Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Four Kinds of Atheists. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396646)

David Sklansky 12-12-2005 05:51 AM

Four Kinds of Atheists.

1. Those who deep down want there to be no God so they don't have to answer to him

2. Those who feel that if God is as portrayed in the bible he is undeserving of worship.

3. Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue agianst the necessity of a God to explain things.

4. Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible

Only the fourth type of atheist should be taken seriously.

12-12-2005 06:55 AM

Re: Four Kinds of Atheists.

This fourth type of atheists is a common one, but there is another related type who should be given the same respect. Consider those like, Marcel Proust who, although alive in a time of relative scientific simplicity, was intellectually incapable of religious belief. He, and many others were incapable as a matter of philosophical acumen. Pricipal did not allow them to take the easy route. Speaking from this viewpoint myself, I can say that it is not necessarily the need to explain away the phenomenon of our world that precipitates this lack of faith. On a basis of purely logical precepts without recourse to existents, religious belief can be obviated.
The reason I say this type of atheist is related is because of the affinity between science and philosophy. These two types may deep down be the same, possibly a matter of semantics. Posssibly this second type is one who intuitively senses the fact that science is more apt to deliver a logocally consistent articulation of the dynamics of our world.

Cambraceres

Siegmund 12-12-2005 07:02 AM

I think some of the Type 3s are very similar to the Type 4s - differing only in having spotted the pattern of the 'shrinking realm of the supernatural' sooner. It almost sounds to me like atheist mathematicians are Type 3s, and atheist scientists are Type 4s.

Science's basic argument isn't that its impossible for their to be a god, only unnecessary. Now then, if we apply Occam's Razor and say "then let's operate on the assumption there isn't a god", we are applying a 400-year-old philosophical principle that happens to have a place in modern science. Which category does that put us in?

I certainly agree that Type 1 and Type 2 atheists are something different from Type 3 and Type 4 atheists.

12-12-2005 07:05 AM

I tend to give David credit for intelligence and well thought out questions.

I am assuming that nowhere does David claims those four are the only reasons to be atheist. If that is the inference, altough not explicitly stated, I would feel like I had to barge in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Even regarding only those four types, I feel that the type 2) could be qualified in a way that would need to take them seriously too. Lets say only a subset of 2) should not be taken seriously, the remainder should . [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Siegmund 12-12-2005 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I feel that the type 2) could be qualified in a way that would need to take them seriously too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem, at least as I see it, is that even if the Type 2 people are absolutely correct, they have *only* given a reason to *not worship* God, but failed to find any basis for asserting that the picture of God painted in Scripture is inaccurate. Conscientious objectors to the religious draft, as it were. We just need a more descriptive word to describe this belief than 'atheism'. Type 1s we could call 'insincere atheists'. I don't have a name for Type 2s but I wish I did now.

12-12-2005 07:54 AM

Nobody's challenging the idea that it's accurate to divide atheists into 4 distinct 'types'?

I'd have thought there'd be a million different reasons why people arrive at an atheistic position, or any position. And I suspect that if you had to come up with the most basic 'type' it'd be something like 'atheist is the default position, you have to prove god not disprove god'. I'm agnostic myself - but that kind of thinking clearly makes sense. Do I have to prove that flying giraffes don't exist?

chezlaw 12-12-2005 09:20 AM

Strangly I disagree.

Nothing in science has done anything to discredit god, so if it wasn't sensible to be an athiest 200+ years ago it still isn't today.

I notice you suddenly switched to 'biblical god' in 4) which is the only way what you said can make any sort of sense.

chez

Charon 12-12-2005 10:36 AM

I wonder, if you can't take an atheist of type 3 seriously, then is it possible to take any kind of religous person seriously?

chezlaw 12-12-2005 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder, if you can't take an atheist of type 3 seriously, then is it possible to take any kind of religous person seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]
3 is a strawman. The philosophical basis of athiesm is not that god isn't necessary to explain things.

chez

txag007 12-12-2005 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing in science has done anything to discredit god, so if it wasn't sensible to be an athiest 200+ years ago it still isn't today.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point DS was making is that recent discoveries in science make the need for God's control less likely in order to keep the world spinning, universe ticking, etc.

I view it differently. The more we discover about how our universe operates, the more likely that it was very intricately designed rather than a random occurrence. It baffles me that someone could have kids and not see this.

chezlaw 12-12-2005 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The point DS was making is that recent discoveries in science make the need for God's control less likely in order to keep the world spinning, universe ticking, etc.

I view it differently. The more we discover about how our universe operates, the more likely that it was very intricately designed rather than a random occurrence. It baffles me that someone could have kids and not see this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's DS's point but its not right. Science may have provided insight into the nature of god's world (if god existed) but says nothing about the existence of god or otherwise.

chez

Charon 12-12-2005 11:01 AM

I was looking at the more general statement Sklansky seemingly tries to make that atheism purely on a philosophical basis should not be taken seriously. Maybe I misread him, but if this was his intention, it seems to me that likewise ANY religous person should in his opinion not be taken seriously.

But I dont read this forum often, so good chance I misread his intentions.

chezlaw 12-12-2005 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at the more general statement Sklansky seemingly tries to make that atheism purely on a philosophical basis should not be taken seriously. Maybe I misread him, but if this was his intention, it seems to me that likewise ANY religous person should in his opinion not be taken seriously.

But I dont read this forum often, so good chance I misread his intentions.

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably got it right but its just DS's funny ways. Obviously you don't need any reason at all to be an athiest. Reasons are needed to believe, not to not believe.

I take most people fairly seriously but why intelligent people think you need scientific evidence to see that theist's beliefs are not based on reason or evidence is a mystery. Just ask them why they believe.

chez

PrayingMantis 12-12-2005 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Science may have provided insight into the nature of god's world (if god existed) but says nothing about the existence of god or otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct.

soko 12-12-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Those who deep down want there to be no God so they don't have to answer to him

2. Those who feel that if God is as portrayed in the bible he is undeserving of worship.

3. Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue agianst the necessity of a God to explain things.

4. Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

What about the people who just don't give a [censored] and don't need to rationalize everything and look for approval?

imported_luckyme 12-12-2005 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1st farmer that killed his goat, only to realize that water and gorilla sht were the reason oats grew better had all the information needed to justify thinking, "hmmm, so it's not so bright to assume a incredibly improbable story that explains nothing just because I don't understand some detail yet."

#4 types are the ones I would respect the least, since they're thinking they need a reason NOT to believe. They are closet Gappers.. And their disbelief today is no more justified than it was 400 years ago.

hmkpoker 12-12-2005 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.evolutionary.tripod.com/d..._1996_full.pdf

Read pages 43-45.

12-12-2005 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which type are you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm #2 & #4... but more of a "skeptic" by nature... who has learned that things that are far fetched usally aren't true, and therefore I need more evidence of them being true. I'm not sure what #3 means, by the way. Maybe I'm that too.

Should an amalgamated atheist be taken seriously too? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

peritonlogon 12-12-2005 03:05 PM

I thought this might be light and amusing... a sort of converse, kind of like Kant's 4 antinomes....

4 types of Theists

1) Those who deep down want there to be a God because they feel the need to answer to someone.

2) Those who feel that God is portrayed in the Bible and with all of his bloodshed and forgiveness, he is deserving of worship.

3) Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue for the necessity of a God to explain the existence of things.

4)Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. And while, they notice just how far science has come, realize that the gulf between things know and things unknown always seems to grow, the more knowledge that is attained. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now even more reasonable than ever to expect that even more unexplained phenomenon will have to be attributed to the God of the bible.

*note, I am not a Theist, nor do I think that any type of reasoning whatsoever can lead one towards or away from God.

bocablkr 12-12-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*note, I am not a Theist, nor do I think that any type of reasoning whatsoever can lead one towards or away from God .

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasoning is precisely how one moves away from god.

Lestat 12-12-2005 03:26 PM

That's true, but what were a people of 1000 years ago to have thought of an event which ocurred last Dec 26th?

Bright sunny day, men are out fishing, woman are attending to their children and domestic chores. All of a sudden, out of nowhere the sea rises and swallows entire villages whole! Tens of thousands dead.

They knew nothing of tectonic plates shifting hundreds of miles away beneath the sea. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. No human could have possibly caused this. It seems an almost rational conclusion to believe that this havoc was wrought by an angry god or supreme being. What other logical explanation was there?

I'm pretty convinced it was events such as these, that started the "god concept" in the first place. And I don't blame them. It was not an intelligence issue, but rather a lack of knowledge about the environment in which they lived.

Yes, the intelligent farmer may have figured out the process of fertilization over sacrifice, but there were still many things that were best left explained by a god.

imported_luckyme 12-12-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the intelligent farmer may have figured out the process of fertilization over sacrifice, but there were still many things that were best left explained by a god.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't explain the success of early godless cultures. Religion is socially based, we're crowd followers mostly.

We evolved a cause-effect viewpoint, as do animals, we think in those terms because 'it works'. Watch a chimpanzee during an approaching thunderstorm. The alpha hears 'something' crashing stuff around, so he runs toward it, threatening the 'shaker of trees'. Loud Clap, and he runs back and 'presents himself' to the obviously approaching Meta-Alpha. And we're off to the races.

Some cultures managed to break loose of the 'Meta-Alpha' mindset sooner than others, but it's such a powerful social tool in many ways that it isn't easy. Zen concepts fit into the discoveries of modern science better than any other approach, it's just a matter of when a culture arrives at accepting the universe as it is, if ever.

12-12-2005 03:48 PM

My objection your objection, Midge, is that this atheist's view of God is too limited. A true atheist should not IMO just reject one version of God, but all versions as impossible. One can be a theist but still feel that the Christian God is unworthy of worship. He only needs to believe in another kind of god, who doesn't even need have to have a specific definition.

imported_luckyme 12-12-2005 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Those who deep down want there to be a God because they feel the need to answer to someone.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
nor do I think that any type of reasoning whatsoever can lead one towards or away from God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute.
Seriously, #1 covers all believers if you just cut it off after "...feel the need." without qualifying it. All others are subtypes. You don't 'reason' yourself into faith, it's faith first, reasons to follow.

Comments by theists on their specific 'reasons to believe' usually coincide with the need being filled.

12-12-2005 03:50 PM

Or towards God. Reason is just a tool.

12-12-2005 04:01 PM

5: people who are atheists because they were raised that way, not because they came to it based on psychological need or philosophy.

12-12-2005 04:06 PM

Should their position be taken seriously?

UATrewqaz 12-12-2005 04:12 PM

Heck if you really want it break it down almost everything everybody believes is based on something other than a well though out rational position.

They believe it cause they were taught it growing up, or because they really WANT it to be true, or believe it to be mainstream or believe it to be anti-mainstream, etc.

12-12-2005 04:17 PM

"Heck if you really want it break it down almost everything everybody believes is based on something other than a well though out rational position."

Most people yes, and I'd agree that they should not be taken seriously. However, I hold out the hope that there are some who's ideas should be taken seriously, or I wouldn't read philosophy or browse this forum.

RJT 12-12-2005 04:31 PM

In the movie <u>Absence of Malice</u>, Paul Newman plays a liquor distributor with a shady past. Sally Field portrays a newspaper reporter covering a murder investigation. In her investigation she comes upon “evidence” that suggests that Newman’s character was involved in the crime. (He was not involved.)

At one point Newman asks Field, “What do you think you know?”

I can’t help but think of this line when I read things like:

[ QUOTE ]
4. Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not suggesting the #4 atheist feels that he knows anything. I am wondering, though, why this atheist feels he knows more than he would have known had he lived x number of years ago?

It seems to me that we know only more intricate details of how things work than we did years ago. I do not see ruling out God (or making Him more viable) as more logical today than it was yesteryear. (Certainly, some of the nuances of some beliefs have to be reviewed and either re- interpreted or ruled out.)

The last part of #4 is where I see men of science making their “error”:

[ QUOTE ]
…that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, things will be “explained by science”. But, I find nothing to justify “rather than …God” should be assumed. The scenario can just as well be explained by science yet still include God. The probability of God is the same today as it was years ago.

So I ask the (can be rhetorical) question: What do you (the #4 atheist) think you know?

RJT

bocablkr 12-12-2005 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, things will be “explained by science”. But, I find nothing to justify “rather than …God” should be assumed. The scenario can just as well be explained by science yet still include God. The probability of God is the same today as it was years ago.

So I ask the (can be rhetorical) question: What do you (the #4 atheist) think you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man used to believe in many gods. Science and knowledge killed them off. The last remaining god is used to answer the question 'where did we come from'? The answers to that question have become much clearer in the last century. The discovery of DNA and its implications has probably done more to show where we came from than any other discovery. Once, I was convinced of evolution there was no need for the 'LAST' god.

peritonlogon 12-12-2005 04:58 PM

reason is a tool that can neither affirm nor deny god. "God" in its very nature is irrational.

Piers 12-12-2005 05:06 PM

You seem to assume that religion is the default, and someone needs a reason to be an atheist (whatever that is). For instance how about:

5 The person who was brought up to believe that religion was all aloud of nonsense, and can’t see what all the fuss is about.

6. Someone who just thinks it’s obvious that religion is a silly fantasy. No $hit, just gut instinct.

Maybe you could argue that they have not thought enough about the subject to be take seriously. Although they might argue the subject is not important enough to be worth the effort.

7. Also what about someone who asks the question why does religion exist?

Comes to the conclusion that the reason is entirely due to our inbuilt desire to create religious belief. Hence religion exists independent of the truth of the matter. (If God exists believers would believe in God in just the same way if he did not exist, If God does not exist believers would believe in God in just the same way if he did exist.)

Such a person might well conclude that a typical religious belief should therefore be treated at the same level as any other human fantasy. “I reckon it’s as least as likely I can get to Narnia through my bedroom wardrobe than a biblical God exists”.

[ QUOTE ]
Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible

[/ QUOTE ]

I always consider the argument “I can not understand this, hence God, as farfetched as the idea must exist” to be horrible, but typical human arrogance.

Compare it to the argument of the poker player who reasons, “I have had a significant loosing steak. I know I am a winning player, hence as farfetched as it might seem the loosing steak must be due to the site/casino being rigged against me.”

Why do people not accept their limitations rather than invent fictional structures to get around them?

I believe that even in the pre technological age, there were still people who could accept that not being able to understand an unexplained phenomenon just meant they could not understand it. And did not use this as an excuse to fantasise explanations just to satisfy their ego. Although I admit modern science makes this position more natural.

snowden719 12-12-2005 05:13 PM

what about
5) those who believe that a Christian God cannot exist as the amount of evil in the world is incompatible with a god who is perfectly good and omnipotent/omniscient

peritonlogon 12-12-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd have thought there'd be a million different reasons why people arrive at an atheistic position, or any position. And I suspect that if you had to come up with the most basic 'type' it'd be something like 'atheist is the default position, you have to prove god not disprove god'. I'm agnostic myself

[/ QUOTE ]

An Agnostic is an Atheist without conviction. Historically it was an oratorical change, Atheists were thought of as asserting that there is no god, rather than simply not affirming one, so "Agnostic" was coined to assert a lack of knowing that there is a god.

As an aside, Atheists are perhaps the group of people most persecuted for holding an idea in history. Which is ironic since all they do is not hold its converse.

Lestat 12-12-2005 05:38 PM

<font color="blue"> That doesn't explain the success of early godless cultures. Religion is socially based, we're crowd followers mostly. </font>

I'm showing my ignorance, but I can't think of an ancient godless culture. The ancient Egytians certainly believed at the very least, in an after life. Can you provide an example of an ancient non-religious culture?

Rduke55 12-12-2005 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> That doesn't explain the success of early godless cultures. Religion is socially based, we're crowd followers mostly. </font>

I'm showing my ignorance, but I can't think of an ancient godless culture. The ancient Egytians certainly believed at the very least, in an after life. Can you provide an example of an ancient non-religious culture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this as well.
Invariably, your successful ancient cultures were very religious (and probably, IMO, religion was neccessary for their success -nothing sets up a hierarchy better than religion).

12-12-2005 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That doesn't explain the success of early godless cultures. Religion is socially based, we're crowd followers mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a guess, but perhaps the godless cultures lost out to those with gods. Perhaps the tendency to postulate a god (or gods) is a life-preserving trait.

Rduke55 12-12-2005 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a guess, but perhaps the godless cultures lost out to those with gods. Perhaps the tendency to postulate a god (or gods) is a life-preserving trait.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess there weren't any godless cultures. Probably godless "bands"

12-12-2005 06:10 PM

5) those who like to hold it over their peers for a sense of superiority because they dropped out of college after 2 weeks to play poker........nah.....