Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The bible proves that god exists argument (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=350227)

Sponger15SB 10-04-2005 11:50 AM

The bible proves that god exists argument

I'm trying to argue with someone who keeps quoting bible verses to claim that god exists and that we should believe in him.

For example, from John 15:1 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."

Now, can someone give me some ammo, especially dealing with what logical fallacy this is, etc.

I am having a hard time recalling what I learned in Philosophy 101.

Jim T 10-04-2005 11:53 AM

Re: The bible proves that god exists argument

Just write "I am God" on a piece of paper and wave that in his face as "proof" that you are divine.

Sponger15SB 10-04-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just write "I am God" on a piece of paper and wave that in his face as "proof" that you are divine.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then he will tell me that god just told him that i'm actually not god.

I will try this, but I don't think he'll buy into it or understand.

10-04-2005 12:07 PM

Unfortunately, you can't use logic and reason with those who choose to have "faith" in their beliefs no matter what.

purnell 10-04-2005 12:17 PM

I'm afraid someone who is so lost cannot be rescued.

Piers 10-04-2005 12:24 PM

There is no logical fallacy, just ridiculous assumptions.

Proof can only exist within the bounds of a model containing logic. It is possible to consider Christian beliefs that take the contents of the Bible as axiomatic such a model. Within the bounds of that model using Bible quotes to prove Gods existence is perfectly logical.

Your only recourse is to argue his basic assumptions about the Bible are unrealistic. Or better still just give up.

Jeff V 10-04-2005 12:27 PM

The Bible can't prove that God exists. It doesn't claim to either to my knowledge. It claims to be the divine word inspired by God.

Creation is only a theory, just like evolution is only a theory. Neither can be totally proven, or disproven.

Are you trying to talk some sense into your friend or something? Do you think any "ammo" you receive here would change his mind? If so why would you want to change his mind? Is he being obnoxious, rude, pushy about God etc?

If so the problem is with the person that your arguing with-not God.
Jeff

10-04-2005 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Creation is only a theory, just like evolution is only a theory. Neither can be totally proven, or disproven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, one theory has some physical evidence, and the other theory has ... faith.

eOXevious 10-04-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, one theory has some physical evidence, and the other theory has ... faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible does have a lot of Physical evidence, people just choose to not listen, or investigate.

Jeff V 10-04-2005 02:01 PM

typical reply-very intriguing