocks and nits, but I didn't see any.

First hand, I get AT in the cutoff, flop KQx, and I catch the J on the turn. I don't think I played another hand outside of the blinds until the game broke at 2:00 when the 80+20 tournament started. Enough people dropped out of the main game that I got a seat over there within about ten minutes.

After a few people busted out of the tourney they got a 2/5 NL game going (buyin capped at $500), and a few more 4/8 games, but a second 7.5/15 game never got going.

Grand is running a promotion this month, any quads or better gets $50 (both cards have to play). Two guys flop quads within three hands of each other, and a third guy hits quads (three of his rank on board) a couple of hands later, but his kicker didn't play.

I'm up and down all day, never really getting a sustained run of good cards. Some WPT-wannabe punk wearing a soviet hockey jersey limp-reraises me while we're shorthanded. He busts out about thirty minutes later. Commie. There's a fat guy in the 1 seat who's playing literally any two cards, and getting hit in the face with the deck. He's cold-calling PF raises with junk, any ace, any two suited, etc, and rivering straights, flushes and boats like there's no tomorrow. He stacks up a mountain of chips but dumps most of his profit before finally leaving. Unfortunately I couldn't catch anything while he was in distribution mode.

I'm down about $100 or so when I pick up AA UTG+2. UTG+1 raises, and I'm slightly reluctant to raise right behind him - there are tons of people that will cold call two bets but three bets generally runs everyone off. My inner Sklansky tells me to reraise, but I coldcall. MP1 makes it three, fatboy in MP2 coldcalls three bets, and the button calls three. UTG+1 calls, I reraise to four bets, MP1 caps, EVERYBODY calls. That's right, I get five-way capped action for my AA. 25 small bets, and I'm about to spooge in my pants.

Flop comes 973 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, button folds, UTG+1 calls, I three-bet, MP1 four-bets, MP2 folds, UTG+1 calls, I cap, all call. Three players. 22.5 big bets.

Turn is a blank. UTG+1 checks, I bet, MP1 raises, UTG+1 folds, I raise, MP1 raises all in for 1 chip more. I call, I'm expecting to chop, but he flips over JJ. River pairs the 3, MHIG.

The rest of the day is largely uneventful for me. I wolf down a couple of hotdogs, and they're much better than I remember. I finally pack it in around 7:00, up a good bit but down significantly from my high point for the day, and make it back to Memphis just before dark.

MicroBob 05-30-2005 02:13 AM

Re: yet another Tunica trip report

nice report.
i too found the hot-dogs to be better than I remembered from before.

unfortunately the $2-rake promotion is for weekends in May only...so that has officially ended.
They run something different every month so I guess I'll see what they have going for June if I make it down there.

Your AA story reminds me of an AA hand I had at the GS a couple years ago when I was barely getting my feet wet in live play.

3/6 or 4/8
AA on the button....it's capped 7 ways PF I think.
Golly.
Flop is KKQ.
Crap. It's one or two bets to me when it comes around I think so I call on the off-chance that my AA is still good PLUS my drawing chances (I'm not exactly adept at TAG 2+2 play at this point in my career but I try).

Turn is a Q making the board KKQQ and I know I'm sunk.
2 other guys left in the hand and they bet and raise...and the other guy is already set to re-raise.
For one bet I'm getting odds just to draw to my likely 2-outer. But this looks like it's going to be 4 bets so I have to make a good fold with my AA.

River is an A and I feel tears of dispair (I wasn't too rich at the time).

K2o and KJ split the pot.

JTrout 05-30-2005 02:26 AM

nice report.
Wish that pink chip would catch on at G.S./H.S.

d10 05-30-2005 02:44 AM

I think I'm the only 2+2er within 500 miles of Tunica that wasn't there this weekend.

steamboatin 05-30-2005 03:49 AM

I'm just under 500 miles away but I wanted to go, but turns out it was +EV staying close to home.

Randy_Refeld 05-30-2005 04:49 AM

I wasnt' there and I live 20 miles away.

tylerdurden 05-30-2005 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unfortunately the $2-rake promotion is for weekends in May only...so that has officially ended.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the dealers said he thought they were going to do a $2 rake on the 10/20 game for June. That seems like a waste to me since the 10/20 doesn't go that often. They didn't even have an interest list for it when I left last night at 7:00, and the room was nearly full. All of the tables except a couple of the ones in the back room were running.

One other thing... they had a 80+20 tournament at 2:00, capped at 50 entries, and it was already sold out when I got there at 1:00. Anyway, is that a pretty standard entry fee for a live tourney of that size? Seems kinda steep to me. They paid nine or ten places IIRC, which seems like way too many for a 50-person tournament.

Chipr777 05-30-2005 09:25 AM

I've brought it up in our shift mgrs meetings and they think It'll take away from the 10-20, so it's not going to happen.

JTrout 05-30-2005 10:56 AM

G.S. should spread it instead of their 10-20. Then maybe they could also have 15-30 when their is interest.

Wouldn't it be advantageous for both G.S. and H.S. to spread slightly different games?

wray 05-30-2005 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm the only 2+2er within 500 miles of Tunica that wasn't there this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I didn't go either.

I'm thinking about going this afternoon though.