Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Gimme your critique (Grunch it) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=253343)

krishanleong 05-16-2005 01:24 PM

Gimme your critique (Grunch it)

Opponents here were pretty typical 2/4, i.e., loose and passive. Assume AGF ~1.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

This was a hand from a student of mine. Thought you guys might like it.

Krishan

mmbt0ne 05-16-2005 01:27 PM

Re: Gimme your critique (Grunch it)

Calling the river is awesome for 2 reasons.

a) You will be very, very unhappy when UTG caps it with his boat. He will almost never cap with a hand you beat.
2) You're almost guaranteed an overcall by BB, which means you'll be getting the same amount in the pot that you would had you raised, BB folds, and UTG calls with his trips. Plus, you're doing it without the fear of losing 2 more bets.

milesdyson 05-16-2005 01:29 PM

I wouldn't mind just completing preflop because BB is loose.

I like the flop and turn.

River call is good because if BB overcalls and we're good: +1 BB. If we lose, we don't lose any more BB. If we 3-bet and we're good: +1 BB (BB will probably fold) unless UTG caps trips or a lower jack. If we 3-bet and UTG has a boat: -2 BB.

MrWookie47 05-16-2005 01:31 PM

I think you'll see a naked J often enough to 3bet that river. I'd have expected you to hear from a set or two pair on the turn. I think that's a somewhat questionable raise preflop, even SH. I'd like it better if BB might actually fold, but if he's LPP, that may not happen. I'm about 50/50 complete/raise.

Edit: OK, going for overcalls is something that I need to work on. Yeah, the call here is better since BB is likely to come along.

gharp 05-16-2005 01:32 PM

(a) Why are we giving him credit for a boat and not just trip J's? If he had a boat he'd have had two pair (or a set) earlier and not raised it?

(um, 2) This is a good point, but might your typical calling station not just over call this again on the river? He's done nothing but call so far.

deception5 05-16-2005 01:32 PM

Grunching as requested....

I 3-bet the river without a very strong read.

SocialWelfareIV 05-16-2005 01:35 PM

I think I'm raising the river. Going for overcalls is ok, but I think that when it's capped it's trip jacks a pretty good chunk of the time. With that flop, UTG would probably raise two pair or a set, since there are so many draws out there he might get BB trapped.

Nyack 05-16-2005 01:44 PM

*Grunching*

I 3-bet the river, he has trips way way more often than a fullhouse. I understand that by 3-betting we may sacrifice BB's overcall but I think a typical player calls two raises often enough to be +EV.

I like the rest.

Ringo_Mojo 05-16-2005 01:48 PM

I think this is very straightforward and correct play.

With the river pairing Js and the sudden wake up by UTG that might mean a full house, but probably not so folding is a mistake. Since BB called 1 bet already, he'll most likely call the raise, but re-raising will probably put him out and cost you an extra bet if the boat does show up. So i think calling is better then raising here.

Nyack 05-16-2005 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River call is good because if BB overcalls and we're good: +1 BB. If we lose, we don't lose any more BB. If we 3-bet and we're good: +1 BB (BB will probably fold) unless UTG caps trips or a lower jack. If we 3-bet and UTG has a boat: -2 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes down to how often BB will call two vs. how often we're agaisnt a boat.

I think BB calls two more about 15% of the time and I think we're hardly ever up agaisnt a boat here.

Also UTG may cap 3 Jacks.