Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   NLO8/b Game, Bottom Trips (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372358)

Nemmy 11-05-2005 11:10 AM

NLO8/b Game, Bottom Trips

PokerStars (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 5.
Hero calls, MP calls, Button calls, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks...

What do you do here? I was playing at a table where people would play almost any hand, and and no one was hitting trips.

Wintermute 11-05-2005 12:26 PM

Re: NLO8/b Game, Bottom Trips

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing at a table where people would play almost any hand, and and no one was hitting trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this mean? Were you playing at a table where the laws of statistics do not apply? Your hand is garbage on the flop, b/c a low is already possible. Playing for half the pot with a very weak high is a bad idea.

Nemmy 11-05-2005 12:39 PM

When I said "no one was hitting trips", I meant it figuratively. I had been playing for awhile and did not recall anyone who had hit trips. Call me stupid, I just play in an unorthodox way, and it works for me.

Alchemist 11-05-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is garbage pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Nemmy 11-05-2005 01:01 PM

Short-handed, loose game. I play pocket pairs in Omaha like I do in hold'em - get in cheap and fold if you miss. Considering that most players in the game I was playing would play any four cards, they wouldn't have a good chance of holding a pocket pair.

Yeah, I'm stupid. Please flame me.

jb9 11-05-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play pocket pairs in Omaha like I do in hold'em

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lose a lot of money doing this.

Bottom set is a weak hand. Bottom set when a low is possible and you don't have a low and there are straight and flush draws on the board is a very weak hand.

To answer your question, on the river I would check and call 1 bet. I would fold to a bet and raise.

11-05-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I said "no one was hitting trips", I meant it figuratively. I had been playing for awhile and did not recall anyone who had hit trips. Call me stupid, I just play in an unorthodox way, and it works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're stupid.

(You did ask for that.)

Nemmy 11-05-2005 02:51 PM

Indeed, I did. Great job. Your IQ has been boosted by one point.

Phat Mack 11-05-2005 09:21 PM

When posting NL hands, it's a good idea to post bet sizes and stack sizes. It's hard to know what's going on without them.

I don't like your starting hand much. You flop a set, but low makes and there are two hearts. What's more, any A2xx's currently have nut low. I don't like little sets in NLO8 unless I have something else working. My question is: if you're going to play this hand, and then hit the flop with it, why not just shove your stack in on the flop?

Nemmy 11-05-2005 09:26 PM

Okay, here we go...I call pre-flop, hoping that someone will raise so I can re-raise them in a show that I am strong.

Raise it to 150 on the flop, representing a strong flush draw or nut low, when in reality I had bottom trips and no low.

Turn, I bet another 150.

River, I moved in, hoping to bully these players out, seeing as they were just smooth-calling. Turns out that I had the winning high hand, and there was no low.