Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   44 from the BB in a $555 Stars Turbo (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362259)

The Yugoslavian 10-21-2005 04:32 AM

44 from the BB in a $555 Stars Turbo

So far the table had been extremely tight (as you can tell by chip stacks).

Also, 4 people were disconnected and/or sitting out due to the partial internet meltdown. I was having a hard time actually being able to see my hand and act as my internet kept going in and out (a few hands I missed completely). Every hand was taking forever due to all of this and very few hands were being played.

Button hadn't really become active yet and had played a few hands post flop with small pots. I really can't say I had a read on what he was going to push here unfortunately.

I had only played two hands from MP up to this point and both times the rest of the table folded to me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed)

MP1 (t1665)
MP2 (t340)
MP3 (t1955)
CO (t1225)
Button (t1590)
SB (t1950)
Yugo (t1530)
UTG (t1305)
UTG+1 (t1940)

Yugo is BB with 4c, 4d

6 folds
Button (1590) goes allin
1 fold

Yugo?

tigerite 10-21-2005 04:40 AM

Re: 44 from the BB in a $555 Stars Turbo

I'd fold under normal circumstances, but if your connection was doing the lambada and stuff, it might not be a bad spot to gambool.. and for future "image" stuff and all that I suppose.

Depends how lucky you're feeling.

bennies 10-21-2005 04:51 AM

About 1300 to win 1800. 44 is about a coin flip if he pushes top 20% or more.

Go for it. Bully the table if you won. Eat pasta only the rest of the year otherwise.

Scuba Chuck 10-21-2005 05:07 AM

I assume you're asking because you think that the current internet connectivity issues are affecting the game, creating some other non-ordinary game issues? Otherwise, this seems like a pretty easy decision.

tigerite 10-21-2005 05:51 AM

I think he must be. Can't believe Yugo would post about 44 calling in this situation otherwise.

Also having connection issues might cause him to tilt, I don't know as I'm not sure how well he can cope with it, but it's probably the most annoying thing to have to deal with when playing online poker. I was pretty pissed when my PSU went 'bam' when I had 4 $33s open, so I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have it up and down whilst playing a $555.

The Yugoslavian 10-21-2005 12:33 PM

Gonna answer the question?

Yugoslav

z32fanatic 10-21-2005 01:16 PM

I fold this every time. With 7 BB I don't like calling in hopeful coinflip situation if I think I am one of the better players at the table and play the short stack well. If I had 1000 or less I would call. With your stack, I would call with 77 or higher.

The once and future king 10-21-2005 01:20 PM

I would have thought anyone who had spent as much time on these forums as you would know that this spot is a clear opportunity to quarg.

citanul 10-21-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quarg.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that when you fart when hiccupping?

citanul

The once and future king 10-21-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quarg.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Noob!!!

citanul 10-21-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quarg.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Noob!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned?

The Yugoslavian 10-21-2005 01:38 PM

I assume you're sober now.

SO ANSWER MY QUESTION DAMNIT!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yugoslav

The once and future king 10-21-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quarg.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Noob!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drunk?

pooh74 10-21-2005 01:49 PM

I don't understand...Isnt this fold with OR without the connectivity issues? I don't see the hook here.

The Yugoslavian 10-21-2005 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand...Isnt this fold with OR without the connectivity issues? I don't see the hook here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have made it a poll or something...

I think many will have very different views on what the best play is here.

Unfortunately no one seems to care. Maybe I should pull a Raptor and just start berating people.

Yugoslav

wuwei 10-21-2005 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately no one seems to care. Maybe I should pull a Raptor and just start berating people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're learning...

Here's the thing. This table is tighter than Yugo sitting at a 1/2 NL table. Look at those blinds. Look at those stack sizes.

[censored] it. Call, take a flip, river quads, and pwn them.

Block theory, bitches.

pooh74 10-21-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're learning...

Here's the thing. This table is tighter than Yugo sitting at a 1/2 NL table. Look at those blinds. Look at those stack sizes.

[censored] it. Call, take a flip, river quads, and pwn them.

Block theory, bitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm..Ok, i understand now. You are insane Yugo.

If the table is so tight and 4 (?) people are sitting out, why are you thinking about calling into a flip for 200 when you should be stealing yourself? I think pushing EVERY single hand where you are first to act is better than calling with this...

Tell me what else I am missing...

ps...a poll won't help...why the hell do you think we have so many dumb jokes about them?! geez..

citanul 10-21-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

you dumb fucker, you didn't tel me they were all sitting out last night.

push every hand you're first in.

c

wuwei 10-21-2005 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the table is so tight and 4 (?) people are sitting out, why are you thinking about calling into a flip for 200 when you should be stealing yourself? I think pushing EVERY single hand where you are first to act is better than calling with this...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make a second post and basically make the same argument. This is valid as well. I would feel better about calling if our pair was a little bigger.

The Yugoslavian 10-21-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my connection wasn't all that spectacular either.

I will comment on what ended up transpiring at the table after this hand in a bit. But I'm still interested in what players would do. So far everyone has been waffling on the answer but seems to think it's clear cut and/or obvious.

You all need to sack up and say what you'd do and why.

Yugoslav

pooh74 10-21-2005 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

c

[/ QUOTE ]

I will comment on what ended up transpiring at the table after this hand in a bit. But I'm still interested in what players would do. So far everyone has been waffling on the answer but seems to think it's clear cut and/or obvious.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to think it is clear cut and therefore I am not waffling...I would fold and go into steal mode. You said yourself there are a bunch of ghosts at the table so why are you battling a mortal when there is so much dead money for the taking?

Furthermore! EVEN IF there were no players sitting out and everyone was "live", I would fold in this situation because it is a -EV call plain and simple.

How is that waffling?

The only possible scenario I could dream up that would make this is a call is the rare situation where you felt you were about to lose your own connection and needed a double up to survive the other dead stacks into the money (or if the whole tournament would be called off but the prize moeney would be distributued according to stack size). But these scenarios are so far fetched I shouldnt have put them to writing.

splashpot 10-21-2005 03:58 PM

If you think your connection can hold on for a little, just fold this. Then you can most likely fold/steal your way into the money.

If you don't think your connection will hold, call and hope to double up. That way, even if your connection drops, you have a chance of outlasting the other players sitting out.

bluefeet 10-21-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
partial internet meltdown

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was having a hard time actually being able to see my hand and act as my internet kept going in and out

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every hand was taking forever...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...in a (whatever) Stars Turbo

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yugo (t1530)

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yugo is BB with 4c, 4d

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo calls.

In addition to the "yeah, you have a pair", "prob a coin toss", etc. -- which I think are valid pro-call arguements (though I fold in a heart-beat usually), you have this:

With these problems, in a turbo, your 7.5bb's will soon be <3bb's - possibly within the next orbit.

PS can be pretty slow to recognize disconnects. General slow connectivity etc., will not stop the tourney clock. This could very well be the best chance you get to get a head of the pack/blinds to avoid a pending "push/call any 2"

DMACM 10-21-2005 04:03 PM

I would fold if you think your connection is good enough that you will be able to go all in on future hands and steal from players sitting out. The only way I can see calling is if your connection was too poor to do this or that you thought there was a good chance of the internet going down completely for everyone or yourself. As chip leader after a win if the connection went down afterwards youd win by default.

pooh74 10-21-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

More reason to fold...I dont think having to make -EV plays because of a PS server problem should be a part of a strategy. This happens often and I just play the same way I normally would and then write to support afterward until I get a full refund.

No way with half the table out that you should have to gamble...they owe you 555....done!

Dr_Jeckyl_00 10-21-2005 04:36 PM

I fold. If reversed and I was on button w/ 44 I push. Wouldn't it be better for you to push during the next two hands if folded to you? You are all about equal in chip stacks this is not a good opportunity. Besides, if he is pushing any 2 they are likely over cards to your hand, he also could be pushing a pocket pair (of which only 2 you dominate)... so if you show down, at best you are a slight favorite, and you're very likely dominated with any pair 5+

bennies 10-21-2005 04:39 PM

I TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO 10 HOURS AGO! IM ALSO IN EVERYBODY!

dam this inbread forum...

kyro 10-21-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's me sacking up.

Calling is moronic. Folding is smart.

brimstone1 10-22-2005 04:35 AM

I don't think we can make decisions based on our internet connectivity, so I vote fold.

But, here's a question for the rest of you loons: what would you call with here?

my 2 cents, since thats all I can give to a $555 turbo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

wuwei 10-29-2005 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will comment on what ended up transpiring at the table after this hand in a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I've been waiting for a week now with bated breath to find out what transpired in this hand. And don't give me any crap about "I spent two days with big bootied scrippas shakin' it and me - I need time to recover."

Let's hear it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

curtains 10-29-2005 12:09 PM

Geez doesnt anyone here have SNGPT?

Against a typical range by a good player who will raise on the button with a minimum of all the hands they should raise with, this is a relatively simple call. Being that the buyin is $500, its a lot more likely they will be raising with the range of hands that we need to make this +EV.

For instance against the following range, which is tighter than almost anyone at the $500s would be:

22+,A2s+,A3o+,KTs+,KJo+,QJs

it's +.2 EV to call. The looser the range gets, the more +EV it is to call. Why there are 5 pages of responses without one single person attempting to plug the numbers into SNGPT, I have no idea.

Folding isn't "terrible" however, as the EV difference is at least relatively close, but I sure wouldn't fold...

10-29-2005 12:15 PM

Probably the dumbest fold ever. Tells you something about the 555's. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pokerstars Game #2717225290: Tournament #13326420, Hold'em No Limit - Level V [75/150]
Table '13326420 1' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: sasha086 [850 in chips]
Seat 2: sparx [2385 in chips]
Seat 3: Cbreez [2545 in chips]
Seat 4: biotechboy [1655 in chips] is sitting out
Seat 6: DC1122 [2920 in chips]
Seat 7: WittyLizard [965 in chips]
Seat 8: x-Jimmy-x [2180 in chips]
*** HOLE CARDS ***
DC1122: folds
WittyLizard: folds
x-Jimmy-x: folds
sasha086: folds
sparx1: folds
Cbreez: folds
biotechboy collected 150 from pot
biotechboy doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 150 | Rake 0
Seat 1: sasha086 folded before flop [didn't bet]
Seat 2: sparx [button] folded before flop [didn't bet]
Seat 3: Cbreez [small blind] folded before flop [didn't bet]
Seat 4: biotechboy [big blind] collected 150
Seat 6: DC1122 folded before flop [didn't bet]
Seat 7: WittyLizard folded before flop [didn't bet]
Seat 8: x-Jimmy-x folded before flop [didn't bet]

The Yugoslavian 10-29-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will comment on what ended up transpiring at the table after this hand in a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I've been waiting for a week now with bated breath to find out what transpired in this hand. And don't give me any crap about "I spent two days with big bootied scrippas shakin' it and me - I need time to recover."

Let's hear it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I barely remember.

Okay, I folded but felt it was quite close. The main reason I folded was to take advantage of the disconectees.

Unfortunately I never got the chance as everyone and their mother started pushing from EP before me and I had such notable hands as 83o, Q5o, 45s, and many other diamonds in the rough. So basically the next time it got to me since the table was moving so slowly we were already in ridiculous blinds and I pushed UTG with some crap and got called by some dominating crap.

So as it turned out this was a very key hand. When I folded I believe I even IMed bones saying 'Calling here is likely what I should normally do in a 555, but I'm gonna try to pwn the disconnect weirdness.'

The good news is that I was $555 poorer after all of this went down. Unfortunately my noose broke again after 5 seconds of almost pure hanging from the ceiling bliss....[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

Yugoslav

raptor517 10-29-2005 03:59 PM

as curtains says.. ev wise its a relatively clear call. however.. if most of the table is in and out.. it might be more +ev to fold and keep shovebotting if a lot of ppl are having trouble seeing hands. so yea yugo im beating around the bush like everyone else. holla

curtains 10-29-2005 07:21 PM

Okay if everyone is sitting out then whatever, but was that really the case? If the entire internet really is screwed, to the extent that half the table is being forced to sit out, then Im sure you could just get a refund. Pokerstars wouldn't allow a tournament to continue with such massive internet connectivity problems.

The Yugoslavian 10-29-2005 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay if everyone is sitting out then whatever, but was that really the case? If the entire internet really is screwed, to the extent that half the table is being forced to sit out, then Im sure you could just get a refund. Pokerstars wouldn't allow a tournament to continue with such massive internet connectivity problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

No go....they said my internet was good enough during the tournament.

I wonder just how many disconnects or hands missed I would have needed for a refund.

Yugoslav

bawcerelli 10-29-2005 10:45 PM

i got screwed out of 7 tourneys when on ultimate bet. their whole authentication server went bonkers and everybody was kicked off. i logged back in 1/2 later to find the tables a mess, only 2-3 players at each table fighting for blinds. anyways i didn't know wtf to do so i logged out. i later asked for a refund they basically said FU so i switched to stars.

KennyBanya 11-03-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez doesnt anyone here have SNGPT?

Against a typical range by a good player who will raise on the button with a minimum of all the hands they should raise with, this is a relatively simple call. Being that the buyin is $500, its a lot more likely they will be raising with the range of hands that we need to make this +EV.

For instance against the following range, which is tighter than almost anyone at the $500s would be:

22+,A2s+,A3o+,KTs+,KJo+,QJs

it's +.2 EV to call. The looser the range gets, the more +EV it is to call. Why there are 5 pages of responses without one single person attempting to plug the numbers into SNGPT, I have no idea.

Folding isn't "terrible" however, as the EV difference is at least relatively close, but I sure wouldn't fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still new to ICM theory, but have a question about your selection of hand ranges. I notice for unsuited aces you have A3 or better as the range. My gut would say anyone who pushes A3 would push A2.

Any specific reason to exclude A2?

Thanks,

KennyBanya