Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Wait, turns out New Orleans is screwed after all (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=325869)

Chobohoya 08-30-2005 10:26 AM

Wait, turns out New Orleans is screwed after all

story

I was really excited last night that it hadn't flooded. Guess that was a bit premature.

Patrick del Poker Grande 08-30-2005 10:30 AM

Re: Wait, turns out New Orleans is screwed after all

They just declared martial law in SE Louisiana. "There are no more civil rights in the city of New Orleans or SE Louisiana." The central business district was dry last night, but it's flooding now. The water's rising.

lucas9000 08-30-2005 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no electricity in the city for four to six weeks

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

tek 08-30-2005 11:10 AM

Warning: politically incorrect statement to follow...

They were screwed the minute they decided to live in a fuking flooded swamp. But hey, they had 200 years of fun [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

lucas9000 08-30-2005 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They were screwed the minute they decided to live in a fuking flooded swamp. But hey, they had 200 years of fun [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

while we're being politically incorrect, i hope the people who didn't evacuate and are now crying for someone to save them had a damn good reason for not leaving when told to do so before.

IndieMatty 08-30-2005 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while we're being politically incorrect, i hope the people who didn't evacuate and are now crying for someone to save them had a damn good reason for not leaving when told to do so before.

[/ QUOTE ]

oddly enough my moms called me sunday morning and was crying that my brother was still there; I told her they were both drama queens. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Freakin 08-30-2005 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oddly enough my moms called me sunday morning and was crying that my brother was still there; I told her they were both drama queens. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatar just ran out of bandwidth.

Freakin

Ed Miller 08-30-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For many of them: No money, no car, and one million people in line in front of them with money and a car to get out of the city.

To be fair, it's only about a five mile walk from many of these neighborhoods to the Superdome. Once it became clear that they couldn't get out, they could have sucked it up and walked to the Superdome. I'm sure many did.

But more importantly, I don't think you understand the context of this. New Orleaneans are asked to evacuate for a hurricane maybe once every year or two. Every one so far for the last forty years has missed. There's a serious crying wolf effect. (Not that the evacuation orders in past years were imprudent, mind you.)

You're in your house with three kids and elderly grandparents five miles from nowhere safe with no car and no cash. You're told, "get the hell out," just like you've been told twenty times before. Some people are going to make the wrong decision. I don't think it's fair to say, "Well, they died (or almost died) because they were too dumb to evacuate." There's just more to it than that.

Bottom line is this is a disaster that no one deserved (though it's hard to say that anything in life is really deserved). Rather than look for people to blame, try just being sympathetic to the probably hundreds or thousands who died and to the hundreds of thousands who lost their homes.

InchoateHand 08-30-2005 01:25 PM

How dare you enter complex, reasoned, understanding to a smugly asinine thread?

lucas9000 08-30-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But more importantly, I don't think you understand the context of this. New Orleaneans are asked to evacuate for a hurricane maybe once every year or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

according to the article linked by the op, they were ordered to evacuate.