Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Godfather Movies (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278446)

jakethebake 06-23-2005 10:52 AM

Re: The Godfather Movies

[ QUOTE ]

I just like Bobby DeNiro as a young Don Corleone too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

bronzepiglet 06-23-2005 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if I had to pick one movie it could be hard to choose the DeNiro scenes over the Brando scenes from 1. DeNiro adds a lot, but he sort of builds on what was there and what we know about the character.

I choose 1,2,3 but wouldn't fault anybody for 2,1,3... any other combo is a little silly, of course.

hogua 06-23-2005 11:10 AM

I'm not sure, but I think that was done for a network (maybe CBS) several years ago ans shown as a mini-series. I've seen it pop up on cable a few times (Bravo maybe).

jakethebake 06-23-2005 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever see that version of I and II they put out that combined both of them into one movie and put all the scenes in sequence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sawe a version of this awhile back, and they just completely eliminated the entire young Godfather stuff. I kept waiting for it. I was so pissed.

sfer 06-23-2005 11:50 AM

The original is fun. Three is boring. Two is a masterpiece.

swede123 06-23-2005 12:18 PM

The first one is great. The second one is incredible. The third one is ok.

Robert DeNiro > Marlon Brando.

Swede

Blarg 06-23-2005 03:40 PM

I'm a way bigger DeNiro fan than Brando, but I picked 1,2,3. I don't think DeNiro's character was really developed very well. There's a missing movie in there somewhere, with only a few sketchy high points hit to remind us of it. I'd still be very happy to see that missing movie.

I think the first one had a better narrative through-line and structure and more interesting characters and character development than the second one.

Never saw the third.

Nottom 06-23-2005 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever see that version of I and II they put out that combined both of them into one movie and put all the scenes in sequence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sawe a version of this awhile back, and they just completely eliminated the entire young Godfather stuff. I kept waiting for it. I was so pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you didn't just miss the beginning of the movie?

yoadrians 06-23-2005 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you didn't just miss the beginning of the movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they ran on 'Bravo', and yes, he must've missed the beginning of the movie, because the old scenes were def. there.

As for me, I go back and forth. In the end, though, I try to ask myself: If I could ONLY watch GI or GII for the rest of my life, and NEVER see the other again, which one would I choose? Asking it that way, I would have to pick the first one, ONLY because it's a better stand-alone movie. Kind of like the first 'Star Wars' (actually, EIV, A New Hope) - it stands on it's own and is the one I'd like to watch over and over again the most, even though I think EV: The Empire Strikes Back is the strongest part of the orig. trilogy.

Within the trilogy, I believe Godfather II is the best overall movie. But the best stand-alone movie is GI. So I guess I'm on the fence: 1 is the one I like to WATCH more, but 2 is the BEST of the trilogy.

Do you understand? Do I make any sense at all here?

LargeCents 06-23-2005 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted 1,2,3. But, I see your point. A young DeNiro and a young Pacino in the same movie, are you kidding me?! Both were in their prime and doing what they do best. I voted 1 over 2 only because 1 stands on it's own and sets the stage for 2. Both are great. 3 is decent, but is a notch below the other two.