Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Turn Checks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=282114)

rory 06-28-2005 11:10 AM

Turn Checks

When I first started playing poker, I checked behind on the turn a lot with mediocre hands. Then I figured out that people will call down with anything, so I started betting the turn with mediocre hands. Now I have reverted to checking behind on the turn sometimes against 'better' players.

Party 30/60, 5 handed.
BB is a solid player. I don't mean good by solid, just solid preflop. I haven't seen him playing any hands I wouldn't play, barring some blind defenses with J9o vs a legit raise and things like that which I generally do not do. He also seems to call too much postflop, in spots where he should be folding or raising.

I raise OTB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB calls. Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Check-bet-call. Turn is a J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I check behind.

Entity 06-28-2005 11:12 AM

Re: Turn Checks

That's a great card for a check-behind in my book. Would you check the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

MAxx 06-28-2005 11:20 AM

your read kinda indicates that he is not terrible, but calls a little too much.

pre and flop looks standard.

why not intend on bet/calling turn and folding river unimproved?

is it so unlikely for him to call a turn bet with a worse hand?

is giveing a free card not dangerous here?

wheelz 06-28-2005 11:25 AM

I started doing this a while ago as well. Feels kind of wrong sometimes, but it's worked well for me. I get a lot more bets on the river from random hands that would've folded than I expect.

Wynton 06-28-2005 11:29 AM

You say he calls too much preflop, when he should be folding or raising. Doesn't this amount to a pretty solid argument for betting the turn?

Absent that read, I think you might have more reason to check.

BottlesOf 06-28-2005 11:51 AM

I agree, most broadway card combos are ahead of you, most lower pp will fold, and maybe now they won't, or they'll even bet. Plus it's rainbow, I like the check.

SomethingClever 06-28-2005 12:03 PM

Ok, but what's your river plan?

rory 06-28-2005 12:07 PM

My plan is to put one more bet in on the river unless the river is a K or a T.

Alobar 06-28-2005 12:21 PM

given the opponent I like this play.

baronzeus 06-28-2005 01:43 PM

I've noticed that bout 80% of the time my opponent bets at me here. It's an easy river call if he does so.

I've also started doing this with good-very good hands if I sense weakness in my opponent. If I can induce him to try to steal the pot, I usually get 1 more bet or 2 more bets out of him, and other times leave him guessing as to what I had.