Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   AKs deep in a tourny (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381456)

11-19-2005 07:21 AM

AKs deep in a tourny

I think I have lost more money with AK in my all ins then with any other hand. How foldable is it deep in tournies, knowing that the only hands a player pushes with is going to be a pair where they are a slight favorite or AK.... which you have. This is my last significant hand in a stars tourny where i thought i was going to win... is AK foldable here seeing that i have a healthy chipstack?

Background- only 25 players left, no good money till final table. Average stack around 50k.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t64745)
CO (t63066)
Button (t79885)
SB (t59116)
BB (t68833)
UTG (t154315)
AcesFall (t43027)
MP1 (t42439)
MP2 (t30919)

Preflop: AcesFall is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t3000, <font color="#CC3333">AcesFall raises to t9000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t30769</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG folds, AcesFall calls t21769.

Flop: (t65588) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t65588) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t65588) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t65588

He had 99... which i did not expect, but im still a slight dog to his hand. I am growing a great disdain for AK.

TheJackal 11-19-2005 10:15 AM

Re: AKs deep in a tourny

You played it right. I hate AK as well, lost 3 all-in's with AK vs shorter stacks in the sunday 215 within the span of 2 rounds. AK is pretty overrated, although each time I think I was correct to play it each and everytime (ran into 33,88,99 and ran into sets twice). Deep in tournaments, AK I just don't think is a folding hand against a reraise.

11-19-2005 10:44 AM

last night i laid down AQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the small blind(avg. stack too) against 3x BB raise from UTG, it folded around to me and i folded. the BB called and the flop had 2 clubs.i would of had a draw to the nuts. the BB folded to the flop bet from UTG and the hand ended there. We were down to the last 4 tables of the PS $10-one rebuy-one add-on tourney. I feel this was a very crucial hand in the tounament for me. Had i called and hit my flush i would of had a good chance to make the final table. However, i just don't have much experience this deep into tourneys and basically choked. i ended up finishing 21st. Anyway, when you get the cards you have to push, especially during inflection point play.

"AK= Anna Kournikova- looks good but never wins!"

mblax10 11-19-2005 11:03 AM

You're getting better than 2 to 1 and are a slight favorit against his range of hands, if you include him pushing with AQ or making a play with junk. Unless villan is super tight, I don't think it's a tough call. Good chance to double up. You're M is only ~7 and you look to be one of the shorter stacks in the tournament, if you want FT money, you're going to have to make a move pretty soon.

For what it's worth, I raise more after UTG limps. You're 3X raise with one limper is asking the BB and possibly a player behind you to see the flop. It also will make later decisions easier. It gives you better odds to call a PF all-in and you'll pretty much be pushing or folding the flop.

nath 11-19-2005 04:45 PM

Meh. Your play was fine. Races happen.
What you have to keep in mind is the times the AK DOES pull it out here and you've got a stack that can make a run at the final table.
Your stack isn't healthy here. You have an M of about 8 and you're below the average stack. Don't be so results oriented here. If you fold AKs in these spots you won't win tournaments.

Hickboy 11-19-2005 04:48 PM

AK is just one of those hands you have to win with late in a tournament. Easy as that.

There's a lot of luck down the stretch when the blinds are huge. You have to push these types of hands to have a chance of making a final table.

11-19-2005 04:49 PM

The key here is to have more chips, like 90k, going into the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But yeah, this hand is very standard.