Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Talk me out of spending a lot of $ on HDTV (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330965)

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 04:42 PM

Talk me out of spending a lot of $ on HDTV

I'm thinking about joining the HD world.
- DLP or RPLCD + stand = ~ $2.5k
- directv HD package = $11/month
- additional sat box when I move my existing tv to living room that currently has no tv = $5/month
- Upgrade directivo box to HDtivo box = rape ($???)
- off-air antennae for network HD content = $???
- directv installation of antennae/new triple LNB dish/new line to living room for old tv = ??? (probably more rape)
- Opportunity cost of wasting more time in front of the tv instead of, um, online endeavors = $???
- dvd player because mine is old and is not progressive scan = ~$100

But it's fine because:
- wife only works part time
- we plan to have a second kid soon
- we will need a bigger car (~$30k) next year (see above)
- I don't make much in my "online endeavors" because I don't spend much time at it (see wife and soon-to-be 2 kids)
- I make mediocre money at my day job

But what are the CONS to making the upgrade?

In all seriousness, is it worth it? I've had a 27" WEGA for years. When I bought a 5.1 sound system years ago I thought it was the best thing ever. When I walk through Best Buy on a Sunday and football is on in HD, I drool. It's worth every penny, right?

jakethebake 09-06-2005 04:44 PM

Re: Talk me out of spending a lot of $ on HDTV

Don't do it, dude.

trying2learn 09-06-2005 04:46 PM

I love HD.

I bought a view sonic tv and I think they're still really reasonably priced. They've made computer monitors for a long time, but just started in on tv's, so they're still like 1/3 cheaper than your sony and other top end models.

There's no comparison to watching sports in HD.

touchfaith 09-06-2005 04:46 PM

I honestly can't see spending 2.5k on a TV when you can get a huge rear-projector (57"+) unit for under 2k.

I picked my mine for $1800 (57" Hitachi) over a year ago and they can only have gotten less expensive...

Is that with a built in HDTV converter? That's another thing I wont do, but that's more of a pet peeve. I just really prefer separate components.

PITTM 09-06-2005 04:49 PM

i just bought an 800 dollar hdtv thats not that giant. i <3 hd.

rj

kenberman 09-06-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly can't see spending 2.5k on a TV when you can get a huge rear-projector (57"+) unit for under 2k.

I picked my mine for $1800 (57" Hitachi) over a year ago and they can only have gotten less expensive...

[/ QUOTE ]

you can buy a 57 inch HDTV DLP that is NOT huge (about a foot deep, 70 pounds) for about $1800 now.

trying2learn 09-06-2005 04:56 PM

my view sonic was 1400...and pwns.

augie00 09-06-2005 04:59 PM

Dude don't do it.

IndieMatty 09-06-2005 05:00 PM

Get all of this, plus you should spend about 4k on a plasma. Its totally worth it.

touchfaith 09-06-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can buy a 57 inch HDTV DLP that is NOT huge (about a foot deep, 70 pounds) for about $1800 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fairly mouth watering. DLP's definately look better.

But, I think most places are setup to have a fairly large area where a TV would be best placed though, often times in front of a window. I just can't see the need to 'go thin' when the space is rarely an issue anyway.

It's more a cool factor.

When I read that, it just makes me think "damn I should be able to get a RP for even cheaper now..."

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Where?
I think you're thinking of rear-projection CRTs (not DLPs), which don't look as good, IMO.

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get all of this, plus you should spend about 4k on a plasma. Its totally worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yessssss
Then I'll get TWO Sunday Tickets and watch two HD football games simultaneously.
GENIUS

bravos1 09-06-2005 05:21 PM

If you do decide to buy.. do not buy a DLP! They break way to easy with all of the moving parts. Buy a LCD or plasma instead.

kenberman 09-06-2005 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Where?
I think you're thinking of rear-projection CRTs (not DLPs), which don't look as good, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it's not 57, but this
50 inch Samsung is $1,600.

as far as quality goes, well that is your opinion. it's hard to get a consensus on what is "best" these days.

kenberman 09-06-2005 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do decide to buy.. do not buy a DLP! They break way to easy with all of the moving parts. Buy a LCD or plasma instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever you do, don't just listen to posts like the above one from oot. do research on avsforum to find out what's really going on in th tv world

kenberman 09-06-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, I think most places are setup to have a fairly large area where a TV would be best placed though, often times in front of a window. I just can't see the need to 'go thin' when the space is rarely an issue anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually feel a similar way about LCD's and Plasmas. unless you are going to hang them on a wall (and run all of your electronics through the same wall, and put all your other AV gear some other place besides right underneath it) then I don't think they are worth it. I happen to have an apartment with limited space, so a DLP will work, but a hulking projection won't.

most importantly, it's easier to sell a chick on a DLP than a traditional projection unit.

adamstewart 09-06-2005 05:40 PM

For the +$1000 difference, an HDTV is not that much better than an EDTV.

Adam

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, it's not 57, but this
50 inch Samsung is $1,600.

as far as quality goes, well that is your opinion. it's hard to get a consensus on what is "best" these days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice, thanks for the link. Maybe I can get one cheaper than I thought.
Edit: that's for a used one.

guller 09-06-2005 07:45 PM

In all honesty HD is amazing at first, but after the wow factor goes away there just isn't enough programming yet. I recently canceled my HD service when VOOM busted out and really haven't missed it. It will be a lot better in a few years.

gorie 09-06-2005 07:48 PM

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my panasonic 42" hdtv plasma ($2700) get one.!

09-06-2005 07:56 PM

The only thing you need money for is to buy weapons. I reccomend the colt .45.

pokerjoker 09-06-2005 08:04 PM

I just got back from japan and they were showing off super high definition TV there. 2x the res of crappy high def. Id wait till that hits.

Uglyowl 09-06-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty HD is amazing at first, but after the wow factor goes away there just isn't enough programming yet. I recently canceled my HD service when VOOM busted out and really haven't missed it. It will be a lot better in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on where you live (for sports) and what interests you. I hate watching regular tv now.

Also Directv sucks, they rape you on the equipment, see how your local cable provider is (Comcast in my area is an A+). Directv can go to hell!

Also straight rear projection is not that good. You stand up or watch it to an angle it is pitiful.

JMP300z 09-06-2005 08:22 PM

HDTV changed my life for the better....it made me a better man....it helped me solve all my lifes problems...it is worth any amount of money.

Im not even kidding

-JP

BottlesOf 09-06-2005 08:39 PM

You just need to shop smarter. I have a 30" LCD HDTV, it cost me $800 and it rules.

wonderwes 09-06-2005 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just need to shop smarter. I have a 30" LCD HDTV, it cost me $800 and it rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Take half the cash you were planning on spending and buy a slightly lesser tv. Ebay ebay ebay. There are many decent used HDTV's out there that are still perfectly good. You be surprised the deals you will find. Just find a quality one for local pickup. Also check craigslist.com.

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also straight rear projection is not that good. You stand up or watch it to an angle it is pitiful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's one of the things holding me back. But plasma is def. more than I want to spend.

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll agree that $800 < $2,000, but you must also concede that 30" < 42".

RollaJ 09-07-2005 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Upgrade directivo box to HDtivo box = rape ($???)

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were not for this Id have gotten HD a long time ago. IMO Tivo>>>>>HD

asofel 09-07-2005 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Take half the cash you were planning on spending and buy a slightly lesser tv. Ebay ebay ebay. There are many decent used HDTV's out there that are still perfectly good. You be surprised the deals you will find. Just find a quality one for local pickup. Also check craigslist.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this craigslist.com of which you speak?

BottlesOf 09-07-2005 11:29 AM

Not for me, as a 42" wouldn't work in the room/space i have it in. But for most people, yea 42>30.

BottlesOf 09-07-2005 11:29 AM

HD receiver is free from TimeWarner and you can get DVR for $9/mo.

IndieMatty 09-07-2005 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also plasma > lcd

hedxcold 09-07-2005 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also plasma > lcd

[/ QUOTE ]
i have a 55 sony wega rear projection lcd and that picture is better then my brother in laws 50 inch plasma. i think its either a mistubishi or panasonic. i forget
anyway, i <3 my tv. i think we got it for like 2600 around christmas time. like others have said, watching sports on this amazing. you might even find yourself watching bad sitcoms just because they're in hi def

theghost 09-07-2005 11:44 AM

check out avs forum and look in the "Display Devices" category.

My recommendation is to get a digital projector. [censored] 57 inches, how about an 80-100" diagonal? No screen required if you have a light colored wall. Way cheaper than plasma, but looks as good (great color and *very* clear)...and *HUGE*.

The room will need to have blinds for daytime, but you will be watching tv that is five feet high, seven feet across.

Don't bother with rear projection.

RollaJ 09-07-2005 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If TW was available in my area I
A:wouldnt have DirecTV
B:would have HD
C:would get one bill for cable modem and TV
D:would be happy as a pig in some real stinky [censored]

CrazyEyez 09-07-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If TW was available in my area I
A:wouldnt have DirecTV
B:would have HD
C:would get one bill for cable modem and TV
D:would be happy as a pig in some real stinky [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]
I may switch back to cable if I do this. Supposedly Charter's DVR w/ Moxi is not bad even compared to tivo. So I've heard. And it does have dual tuners. At least the standard def one does.
Though I just looked at Charter's lineup for my area and it seems they have HD Fox, NBC, CBS, but not ABC? WTF?

bicyclekick 09-07-2005 12:44 PM

It's 4 months later and I sometimes just watch TV cause I like how pretty HDTV is. Have a 55" Samsung DLP and LOVE it. It's so sexy and definately makes TV worth watching. Especially sports.

09-07-2005 12:50 PM

I bought my 51 inch Hitach HDTV last year. Can't imagine watching analog or tv on a smaller screen. Sports and movies really shine.

CrazyEyez 09-07-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's 4 months later and I sometimes just watch TV cause I like how pretty HDTV is. Have a 55" Samsung DLP and LOVE it. It's so sexy and definately makes TV worth watching. Especially sports.

[/ QUOTE ]
Worrrrrd. I want it. Do you have Charter or DirecTv?
There's a 42" sony projection LCD on sale at Best Buy for $1600. Tough to pass up.