Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Kem cards worn out? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382615)

JTrout 11-21-2005 12:33 PM

Kem cards worn out?

The Kem cards at a home game I frequent are all bet (concaved?) from constant shuffling.

This causes many misdeals as air easily flips them over when dealt. Also, makes flashing a dealt card more likely.

When I've tried to bend them the opposite way, to straighten them out, they snap into the opposite (convex?) shape. A "click" is audible when they do it.

Are these cards ruined? worn out? broke backed? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Is there anything that can improve these cards, or is it terminal?

We have an order for some new setups, but it seems a pity to just chunk these babies without some sort of life-saving effort.

Microwave, maybe? Hairdryer?
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

11-21-2005 01:05 PM

Re: Kem cards worn out?

You could always try buying a new deck [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

JTrout 11-21-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could always try buying a new deck [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

read much?

11-21-2005 06:30 PM

Don't put them in a microwave or use a hair dryer. I'd stack 2 or 3 real heavy books on top of the cards for a few days and see if that gives them the proper shape.

Lottery Larry 11-21-2005 06:33 PM

The fact that they are "snapping" into convex/concave shapes would concern me- I've never seen that with mine.

Normally I'd say flip the cards so they curve outwards, then put them between heavy weights to flatten them (in small piles)... but for these it sounds as if replacing them is safest.

11-21-2005 11:59 PM

I've seen it happen a few times to kems. They're pretty much done.

11-22-2005 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Like I said.

FouTight 11-22-2005 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Like I said.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't at all like what you said.

11-22-2005 11:49 AM

Try Copags.

JTrout 11-22-2005 01:16 PM

this home game group is very tough on cards.

2 setups of Kems
4 setups of Copags

the Kems are older than the copags, but probably haven't been used as much...
...and the Copags are holding up better.

Small sample size.

I've put the Kem cards under the phone book, then 50lbs. weights on top of phone book....

Cards flattened out well, but once shuffled they either *click* into convex or concave shape. oh well...

Putting them in the microwave for 5 secs. warmed them up, but didn't effect the *click*.
But they now have a nice buttery popcorn smell! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]