Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   The hardest part of NL Holdem is.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400348)

TomCollins 12-17-2005 03:48 PM

The hardest part of NL Holdem is....

I suppose we could get some interesting responses by fillowing out the ending of this. Try to keep it to a short phrase or single word.

I'll start.

The hardest part of NL Holdem is knowing when to fire a second bullet.

pokerjoker 12-17-2005 04:05 PM

Re: The hardest part of NL Holdem is....

I think this post really depends what level you are at.

for me it is
-to keep focus.
-This might require explaination, but math is also a lot more important than most players think.

rikz 12-17-2005 04:14 PM

Play an overpair versus a flop check/min-raise when the pot is already 1/5 your stack from preflop betting.

Figuring out that folding is usually +EV.

Playing heads up when a full table breaks up with a guy that pops in an goes all-in just about every hand preflop and pushes just about every flop.

pokerjoker 12-17-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing heads up when a full table breaks up with a guy that pops in an goes all-in just about every hand preflop and pushes just about every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the easiest situation in poker for me....wait for a an AJ+/88+ then get it allin when u have an overpair or top pair.

Sephus 12-17-2005 04:27 PM

folding is zero EV. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

usi34 12-17-2005 05:03 PM

For me The hardest part of NL Holdem is playing big pairs with deep stacks. I always tell myself I'm not going to get involved in a big pot but it always happens

rikz 12-17-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the easiest situation in poker for me....wait for a an AJ+/88+ then get it allin when u have an overpair or top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate calling an all-in with AJ or 88, even if I know it's positive EV given the maniac's behavior. Even a maniac picks up a real hand sometimes.

I think this is really a bank roll management question. I shouldn't be playing heads up if I can't be happy losing AQs to T7o when it all goes in before the flop. Nevertheless, I find it hard to do when it took 3-hours to double my buy-in and now that the table's short I can lose it in one hand to a maniac while doing everything right.

It's probably the magnitude of variance against a maniac that I find hardest to deal with at NL and this is just one example. Fortunately, maniacs really don't last long. I just like being the guy that busts him A LOT more than being one of the guys he stacks once or twice before he busts out.

rikz 12-17-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding is zero EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, folding is often -(-EV). So I just abbreviated it with '+'EV. I did the math right, here, didn't I?

swolfe 12-17-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
folding is zero EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, folding is often -(-EV). So I just abbreviated it with '+'EV. I did the math right, here, didn't I?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, no...folding is always 0 EV. what you're trying to say is that sometimes 0 is the highest EV available.

Sephus 12-17-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
folding is zero EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its greater EV than something thats negative EV, but not positive EV. i was just being nitty thats why i [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]