Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Do most pros adopt a get rich quick or die approach? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381934)

11-20-2005 03:49 AM

Do most pros adopt a get rich quick or die approach?

I'm just curious as to whether most pros adopt a tournament strategy style of playing super aggressive to either accumulate chips quickly or bust out.

According to Barry Greinstein's website, Phil Ivey uses suchu a strategy to either win big in tournaments, or get out and play in the big cash games.

However, since variance and luck plays such a huge role in today's overly-populated tournaments, perhaps a quick chip accumulation approach in order to put yourself in position to play aggressively and win the tournament is better than slow, solid play.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Keep in mind that this is referring to wealthy pros, where a $10,000 buy in is spare change. They don't care about losing the money, as opposed to an amateur just turned pro, who needs to make the money or he'll die of starvation.

whiskeytown 11-20-2005 03:55 AM

Re: Do most pros adopt a get rich quick or die approach?

When I watched John Juanda - all I noticed about his play at my Full Tilt Table was the first hr, he never committed all in, and he never limped or called preflop.

He played an average number of hands for the first hr. but note that he RAISED every one - I never saw a single limp/call -

RB

RDWallace 11-20-2005 08:57 AM

id rather die like a man than live like a coward.

betgo 11-20-2005 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I watched John Juanda - all I noticed about his play at my Full Tilt Table was the first hr, he never committed all in, and he never limped or called preflop.

He played an average number of hands for the first hr. but note that he RAISED every one - I never saw a single limp/call -

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish limp and call way too much. They also go allin and commit large chunks of their stacks too much with deep money.

Usually, a player stronger than the others at the table will limp in and call with position so as to get into hands with weaker players. In the first hour, the money is deep and there is a lot of limping, so limping behind with speculative hands is usually good.

I would expect Juanda to limp and call less than most of the table. However, I don't think never limping or calling is how most pros would play the first hour, and I am not sure if that is good play.

11-20-2005 11:19 AM

its hard to say about the never limping in the first hr.
the one thing it does it allows you to play bigger pots heads up which is not bad. as for winning the blinds it does not really much matter at this point so i dont limping preflop is so bad.

Bosox 11-20-2005 12:36 PM

Limping pre is where you win big unraised pots off donks or amateurs with sooted connectors or sets. It's almost essential in the early stages of a tournament for chipping up purposes.

tek 11-20-2005 02:38 PM

In the middle and later stages winning big or going out big seems to be a winning strategy. At least for Stu Ungar and he had a great >$5k tourny win rate...

11-20-2005 03:13 PM

alot of good very aggressive players still raise the pot even when the blinds are low. i dont really see what it accomplishes but i suppose the donks are going to call them anyway so maybe they see it as growing the pot.

betgo 11-20-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alot of good very aggressive players still raise the pot even when the blinds are low. i dont really see what it accomplishes but i suppose the donks are going to call them anyway so maybe they see it as growing the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You definately want to raise with strong hands and position even if you don't knock people out. I would think that strong players would also limp sometimes if a lot of limping is going on.

Bartman387 11-20-2005 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

According to Barry Greinstein's website, Phil Ivey uses suchu a strategy to either win big in tournaments, or get out and play in the big cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil also did this because he said he got too bored and impatient at tourneys and stopped caring. He has since shifted away from this and worked on being more patient and waiting out the early stages.